Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Afan Skyline
  • lexiekay
    Free Member

I’m thinking of riding there this week at some point, have only ever ridden the other trails at Afan (done the Wall, Penhydd and Whites quite a few times). Apart from the obvious difference in length, is the Skyline trail technically any harder?

clubber
    Free Member

Well for a start, Skyline covers part of Whites. It’s certainly no harder technically and IMO has too much dull fireroad type stuff for the extra decent singletrack you get in return.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/ourwoods.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/WalesNeathPortTalbotAfanForestParkAfanForestParkGlyncorrwgMountainBikeCentreSkyline

krag
    Free Member

Not technically harder, the same if not easier techn wise than whites, it’s just long. There’s a lot of fireroad involved and there are some closures/diversions at the moment too.

If we’re after an extension at Afan we usually do whites or W2 and then do whites climb again with the skyline descent, it’s a cracking.

Diawl
    Free Member

IMO you’d be better off doing the July trail which takes in the best bits of Skyline without the extensive use of fire roads.

lexiekay
    Free Member

I guess I could do W2 instead, just wondered whether it’d be worth trying something different. Looking at the trail map I was thinking about using the second short cut, which as far as I can see cuts out loads of fire road and one bit of singeltrack.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Is the July trail signposted?

clubber
    Free Member

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/centres/afan_forest_park/skyline/skyline.aspx

IIRC you can just follow the signs to do July and they’re all numbered at the direction posts corresponding to the numbers on the map:
    http://www.mbwales.com/media/viewfile.aspx?filepath=1_20101029164046_e_@@_AfanMBGSkylinev4.pdf&filetype=4

Onzadog
    Free Member

Where are you setting off from? It might be worth going deeper in country and having a look at Brechfa. Skyline is worth “tick off” for the sake of completeness but it’s not the best ride.

lexiekay
    Free Member

I’ve ridden Brechfa and its definitely one of my favourite trail centres. But I’m driving from Swindon and have to get back to Southampton within the day so I think it might be a bit too far…

glenp
    Free Member

On a clear day Skyline is a nice ride. It isn’t what it doesn’t claim to be though, so expect a lot of riding along and not so much singletrack (some of that is closed at the mo too). Might be a bit dull without someone to talk to.

lexiekay
    Free Member

Actually that was something I was wondering about – whether its just so long that it becomes a bit boring on your own? Thanks for the info on the closures though, I’ll bear that in mind

Ambrose

There are two ‘official’ variations/ shortcuts. The first is called July, the second is called August. Both are shown on the trail maps that are available but I can’t remember if they are named as such. IMHO July is a great ride, August is longer and still good but Skyline is a bit of a boring slog in places, although you do get to cover a lot of ground. I think that all will be affected by closed sections early on, best to check the FC site.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I love riding the Skyline in my own, it’s my favourite trail but is not straight up and straight down like the other trails at Afan but technically it’s certainly no harder.

chakaping
    Free Member

I usually do the W2 when I’m at Afan/GC, and it’s probably my fave trail centre route, but it can take a rather long time if you stop for lunch/have a mechanical/are out of shape.

We did all three of those things last time and took more than six hours. Turned into a bit of an epic for my mate who’s getting back into MTB – but he loved it anyway.

Just something to bear in mind if on a deadline.

br
    Free Member

If starting in Swindon and finishing in Southampton why not look inbetween?

We did a great ride a couple of months ago, a loop started/ended near Highclere Castle just off the A34.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?mm_src=home&FORM=MMREDIR

I just ‘connected’ up the bridleways so we could take in the Botley Down to Stubington Down ridge-ride.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

July is good, but I think the extra singletrack on August is worth the effort. I’ve done the full trail and got a little fed-up slogging out and back on the gravel roads. But I was on a slightly inappropriate bike.

The final descents are worthwhile – distinctively steppy.

krag
    Free Member

You can do the final descents (dead wood and jetlag) by doing the whites climb up to the fireroad at the start of the black route. Instead of turning left, turn right, up the fireroad until you come to a juction with another fireroad heading down a hill. Take that and after a few minutes you’ll see the beginning of deadwood on your right. It’s pretty much all downhill from there back to the centre.

superfli
    Free Member

Try W2, but when coming back to do the energy section+Goodwood of Whites, continue past and climb the fireroad to top of whites, then do as krag says and finish the skyline decent 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Afan Skyline’ is closed to new replies.