• This topic has 108 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Aldi – dispatches.
  • Kryton57

Out of date food, products thrown about to meet stocking deadlines, underpaid overtargetted limited staff* was reported according to Dispatches.

Might not bother again.

*The exception according to Aldi.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

They could create the same documentary about any of their rivals I’m sure.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m sure they could flag up similar issues but I’d be surprised if any others were quite as bad.

nealglover
    Free Member

Out of date food, products thrown about to meet stocking deadlines, underpaid overtargetted limited staff

Describes every supermarket, everywhere.

Best start avoiding all of them I reckon ?

MoreCashThanDash

As glasgowdan said, pretty lazy documentary I thought

Top paying business expects staff to work damn hard to earn it.

Some staff cut corners to do so

Sometimes that affects the product/customer.

Aldi are hardly unique in that sector, let alone across all industries.

My local branch appears to have happy, hardworking staff dealing with some quite challenging customers at times. I can check the products I put in my trolley for quality and dates before I buy them. Hardly going to shop elsewhere on the back of a Daily Wail style “look what we found” TV expose of a couple of their branches.

grahamt1980

I did think the one who thought it was a good idea to kneel on a glass freezer top was a prize one.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Wasn’t Aldi one of the recent companies to announce they are paying the proper full fat living wage?

Aldi is great in my experience. The fruit and veg is not quite as good or lasts as long as the more pricy supermarkets, but its a quarter of the price and I just purchase less and more often. And for the vast majority of products their own brand is every bit as good as the main brands. Actually as I’m saving so much at Aldi on the weekly staples (average bill is a bit more than a third of the equivalent at Sainsburys) I’ve started getting meat and veg from a proper butchers and grocers or local farm shop. Far superior to any supermarket and not that much more expensive. So I am supporting the local smaller suppliers/shops more than I was before I made the switch to Aldi.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Wasn’t Aldi one of the recent companies to announce they are paying the proper full fat living wage?

Lidl

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

products thrown about to meet stocking deadlines, underpaid overtargetted limited staff* was reported

Interestingly, that thread about “working at Chain Reaction” has been deleted. Not just closed to replies, but deleted.

PMK2060

Best before dates on fruit and vegetables just cause waste as it means good food is thrown away. If the way they were stacking the shelves was damaging product people would stop buying it. If the stock rotation was that bad Aldi would not be able to cope with the wastage costs.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wish we had an Aldi or Lidl near us instead of Morrisons which is 500 yards away. Convenience is great, but it’s also shit.

wolly
    Free Member

You’re not wrong ess, BB has the worst Morrisons ever

MussEd
    Free Member

Apparently some of that programme was filmed in my local Aldi. I shall return tomorrow expecting a renewed atmosphere of unstinting passion for customer service, excellent produce at affordable prices and Unending supplies of Taurus cider.

Kunstler

I’ve got Tesco and Sainsbury just around the corner but now bike five miles to shop at Aldi.

I was talking to someone last week who had been a manager with Aldi but was glad to have left. He said that they treat staff well in terms of pay but work them pretty hard for it. Likewise though, staff in the stores I visit always seem fairly happy.

nealglover
    Free Member

I was talking to someone last week who had been a manager with Aldi but was glad to have left. He said that they treat staff well in terms of pay but work them pretty hard for it.

Can’t see him having a blindingly bright future if he’s put that as his reason for leaving on his CV

Seems like a reasonable plan….. to exchange wages for services.

Pretty normal I would think.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Cheap shot at a supermarket that hasn’t been shafting us for years and paying millions to their top shareholders. Our local one in Hednesford is always clean, has polite staff and as someone who always checks sell by dates I have never seen out of stock produce.

cinnamon_girl

Struggled to get parked at two different branches so gave up going. 😐

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

The Aldi we go to is good, the quality of produce and staff are excellent. I’ve no complaints.
    The Scottish store on the ‘show’ looked to be run very badly, I doubt the manager there will last long after this.
    Earlier I watched Hugh FW’s prog about food waste, supermarkets throwing away perfectly good food, then I watched Aldi being lambasted for not throwing food away!
    Mmmm

soobalias
    Free Member

hardly a surprise that a company that thrive on delivering low prices are found to cut corners with staff, stock, training etc.

same people who work all week for low pay and achievable targets designed to deliver their employer fat profits, queue up to benefit from ‘at all costs’ lowest prices

O teh ironing.

