Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Afan or Cwmcarn
  • boxxer7
    Free Member

Guys got 3 days off this weekend and keep contemplating going to Afan or Cwmcarn tomorrow.

Only thing is I will be riding solo, I regularly ride alone and I’m an experienced rider, how busy are they likely to be? just incase the worst should happen would be nice if someone found me :D, I will do all the normal precautions phone charged some warm clothing etc.

Ive not ridden either before so just thought I would ask want to get as much riding in as possible.

flap_jack
    Free Member

We usually do Cwmcarn on the way to Afan.

If I had a choice of 1 for a day I’d go to Afan as there’s only one loop at Cwncarn.

This assuming you pedal…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

3 days? Do both.

[/Thread]

boxxer7
    Free Member

I do pedal! Much prefer the gravity pulling me downwards though, planning FOD for Sunday!

mdb
    Free Member

Forest of Dean

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Afan, more choice.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Go and do Skyline at Afan for good day out.

boxxer7
    Free Member

46k should keep me busy for the day! What’s the descent like? Looking at the climb it seems like it will be a good long way back down.

wavejumper
    Free Member

The skyline is boring as hell but long. The majority of it is on fire road including some decents which is really annoying!
    The last decent of the skyline is good and I would do the route if you really want to get some miles in but exciting it is not. On a good day you get great views though!
    If I was you I would do Cwmcarn on the 1st day, W2 at Afan on day 2 and FOD on the way back. All boxes ticked.

creamegg
    Free Member

I dont know where your travelling from but i’d do FoD, Cwmcarn then Afan.

Cwmcarn and FoD will be very busy on weekends unless you get out early as its only 1 loop wheras at afan you’d be less likely to see as much people out on the trails

wavejumper
    Free Member

You could always pop over to the raven if you have a spare day. There’s planty more riding over there.

DT78
    Free Member

If you are coming along the m4 stop off at cwmcarn do a loop (or 2 depending on how fit you are, about an hour a lap). Then drive to afan and do whites, should be sub 2 hrs. Second day do one of the bigger tracks like w2 or skyline, they don’t take that long approx 3-4 hours, so you will have time to do another track, don’t know if pen is open, if it is its my favourite. Then day 3 either colapse or head to brechfa. If you head to Fod the way marked trails are good fun but very short. I thought I,d missed a big section out….if you want to get the best out of Fod you will need a guide or gpx.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I think you would need to be fairly fit to do Cwm Carn in an hour, especially if that is the first of a long weekend of riding. From the MTB Wales web site:

Twrch
    Trail name: Twrch
    Centre:Cwm Carn
    Distance:18km
    Climbing:300m
    Time:1.5 – 2.5 hrs

Special_ized_Jamie

Why not do the W2 at Afan? Has the length to fill most of a day riding and there are some great sections. I did the Skiyline a couple of years ago and hated it due to the amount on time spent on fire roads.

Cwmcarn is ok but as others have mentioned there is only one loop. If Yu did really want to do it you could have a crack at the downhill ad you can buy one run at a time

FuzzyWuzzy

I like Skyline but not done it in ages since they started the logging, not sure how ridable it all is atm? Given a choice I’d do Afan for the variety but Cwmcarn is worth a stop if you can fit it in.

greeble
    Free Member

I like Skyline but not done it in ages since they started the logging, not sure how ridable it all is atm? Given a choice I’d do Afan for the variety but Cwmcarn is worth a stop if you can fit it in.

rode a few sections of it last night.

fast forward, on the edge, grand canyon etc all ok

Paceman
    Free Member

W2 at Afan will be a great day out.

prezet
    Free Member

Did Skyline last weekend, was fairly quiet. Weather was good though and got some great views.

Stopped at the FoD on the way home to do Verderers (for the first time) – what a great little trail, loads of berms, little drops, and a grin inducing final decent – loved it 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Don’t believe the times quoted on the mtbwales site, I can only assume that is for heffers or people who take cheese boards with them and have picnics. I am an average rider (thought I was fast till I did some races..)

GPS from last time round cwmcarn – 1hr 5mins –
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/127029960

Gives you an idea of the gradient profile etc… climb is a bit of a bitch, climbs at afan are very easy in comparasion, you don’t even need the granny… whilst cwmcarn is doable on a middle ring (I was running a 34t) it is painful.

Looking at last time I went to afan with mates, whites took 1hr 23mins, the wall took 1hr 56mins – mates really aren’t fit and I was on my 9 speed mmmmbop not the anthem, and there was a large lasagne inbetween 🙂

boxxer7
    Free Member

Well I went today had a great ride, arrived quite alot later than expected did W2 there are a couple of diversions in place at the moment with a really tricky climb, I run 1×9 on a 36T front so not easy gearing at all for the ups. Ended up going back to the top at the Glyncorrwg Mountain Bike Centre after taking a Wrong turn 🙄

My only complaint was the amount of fire road riding, some of this was due to the diversions though I think. Will Defintely return for another crack at it might look at going 10spd though.

Really enjoyed whites level defo the highlight of my day.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Afan or Cwmcarn’ is closed to new replies.