• This topic has 108 replies, 62 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Aldi – dispatches.
  • natrix
    Free Member

Tesco have two wheat biscuits in the bowl, whereas Aldi have three Wheat Bisks stacked up (three whole Wheat Bisks!!!)… :mrgreen:

teasel
    Free Member

I’m not sure looking at one supermarket chain gives a balanced view!

Yeah. I wonder why there wasn’t some sort of comparison to the others, as you write, just for balance. It also made me wonder at the motives/incentives behind the program and who knows who etc.

Channel 4 Dispatches – sticking their nose in other folks business since forever…

loum
    Free Member

Fresh curry leaf.
    Tesco and asda also do not sell this. I find all of the supermarkets crap for particulars. Fresh Jalapenos? non. Chipotle paste? non (both of which sainsburys claim to sell but are never in our HUGE Supermarket)

The bigger supermarkets seem to stock some of their shelves more according to the local demand.
    “South London” Asda had a whole aisle like an asian supermarket – always had curry leaf. And about 10 types of chillis, but can’t be certain fresh Jalapenos.
    “Surrey” Sainsburys thought it was a **** Waitrose. All the ingredients jars- chipotle, harrisa, Ras el Hanout etc.
    But don’t see them in the local one now that’s about 4 times the size.
    Suffolk Asda was full of local cider, sausages and free range pork.

Aldi just sell what they sell, doesn’t really as much matter what the customer wants.

MussEd
    Free Member

Yeah. I wonder why there wasn’t some sort of comparison to the others, as you write, just for balance. It also made me wonder at the motives/incentives behind the program and who knows who etc.

Big four secretly commissioning a stitch up to try and arrest the loss of market share to Aldi? My tin foil hat is shiny today…

Btw that Scottish store is my local Aldi – the staff are always excellent. The manager js a loudmouth bawbag but in my experience (part-time work in the past) I think thats fairly standard for supermarket managers!

teasel
    Free Member

Big four secretly commissioning a stitch up to try and arrest the loss of market share to Aldi? My tin foil hat is shiny today…

Heh. I added a bit about removing my tinfoil hat but decided to omit it from my final post as it read like I was accusing Hugo of wearing one.

But yeah, it’s probably not true…

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh and something else i noticed while out at lunch doingmy weekly shop.

no zero hour contracts on offer at my local aldi.

minimum of 25hours.

tesco or asda are ?

dmorts

Hmm, this documentary really was quite poor.

I’d thought it might be an investigation into the supply chain and the supplier/grower/farmer exploitation that might occur due to the food being so cheap…. However as that was not shown, is it really that Aldi only minimises overhead costs to sell the food so cheap?

dmorts

This programme messed up and got you all confused Aldi are not selling out of date food. The L code is not the best before or use by date but in fact the date it was packed L32 06 for instance means it was packed in the 32nd financial week of the year on Saturday.

This is exactly what I thought the code was, a packing date, hence in being in ‘code’

franksinatra

generally I do not have a problem with people copying brands but even I am appalled at someone trying to copy Monster Munch.

Back off and have some respect. You can’t mess about with Monster Munch.

Is nothing sacred anymore?

dmorts

Enjoyed 2 bottles of £3 wine last week also.

I’m intrigued by this (regardless of where they were bought) were they actually enjoyable?! 😀

The thing is, the duty (in addition to VAT) on a bottle of wine is fixed at £2.05. So £3 less VAT is £2.50, then less the duty leaves 45p per bottle.

Out of that 45p you’ve got to grow the grapes, pick the grapes, process the grapes into wine, store the wine, transport the wine and then bottle the wine. Plus there will be producer/supplier mark ups all within that 45p

If you paid £4 a bottle you’d have £1.28 going into the production of the wine

Ro5ey
    Free Member

leaves 45p per bottle.

Not if its a loss leader…. it might cost them your 4 quid or more !?!

But they knock it out cheap to get you in the door so you’ll buy something else

atlaz
    Free Member

Out of that 45p you’ve got to grow the grapes, pick the grapes, process the grapes into wine, store the wine, transport the wine and then bottle the wine. Plus there will be producer/supplier mark ups all within that 45p

That obviously doesn’t work if Jean Pierre is picking them with his wife and crushing them manually but there’s some crazy economies of scale these days. Some “vineyards” make upwards of 10 MILLION bottles a year.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Out of that 45p you’ve got to grow the grapes, pick the grapes, process the grapes into wine, store the wine, transport the wine and then bottle the wine.

….and write the theme tune, sing the theme tune….. 😆

dmorts

Not if its a loss leader….

Are you allowed to sell alcohol as a loss leader? I thought it has been outlawed?

That obviously doesn’t work if Jean Pierre is picking them with his wife and crushing them manually but there’s some crazy economies of scale these days.

