Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 322 total)
  • AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

Christ, I wish I’d never asked.

Other deities are available.

theocb
    Free Member

I did add smileys and everyfink. :0) but tone noted, I certainly wasn’t attempting to be offensive or having a go as I said in my first post (perhaps a bit cheeky :0)

Isn’t that the problem of lazy stereotyping though, I don’t personally know anyone who keeps pigeons but why would I assume that any of my friends might enjoy it more or less because of their ethnicity or religion. You seem to be highlighting their country or continent as if it is relevant to whether your neighbour likes pigeons.

Crazy world out there. Looksy here, another very quick google http://www.npr.org/2014/10/14/356177229/in-pakistan-pigeon-racing-is-more-than-a-hobby

Cougar

Crazy world out there. Looksy here, another very quick google

So there you go then. The answer to my (badly worded) original question is “actually, pigeon racing is very popular in Pakistan.” If someone had said that in the first place we could’ve saved three pages of handwringing.

senorj

Thanks for the pics.
    Looks like a dwelling to me. Wind will have it.
    Or….
    Glamping site?
    &Have you checked you street on air b&b?

tjagain

I don’t think there a tinge of racism intended or otherwise in the posts.

The only thing that would have made it 100% pc is to say “of asian descent” rather than “asian”

theotherjonv

I’d just had a chat to the neighbour whilst he was having a poo.

Not necessarily. Some cultures sit down to do wees. I don’t know if darkies sorry, people of asian descent do, but assuming he was pooing because he was sat down is dangerous stereotyping.

Unless of course you also saw him straining at the same time?

teasel
    Free Member

Raciest pigeon…?

But seriously, if it does go ahead as a starting grid you could always take up falconry. And name him Xerxes…

teasel
    Free Member

Unless of course you also saw him straining at the same time?

One still couldn’t be certain that the subject wasn’t trying to pass a stone…

theotherjonv

I’ve just thought. Maybe he has issues with IBS that culturally he finds it awkward to let on to. So, he’s constructed an outside netty, only to find that every time he goes down there to enjoy some privacy, his busybody neighbour strikes up conversation. Hence he’s now been forced to construct an elaborate pigeon loft ruse, so as he makes a sound like a flock of starlings taking off, he can cover it up with the sound of a flock of pigeons taking off. Soon you’ll come to associate the sound with him starting another race, when really he’ll finally be unloading in privacy and comfort.

Are you really going to deny him that by grassing him up to the planning office?

Cougar

every time he goes down there to enjoy some privacy, his busybody neighbour strikes up conversation.

There’s a fantastic invention which fixes that, it’s called a “door.”

Hence he’s now been forced to construct an elaborate pigeon loft ruse

Different neighbour. But funny. (-:

theotherjonv

Different neighbour.

It is an elaborate ruse. How does pigeon neighbour know when to let the birds go to cover the sound of IBS neighbour’s defecatory disorders? Now I see that’s what CG was suggesting when she asked if there were pipes or wires; a closed circuit phone system, or maybe it’s just a simple ‘tap on the pipe with a tin mug as the enemy reaches the gates’

These people of asian origin really are close knit communities aren’t they!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So there you go then. The answer to my (badly worded) original question is “actually, pigeon racing is very popular in Pakistan.” If someone had said that in the first place we could’ve saved three pages of handwringing.

No, it wouldn’t but it would have dealt with the question.

But gosh! yes how surprising! Pakistanis like pigeons! Who would have thunk it!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Surely it is OK to mention that, oh, I don’t know, more glider pilots are likely to be white. They are, not exclusively, but the majority are as there is a greater uptake in the predominantly white populations of predominantly white nations.

Sure, that would be true. I just can’t really think of a context where it would warrant comment.

How would that be raciest? Surely it’s a comment on the facts.
    If I said ‘White people make better glider pilots because of how their brain works’ I could see a point, but even then only partially.

only partially? You’re not really saying that black people and white people’s brains are different are you?

After all, Africans (of certain areas) seem to make very good long distance runners. Is that raciest

and Africans (of certain areas) seem to be rubbish at Long distance running and Africans (of certain areas) seem to be ok at long distance running. You know maybe being African might have nothing to do with it!

Cougar

But gosh! yes how surprising! Pakistanis like pigeons! Who would have thunk it!

You’re just trying to wind me up now aren’t you.

For all I knew, there might not have even been pigeons in the Middle East. How do you find things out other than by asking questions and discussing stuff? Might as well shut the forum and replace it with a redirect to google.

