Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 322 total)
  • AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Dated how? It was a genuine question as to whether there was some sort of cultural / religious significance to keeping pigeons that I was missing, as it’s not something I’ve come across before. I’m not sure how I could’ve worded any more PC.

Well, what do you mean by’Asian Community’?

This thread reminds me of the boxing matches where the commentator is struggling to identify the boxers for the viewing public: “I’m afraid their shorts are the same colour”. One fighter is black, one is white, but they can’t say that.

Saying black or white is fine, suggesting that one or the other is more likely to box because of their race is not

Kahurangi

Good grief.

QFT.

I’m surprised that nobody has suggested that this thread carry a trigger warning because some people seem to be getting so bogged down by the fact you asked for an opinion because you couldn’t understand the purpose of this shanty.

Anyway, it’s taking the piss. I’m not surprised that neither building regs nor planning permission want to fob this off to each other. Neither probably have enough manpower left!

or is manpower a now outdated and sexist word… 😉

Cougar

Well, what do you mean by’Asian Community’?

What term would you rather I used? Let me know and I’ll cheerfully use it instead, with joy in my heart and a spring in my step.

theocb
    Free Member

Neighbours is fine by me :0)

DezB
    Free Member

Saying black or white is fine, suggesting that one or the other is more likely to box because of their race is not

Brilliant! One day I’ll find out if I’m racist or not. Once I’ve worked out all the rules.

tinybits
    Free Member

Surely it is OK to mention that, oh, I don’t know, more glider pilots are likely to be white. They are, not exclusively, but the majority are as there is a greater uptake in the predominantly white populations of predominantly white nations.
    How would that be raciest? Surely it’s a comment on the facts.
    If I said ‘White people make better glider pilots because of how their brain works’ I could see a point, but even then only partially. After all, Africans (of certain areas) seem to make very good long distance runners. Is that raciest?

Cougar

It’s race-ist.

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB

Brilliant! One day I’ll find out if I’m racist or not. Once I’ve worked out all the rules.

Check your privilege asap.

GrahamS

Right… so I’ve been snowboarding for a good 20+ years and in that time I’ve probably only ever seen like three black guys snowboarding.

But if I mention that then I’d be racist? Rather than just observing something?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE1z2cQnLzA[/video]

teasel
    Free Member

raciest

…?

DezB
    Free Member

So… shonky structures on garages… 😆

IHN

I’m the least judgemental person you’ll ever meet. I’ve friends who are variously white, Asian, Afro-Caribbean, gay, lesbian, bi, confused, trans, and one who thinks he’s a wolf and has the outfit and everything.

“Some of my best friends are darkies and pooftahs” 😉

*For the benefit of the hard of thinking, that was an ironic joke

Cougar

And yeah, that was the point.

It’s kind of a lazy stereotype sure, but if an old retired Yorkshire farmer had erected a pigeon coop in his allotment, it wouldn’t particularly be out of the ordinary. For a family who I’ve only ever seen in traditional Muslim dress, are you telling me that’s not a little unusual?

Hence the question, is this merely unusual or is there some significance that I’m missing? Will his mates at the local Mosque also be going “mate, WTF is that?” or is it commonplace in other areas and I’ve just never tripped over it before? I mean, livestock I could understand, if they’d put chickens in there or something. But pigeons?

Maybe I should ask if they’ve got snowboards.

Cougar

That photo is racist, his shirt says “blackberry” on it and is therefore offensive to berries of other colours.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m the least judgemental person you’ll ever meet. I’ve friends who are variously white, Asian, Afro-Caribbean, gay, lesbian

I only know my friends by the colour of their shorts.

jimjam
    Free Member

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Good grief.

That photo is racist, his shirt says “blackberry” on it and is therefore offensive to berries of other colours.

I think you are being racist by assuming that the colour of the berry has anything to do with its essential berriness.

perchypanther
    Free Member

That photo is racist,

Yep, appropriating the cultural symbols of Mother Russia for his own commercial ends.

Shame on you Lewis!

cinnamon_girl

Cougar – can the garage actually house a car cos I can’t even see an opening? Are you able to speculate on what the garage is being used for? Any signs of piping, wiring etc ?

hammyuk
    Free Member

IHN – Member

“Some of my best friends are darkies and pooftahs”

One of the others was ill but he’s all right Nowoooooooooooohhhoowwwwoooowwww

bigyinn
    Free Member

*facepalm*
    Why is it threads on here which make reference to someone’s ethnic type by way of setting the scene always degrade into finger pointing and perceived racial slurrs?
    Its very easy to spot racists, their posts always begin “im not a racist, but…”.