Kunstler

I didn’t see the program. Where was the store that was featured?

woodster

The stores seem to have rather a lot of variation. My current local store is a mess and staff seem fairly rubbish whereas previously I lived by one which seemed like the very model of efficiency and customer service.

I used to work at a Sainsburys as a student and there was all sorts of bad practice by some staff.

devlaeminck
    Free Member

I’ve always thought the staff in my local Aldi seem to be enjoying their job more than other supermarkets – suppose they might just be good actors but I haven’t seen any reason to stop shopping there and if I thought the staff were treated any worse than elsewhere I would.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

mitsumonkey – Member
    The Aldi we go to is good, the quality of produce and staff are excellent. I’ve no complaints.
    The Scottish store on the ‘show’ looked to be run very badly, I doubt the manager there will last long after this.
    Earlier I watched Hugh FW’s prog about food waste, supermarkets throwing away perfectly good food, then I watched Aldi being lambasted for not throwing food away!
    Mmmm

POSTED 27 MINUTES AGO #

I too thought this was rather ironic, watched dispatches on catchup, then flicked to BBC1 hughs war on waste, and thought Morrisons came across worse than Aldi did in Dispatches LOL

He then fed an entire street on skip food, hold on wasn’t dispatches just saying this was bad in Aldi

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Ps. chain reaction post is still on google cache, 😉

ourmaninthenorth

(Not seen the programme, but that’s never stopped anyone on here.)

Isn’t this thing quite old news? Google “Lidl Black Book” for more insight into the business model.

Drac

I worked in a supermarket 26 years ago for a few months after I left school. Looking back it was a bloody awful place to work, they bullied me into working longer hours, bullied me if stock got damage to take responsibility for it despite it being the juniour mangers fault. Do I blame the company? No, it was one store run by muppets. Wish I knew then what I know now.

atlaz
    Free Member

Interestingly, that thread about “working at Chain Reaction” has been deleted. Not just closed to replies, but deleted.

Bit full-on to delete the entire thread given a lot of it was quite sceptical about the truth contained within it and the rest just weren’t surprised that a cheap warehouse online retailer wasn’t that focused on staff. I personally just found it odd the person kept highlighting the correct spelling of remuneration as a spelling mistake.

I worked in a supermarket 26 years ago for a few months after I left school. Looking back it was a bloody awful place to work, they bullied me into working longer hours, bullied me if stock got damage to take responsibility for it despite it being the juniour mangers fault. Do I blame the company?

I did too but was pretty sure I could get another job like it at the drop of the hat so didn’t engage in their behaviour. They told me I was going to be fired if I went to visit my Grandfather in France as he was in hospital. I went. They called me when I got home a week later to ask why I was late for work. I was accused of dropping a pallet of jam in the warehouse and demanded to see the video footage and it went away quietly. Not NEEDING the job made it far more enjoyable but I’d never behave like that now if I was in the same situation despite being 40 and, in theory, more confident in myself.

All that said, I’ve also seen the other side. The warehouse crews stealing by taping booze and packs of cigs to their bodies to avoid being seen carrying stuff into the staff area or out of the store. Staff smashing goods, and lying about it or saying they’d smashed it and putting it in the bin (or near the bin) and collecting it on the way home. One bloke who had his grandfather die at least 4 times (usually once or twice per manager) or the other shirkers who would do the minimum putting more workload on their colleagues. The processes put in place to “fix” stuff like this took a lot of the ability of managers to actually manage people, they managed reports and processes for the most part which made staff unhappier.

Kryton57

Yup as expected.

