• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by aw.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alan Topcross, what to do?
  • aw
    Free Member

I have an old alu framed cyclocross Alan top cross. It has been converted to single speed with a chain tensioner.

I really enjoy the zingy lively ride however I have struggled with the single speed set up and now thinking of selling.

The chain was slipping so I tried to shorten the chain without the tensioner without success. I now cannot seem to get the right length for the tensioner or without.

I thought I could flog it for silly money on eBay with local pick up but now realise Alan is quite a famous frame manufacturer and seems a waste to do so.

Therefore I need to sort the chain tension with a new tensioner possibly or new gearing if worth doing so?

aw
    Free Member

tonyg2003

If you aren’t riding it then sell it.

I had an Alan 9 tube carbon frame years ago. It was super flexy and suffered from terrible speed wobbles. It was one of the few bikes I’ve had that I really disliked. Having said that they do have quite a cyclo cross following. Not sure how much you’d get for it though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Doubt it’s worth much, as above, early aluminium and a crap ride, not even rare.

aw
    Free Member

Well it’s an excellent ride 🙂

Mine does not wobble at high or low speeds

tonyg2003

Hi AW I wasn’t implying yours was flexy, just that mine was 🙂 The cross ones are better in that respect to road ones, especially the early all alloy road forks. You could see them moving backwards and forwards as you braked.

However they certainly aren’t that rare or that desirable as other Italian brands like a De Rosa etc…

aw
    Free Member

Thx tongy…no worried

Suggestions on chain tensioner?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Best tensioner is a rear mech

aw
    Free Member

Helpful cynical 🙁

aw
    Free Member

Any recommendations for chain tensioner?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alan Topcross, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.