Get back to the question of planning blight FFS!

munrobiker
    Free Member

If I tried to do anything for more than five minutes on my garage roof I’d probably just fall through, let alone live on top of it.

Planning is probably the most effective department to speak to about this rather than building regs.

theocb
    Free Member

I think it’s a fairly sensible discussion that might help Cougar move with the times. People from all around the world like all kinds a shizzle.

Agreed, lazy stereotyping. a very quick google came up with this, so now you can see that brown people like pigeons too :0) http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/world/asia/china-xinjiang-uighur-pigeons.html?_r=0

GrahamS

Cougar – can the garage actually house a car cos I can’t even see an opening?

If it is anything like my terraced street (and it looks pretty similar from the photos) the outbuildings are probably the old outside bog (netty) and the coal shed.

Cougar

Cougar – can the garage actually house a car cos I can’t even see an opening? Are you able to speculate on what the garage is being used for? Any signs of piping, wiring etc ?

That’s a good point. I can’t really see much beyond what you can in the photo, but next door had a similar “conversion” a few years ago. The old probably-asbestos garage was demolished and a new breeze-block affair build in its place. There’s a back door and a side door, and I think there’s two rooms inside. I found out the purpose of one of these rooms only relatively recently.

I found a kid’s coat in my back yard, I figured it might’ve blown off the neighbour’s washing line. Spotted the block next door sitting in the garage so shouted over the garden wall, “is this yours?” “No” he replied, so I hung it on the back wall in case its owner happened by again. A little while later I thought, hang on a minute, and went back out for a closer look; sure enough, through the open door I can see a toilet. I’d just had a chat to the neighbour whilst he was having a poo. 😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

The very fact it’s a flimsy flamible structure 12ft in the air and is not a fence – despite being made of fence

Just send those photos to planning. It’ll have a remove notice quickly

Cougar

lazy stereotyping. a very quick google came up with this, so now you can see that brown people like pigeons too

No brown people in that article and my neighbours aren’t Chinese. Big place, Asia.

theocb
    Free Member

You’re learning

Cougar

You’re patronising.

perchypanther
    Free Member

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war with neighbours,” but only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go in against an IT geek when planning permission is on the line!”

Paraphrasing a bit…. 😀

see also.

Hello, my name is Cougar. You ruined my view. Prepare to be grassed to the planning authorities

GrahamS

😆

DezB
    Free Member

He’s not racist, he’s just outdated 😀

theocb
    Free Member

Sorry.. thought we were having a light-hearted chit chat. You did kinda deliberately miss the other points of the article so I think a little harsh to get feisty.

I don’t think you should be surprised that people like all kinds of stuff.
    As you were.

donald
    Free Member

What a fowl thing to doo, they’re avian a laugh.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cripes, who is “theocb”?

I betcha he’s the bloke whose building the muckybubblesexshed on the aforementioned garage roof.

And, well after, that date in June, it’s ok to be racist. 51% voted for it.

HTHs

Cougar

Paraphrasing a bit…

Inconceivable!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Inconceivable!

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

A little while later I thought, hang on a minute, and went back out for a closer look; sure enough, through the open door I can see a toilet. I’d just had a chat to the neighbour whilst he was having a poo.

can you tell me the skin colour so i can form an appropriate view

Its pretty clear you were asking if asians typically keep pigeons.

Cougar

Sorry.. thought we were having a light-hearted chit chat.

I mistook your tone, apologies.

You did kinda deliberately miss the other points of the article

I didn’t read it as it didn’t appear relevant.

I don’t think you should be surprised that people like all kinds of stuff.

I’m well aware that “people like all kinds of stuff,” but as far as I’m aware it’s unusual (again, hence the question). How many people of Middle Eastern descent do you know with a pigeon collection?

It was a simple, innocent question. The neighbours have built something I’ve never seen anywhere else in town. Ergo, it is unusual, by definition. Is there some sort of significance to pigeons that I’m not aware of (eg, are they considered sacred or something, are they likely to being bred for food, is there a long proud history of the Annual Great Pakistani Racing Pigeons competition) or do I simply happen to have a neighbour with a pigeon fetish? That’s it, it wasn’t a loaded question. Christ, I wish I’d never asked.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 322 total)

The topic ‘AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.’ is closed to new replies.