As above it was pretty week. a guy deciding climb up racking or an idiot kneeling on a glass freezer top could happen in any store. Personally an regardless of store we check produce before we buy so wouldnt end up with a mouldy cucumber or bruised fruit. Enjoyed 2 bottles of £3 wine last week also. My son and I rugby pass the bread into the shopping trolley bettwen us so whats the issue.

We did check the carrots in the fridge that we bought from Aldi last week. According to the week/day number they were out of date the day after we bought them – last Thursday. They are carrots FFS, and still good to eat today TBH.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Didn’t see it but going by the above posts Aldi new a ” well done”.
    Sell by dates are plain stupid, running round like blue added flies should be expected, it is work and climbing racks etc sounds like common sense. I would expect a commercial freezer to hold more than just one person as well in thus bloody stupid nanny state.
    My only question about Aldi, and that’s only because I don’t know, is whether they pay farmers a decent price for milk.

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Interesting thread and agree with many of the comments but noyhing has been mentioned about the most disturbing revalation in the programme-blocked fire exits! A direct contravention of the 2005 Reglatory Reform Order and the manager of at least one of the stores admitted it and made light of it,he has some very big bollocks taking that attitude.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

the manager of at least one of the stores admitted it and made light of it

Because he was an idiot talking big to the new boy.

It made Aldi look like it is, a terrible place to shop excused by the low prices.

Like Dave Hinde, people will keep going there because they are cheap.

zilog6128

We did check the carrots in the fridge that we bought from Aldi last week. According to the week/day number they were out of date the day after we bought them – last Thursday. They are carrots FFS, and still good to eat today TBH.

they don’t actually taste of anything though, beyond being a generic crunchy thing. Yes you can still physically eat them, but they’re WAY past their best – that’s why they’re cheap.

Smudger666

Fire exits aside, which is down to management, not company policy, I,wasn’t surprised, nor was I upset by it.

As someone else said, lazy journalism – we’ve been commissioned to make a documentary and this is all we could find kind of thing.

On the few occasions the fresh stuff has looked a bit old, I’ve not picked it – complaining about the state of produce that you’ve chosen yourself is not a criticism of the retailer.

Won’t stop me saving £15-20 a week.

Klunk
    Free Member

As someone else said, lazy journalism – we’ve been commissioned to make a documentary and this is all we could find kind of thing.

call me an old cynic/conspiracy nut but one does wonder whether C4 pension plan is over subscribed to tesco shares. 😉

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Your right to a point smudger, it is a management responsibility to see they remain clear and ready for use but it is the companies responsibility to carry out a fire risk assessment and escape routes and exits form part of that- thats laid down in law! As for saying your not upset, I would be knowing I may not be able to get out because the store is to small and exits blocked by stock or the responsible person (manager on duty) is too busy to make sure they remain clear.

Watty

Maybe if Aldi were paying advertisers this would be resigned to the ether too? Just saying like!

globalti
    Free Member

Everybody feels ripped off by supermarkets and doubly so because we can’t do without them. What would happen if we registered our disgust by all going into the nearest supermarket on a certain day, filling a trolley with non-perishable goods from all corners of the store then walking out and leaving the trolleys? It would give the management a headache if nothing else.

Bazz

Doesn’t sound like my local Aldi, in fact the only complaint I have is that the car park is too small and the spaces in the car park are too narrow for all the sodding great Range Rovers that park there. And the fresh fruit and veg lasts longer than the equivalent from my local Sainsbury’s.

kcal

Stores will always vary.
    I worked in Fine fare at end of school – before I went away from home.
    First manager was great, had a great rapport with the staff, allowed to swap shifts to go to gigs. The staff responded by working with and for him. Next manager in a bigger store was much harder and morale suffered.

Our Aldi seems to be well run – quick service – and very helpful staff (always can get fruit boxes for packaging). Depends how big they are and the attitude of the manager seems to count for a lot (no surprise). I know the manager pretty well as it happens and he’s a decent lad, must see if he’s received a pep talk after the screening 🙂

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Interestingly, that thread about “working at Chain Reaction” has been deleted. Not just closed to replies, but deleted

I am sure the powers that be had their financial reasons.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Aldi – dispatches.’ is closed to new replies.