Honestly, you get berated on STW for being insular when you’re ignorant of another demographic (and I’m not just talking about race here) and then when you try to find out something about it you get berated for that an’ all. Can’t bloody win.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

For all I knew, there might not have even been pigeons in the Middle East

And there are no stray dogs in Vietnam.

Makes you think.

gonzy
    Free Member

looks like an aviary of some sort.
    pigeon racing is popular in asia and so is owning birds of prey…especially in the middle east
    one of my friends also races pigeons…another friends dad used to race greyhounds…another 2 friends love fishing
    if you’re on talking terms with them then the easy option would be to simply ask

not all asians fit the stereotype…some even ride mountain bikes(!) 😯

jimdubleyou

How many people of Middle Eastern descent do you know with a pigeon collection?

Maybe the pigeons are to be kept as food for their pet falcon.

Cougar

looks like an aviary of some sort.

It is, it has pigeons in it.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I saw a video of birds using tools to get food.

Maybe this is the next step… perhaps the pigeons got some proper tools and materials?

They probably went to B & Coop

martinhutch

I can’t believe we’ve had four pages from someone asking advice on how to stop the pigeon and no-one has posted a Muttley gif yet.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cougar earlier…
    [video]https://youtu.be/qmiVB4BhLa0[/video]

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Honestly, you get berated on STW for being insular when you’re ignorant of another demographic (and I’m not just talking about race here) and then when you try to find out something about it you get berated for that an’ all. Can’t bloody win.

Must be terrible. Is it a bit like being berated for ‘not fitting in’ and ‘living like us’ and then being an object of discussion when you do?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

If you want to ‘find out’ then you need to pay attention to what people say and maybe think about it.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Anyway, have you done anything about getting the inconsiderate gits to remove their pigeon cage yet?

Cougar

CM, I’ve a lot of respect for you, but in this case I’m afraid you’re looking for a fight where none exists.

MW, I emailed the council to ask what they thought. It’s been passed to the “relevant department” apparently.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Respek, bruvnut

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I respect you too, Cougar. In these situations you usually demonstrate good judgement. However, for some reason, you seem to have blind spot here.

As I asked before, what do you mean when you talk of the ‘asian community’

jamj1974

Charlie, speaking as someone who is 50% Asian let it go will you? No offence was meant and actually more a question of slightly clumsy communication.

Rockape63
    Free Member

….and one who thinks he’s a wolf and has the outfit and everything.

Good grief.

Am I the only one who read this and thought WTF? 😮

aracer
    Free Member

The obvious counter question is, if he is using the term incorrectly and offensively (I’ve absolutely no idea if that is the case), how should he go about finding out that is the case it it’s something he is ignorant of?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Charlie, speaking as someone who is 50% Asian let it go will you? No offence was meant and actually more a question of slightly clumsy communication

Which I am sure he would like to avoid in the future. Of course I recognise no offence is meant and I’d be surprised if you and your community felt it was offensive.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I assume as this thread progresses its just you he would rather avoid in the future 😉

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I assume as this thread progresses its just you he would rather avoid in the future

There’s the thing, he cannot. I am his conscience.

GrahamS

Charlie, are you saying the term “Asian Community” is offensive?
    It seems to be a term that is pretty widely used.

Or was it something about the way he used it?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What is the ‘Asian Community’, Graham?

sausagefingers
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

You’re patronising.

Such few words, so much irony

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is it a bit like the farming community or the village community or the ardnamuchen community or the highlands and islands community ?

Are any of those offensive to you ?

GrahamS

What is the ‘Asian Community’, Graham?

I dunno, I just take it as a collective term for people from the Asian continent, in much the same way as we have a “European Community” or an “African Community”.

Never thought of it as offensive, pretty broad maybe, but not offensive, which is why I’m asking you for clarification.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Maybe answer the question before you ask another, I should of course point out that I didn’t say I found the term offensive, so from your list, no

trail_rat
    Free Member

community
    k??mju?n?ti/Submit
    noun
    a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
    “Montreal’s Italian community”
    synonyms: group, section, body, company, set, circle, clique, coterie, ring, band, faction; More
    the condition of sharing or having certain attitudes and interests in common.
    “the sense of community that organized religion can provide”

The dictionaries answer.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 322 total)

The topic ‘AIBU – neighbour issues take 37.’ is closed to new replies.