• This topic has 33 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by AJ.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Afan ridged.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Going up there the weekend and I am sticking with the solid forks. Anyone else done it.?

billybob
    Free Member

you need @ least 6" on both ends to have fun there… 😉

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

you need @ least 6" on both ends to have fun there…

Like the local canal toe paths as well then. 😕

simon1975

I have more fun there (and at most trail centres) with the bouncy fork in. Go for it, but I'd take a sus fork in the boot just in case!

sockpuppet

is this a bad spelling competion?

singlespeedstu

It's fine.

sofatester
    Free Member

YOU WILL DIE!

loddrik
    Free Member

Afan isn't one of the more rocky welsh centres like say, cyb, so you shouldn't have any problems. Funnily enough I am trying fully rigid for the fist time at a trail centre at Llandegla on thurs. I wouldn't fancy somewhere like the peaks fully rigid though!!

grahamh
    Free Member

First time I rode at Afan, was on a fully ridged.
    Just as much fun as on a full sus or hardtail.

Edric64
    Free Member

Like the local canal toe paths as well then.

Are they like cameltoe paths?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

There's some rock gardens and stuff but a lot of it is quite smooth. Mate rides van-nick zion with carbon forks and really likes whytes. He finds the steppy end part of Skyline a bit taxing but takes it slowly and copes fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The ridges may need a fork, but you should be OK rigid..

Evilsea

You'll be OK but you will be the one at the back……watch your speed!

Evilsea

Cameltoe? isnt that the Camelback for women?

sofaking
    Free Member

rigid is fine. but you will need lots of gears

singlespeedstu

😉 's at sofaking.

cheers_drive

I rode W2 and the shortcut of Skyline before July the other week with a friend who was riding rigid SS. He is a far better rider than me (or most on here I'd care to wager) but he was with me all the way on the downs and way ahead on the ups. He only struggled on the final steppy Skyline descent.
    As ever I'm sure most trials are double rigid but whether it is the 'funnest' way to ride them is another matter.

mboy
    Free Member

You'll be OK but you will be the one at the back……watch your speed!

LOL

Very much depends on the rider I think!

My last ride at Afan was with the a mate on his Rigid Singlespeed (he also incidentally came 4th overall at the recent Dyfi Enduro, winning the Singlespeed category). To say he trounced me is an understatement. I think he could probably have done nearly 2 laps of Whites Level to my one lap if I'm being totally honest. But then that's the difference between a proper quick rider, and Mr. Average!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have done it loads of times on a HT with a big old suspension fork up front and on a full suss but I thought it might be a laugh going fully "rigid".

Either way it's all good.

lovell
    Free Member

I rode it on a rigid singlespeed Orange once, I have never had a worse time on a bike! Take some gears and suspension.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I did Skyline on a rigid SS. Not out of choice, some barsteward bought both of my Fox forks the night before – I'd only wanted to sell one :?. It was fine, just the last steppy section as others have said – it was like riding a pnuematic drill!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I rode Afan just after xmas with a SS. TBH I was crapping myself about the whites climb, but I ended up leading a fair part of it.

I did have squishy forks though. 😳

thekingofsweden

From what I have seen lately suspension is not needed for pushing bikes up and even down at trail centres lately.

Have done all the trails rigid it's fine don't know where all the big rocks are tho ?

rickon
    Free Member

+1 sockpuppet

is this a bad spelling competion?

FAIL

rickon
    Free Member

….. Or is it a WIN?

gus
    Free Member

The trails at afan have evolved with bikes, so for me the orignal trail the Penhydd (closed at the momment) is loads of fun and easy to ride fast on a rigid, but I find the whites and skyline more fun on a susser.

mingsta
    Free Member

I'm trying it with square wheels.

Hynam
    Free Member

Yeah Penydd will be good fun, but the wall and whites level you might find a bit rough, i've done both on rigid – the graveyard section on the wall handed my ass to me on a plate

mk1fan
    Free Member

Penhydds closed now isn't it?

Rigid will be fine. I contemplated getting some Exotic carbon forks to fit on the Handjob for our comemorative Penhydd weekend a month back. I didn't get any because I ran out of time. Wish I had now.

DT78
    Free Member

Penydd is closed

The only time I've ever made it through the graveyard was on a rigid single speed. I just cannot do it on the full sus. My excuse is the bars are wider.

You'll be absolutely fine on white/wall (w2) I was there this weekend and it's so much smoother than I remember from last year. Trails are wider too.

Some of the singletrack on skyline though is pretty rough and I would think you'll have very sore wrists after doing it on a rigid.

trailmonkey

don't forget your hair shirt 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Why is the penhydd closed?

My favorite trail at Afan.

DT78
    Free Member

Logging I think.

A section of skyline was closed as well. Some little shit had broken the 'diversion' part of the sign off as well.

AJ
    Free Member

You defo don't need expension for any type of ridin but you do need to be radcore

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Afan ridged.?’ is closed to new replies.