Actually having looked at the Aldi website, these £3 wines appear to be blends of multiple grape varieties. Therefore I suspect they will be made up of whatever remnants of fermented grape juice they can get their hands on

project
    Free Member

I did think the one who thought it was a good idea to kneel on a glass freezer top was a prize one

Looked remarkably like Birkenhead Laird street shop.

of the 4 aldis i shop sometimes at depending where im working near, 1 has a great freindly staff, one has staff so miserable like the whole family has died, one reasonbly freindly and one like the local tip.

all dependant on management

hugo
    Free Member

Big four secretly commissioning a stitch up to try and arrest the loss of market share to Aldi? My tin foil hat is shiny today..

Heh. I added a bit about removing my tinfoil hat but decided to omit it from my final post as it read like I was accusing Hugo of wearing one.

The way my post read, it would have been a fair accusation!

I don’t think there’s any conspiracy, but I do think the level of journalism is a bit lazy. Surely when you find a business in a sector behaving badly, you see whether it’s an industry wide problem? That’s kind of the point of investigative journalism.

Also, I do feel that because of Aldi’s (and Lidl’s for that matter) business model – ie far fewer product lines – that they would suffer less from wasted food than the traditional supermarkets?

scotroutes

Aldi tin foil?

Kryton57

Can you make a hat out of that? ^^

Drac

As long as you don’t copy someone else’s design as Just5minutes won’t speak to you if you do.

hugo
    Free Member

Ooops.

Drac

Look some foil.

DrJ

Last time I read a thread like this I determined to give it a go and went to my local Aldi and picked up some stuff to try. I went to pay and the queue snaked all around the shop. I put back my stuff and went to Sainsbury’s.

jimjam
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

Interestingly, that thread about “working at Chain Reaction” has been deleted. Not just closed to replies, but deleted.

Bit full-on to delete the entire thread given a lot of it was quite sceptical about the truth contained within it and the rest just weren’t surprised that a cheap warehouse online retailer wasn’t that focused on staff.
    [/quote]
    I was working in CRC when that email went out, it’s 100% genuine. My manager ran around the floor literally shoving people off computers, then screaming at them to log in, and shoving them off again so he could delete it. By that point everyone had clicked ctrl+p or forward and mark as unread 😆

If I recall correctly I think he thought pulling the plugs on the servers it would make it go away but the i.t department convinced him this wouldn’t work. It was heavily edited from what I remember.

jekkyl

Aldi sell proper Stella at less than 4 quid for 4 440ml cans, so they’re okay by me.
    Also, just back in is their Christmas Stollen, by golly gosh it’s tasty, you could easily slice off big bits and sell it in costa for 3 quid, it’s lovely. Mix it with a bit of ice cream… nice!
    Also Aldi’s nuts are considerably cheaper than any other supermarket, £1.20 for a bag of pistachios, winner.

Marin
    Free Member

Pretty poor programming. One of the stores as in not the Scottish one was Smithdown Road in Liverpool I’m pretty sure. Never had a problem with it and shopped there a lot. Some stuff is O.K. some isn’t like every supermarket. Pick what you like and avoid the rest. Having an ex employee moaning he was tired after a day at work is piss poor really. You’ve been at work sit down have a brew and MTFU.

isitafox
    Free Member

There’s 4 Aldi stores near me one opening last year. The newest one is great, clean, friendly staff, stock isn’t 100% perfect but working in a Morrisons years ago I can safely say it’s not alone there. As for the 15 minute thing I’d hardly go mad about that, I know loads of places where you’re expected to get there early so you’re ready to clock in on time. Common sense really.

jimjam
    Free Member

isitafox
    As for the 15 minute thing I’d hardly go mad about that, I know loads of places where you’re expected to get there early so you’re ready to clock in on time. Common sense really.

You might if you were on retail wages and that was your reality though. If you’re respected in your job, well rewarded for your efforts and have flexibility in your working hours 15 minutes isn’t a lot, however the prevailing culture in retail is to treat staff like cattle and extract every spare minute you can from them.

Once it’s established you have to be at work 15 minutes early that’s 15 minutes you’ll be working for free, whether it’s cleaning or a “team talk”. Do you think the average retail slave will be afforded the flexibility of clocking off 15 minutes early? Or paid for those 60hrs? Will they ****.

MoreCashThanDash

I seem to recall that the 15 minute thing had changed in April according to the programme? Not excusing the original issue with it btw.

But when I worked set hours, I was expected to be set up and ready to go at x o’clock, so I got to in and organised first.

Marin
    Free Member

In a previous life about 15 years ago I worked for NatWest Bank. Although I started getting paid at 9 they were all ” oh you need to be logged onto all your systems by 9. This took about 10 minutes of unpaid time. I argued the toss for 9 months whilst starting at 9 every day then left. Give them an inch take a mile etc….

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Aldi – dispatches.’ is closed to new replies.