• This topic has 117 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Aeropress users
  • bigblackshed

If you use it the right way up, add a small amount of water to the grinds and stir to make a paste, then wait a few seconds before adding the rest of the water, it limits the drip through to next to nothing. Also putting the plunger in so it’s just the tip in, (ooh err, missus), stops the coffee running through because of the vacuum effect.

You know when you’ve hit full on pretentiousness, when you take the Aeropress, Triangia kettle and stove, and make good coffee on the beach. 😳

Cougar

You pour kettle water into the plunger up to your shot number.

Aha! I just used the amateur method of adding water directly onto the coffee.

I’ve always done this its in the instructions?

I’m 99% sure it wasn’t, on mine at least. I’ll check (assuming I still have it).

Cougar

You know when you’ve hit full on pretentiousness, when you take the Aeropress, Triangia kettle and stove, and make good coffee on the beach.

Pre-ground beans? How common of you.

bigblackshed

No, I get my Man to do the grinding. Nothing says middle class like the manual labour of grinding beans.

rkk01
    Free Member

Stove top pot is part of our camping “tradition”…

… wouldn’t be a proper camping trip without it

grantyboy
    Free Member

so how do you make a best coffee with the Aeropress. I’ve bought one and get freshly grounds beans from Pact every two weeks. But to be honest I’m underwhelmed by it all so wondering if I’m missing a trick.

I add a scoop of coffee, add boiled water then leave it for 30 secs to a minute. Then plunge for 20 secs. I also then add boiled water to my cup to make a mug of coffee with a splash of milk. So it’s an americano with milk I’m making really.

Clobber
    Free Member

You will always be underwhelmed… who puts milk in nice coffee??

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It can get a bit spoddy, but as a starter:

https://timwendelboe.no/resources/brewing-guide/aeropress/

For me, freshly ground coffee makes the biggest difference.

joshvegas
    Free Member

You know when you’ve hit full on pretentiousness, when you take the Aeropress, Triangia kettle and stove, and make good coffee on the beach.

Trangia…. Pffft kelly kettle heated on drift wood submerged for a minimum of 2 years then dried in the sun.

molgrips
    Free Member

Aren’t these just a variation on the French press, only with the added ‘benefit’ of a paper filter?

Higher pressure helps, apparently.

nickc

Fun fact: the French press was invented by an Italian

With what?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is the stainless filter worth the money? Reviews seem a little iffy.

Nescafe freeze dried instant or supermarket equivalent, problem sorted unless you love the pretentiousness, which is why I’m guessing these things are so popular?

Nestlé is boycotted in this house. Even if we drank instant (we don’t) I wouldn’t by Nescafé. Vile coffee, vile company.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@nickc – you need to ask? 😀

Cougar

With what?

Sales?

Is the stainless filter worth the money?

Seems like a step backwards to me; more mess, more to wash. No?

nickc

Ah right. Marketing/sales BS. Cool

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Is the stainless filter worth the money?

I think it makes a tastier cup. It’s a nice to have rather than an essential.

Downsides as per reviews, are that it is a tight fit in the Aeropress (they do say how to remedy this on their website http://www.kaffeologie.com/s-filter-fitting-guide), you can’t just squeeze grinds and filter into the bin (well, you can, but remember that you did this before rubbish collection day), and you end up inverted brewing.

Edit: Not much more to wash, just rinse it off with the rest of the Aeropress.

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems like a step backwards to me; more mess, more to wash. No?

I’d be tempted for camping, because I wouldn’t have to remember to pack filters.

With what?

Extracting things from grounds, I would imagine. After all, espresso is pretty different to filter coffee, and pressure is the main difference.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Nescafe freeze dried instant or supermarket equivalent, problem sorted unless you love the pretentiousness, which is why I’m guessing these things are so popular?

You obviously don’t like coffee.

spooky_b329

Grantyboy…let the water cool before adding to the aeropress, too hot spoils it. Nothing worse than a scorching hot coffee which then tastes crap when it cools down.

I boil the kettle and then leave the lid open for a few minutes to cool. Until the kettle broke, then I bought one where you can tell it what temperature to switch off, 80 degrees seems about right.

I usually fill to the second mark and use a scoop and a half of coffee.

I also find trying to do two large americano’s is stretching the Aeropress, seems better doing one at a time.

DrJ

Extracting things from grounds, I would imagine. After all, espresso is pretty different to filter coffee, and pressure is the main difference.

Well yeah, but espresso is brewed at 16 bars, which is about 10(*) times what you get in an Aeropress.

(*) yes, I did just invent that, but it’s about right, I imagine.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m quite happy with mine. i’ve never really got the obsession with minute differences in real coffee taste so it’s great for me. Make me a good coffee in the morning.

Sometimes it sprays coffee out the side when I’m pressing down, any ideas?

iwmunt
    Free Member

I’m after a metal filter for mine as the let the oils through unlike paper filters.

marczr
    Free Member

As well as preventing early seepage, especially when using a stainless filter, the inverted method makes for a coffee with a higher oil content. The frothy head contains a lot of the oils, in ‘normal’ use this remains in the puck, but used inverted a lot more of the oils get through to the cup.

irvb

Slightly off topic, but, I walked past Nestle’s UK HQ today.

Pride of place (visible to the outside world) on the ground floor is the Nescafe staff cafe.

Imagine working somewhere where Nescafe is the only option, and probably gross misconduct to be seen to be drinking actual coffee……

luket

Mine sometimes comes out the side when plunging too. I reckon it’s not quite a good enough fit between hard plastic parts but I also think even the tiniest spill of dry grounds into the thread causes it.

I use the inverted method but the water goes into cup before aeropress. Cools the water and warms the cup (both useful).

spooky_b329

Anyone know why a lot of the brewing guides (from the coffee suppliers) say stop plunging as soon as you hear it hiss? Does squeezing the grinds into a puck result in affecting the end result?

ElShalimo

Has anyone been scalded using the inverted method?
    Looks dangerous to a ham-fisted monkey like me

joshvegas
    Free Member

I ha e sent the inverted method flying on two occasions messy!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If it is spraying out the side, then I would guess your coffee is too finely ground.

Knocking over an upside down Aeropress over in the office kitchen doesn’t bear thinking about.

I’ve probably jinxed it now.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I also find trying to do two large americano’s is stretching the Aeropress, seems better doing one at a time.

+1

Imagine working somewhere where Nescafe is the only option, and probably gross misconduct to be seen to be drinking actual coffee……

😆 Doesn’t bear thinking about.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just tried the reverse method. Coffee certainly seems smoother.

rhbrhb
    Free Member

Aeropress is great but for camping (esp bikepacking) better to get one of these:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/GSI%20Outdoors%20Ultralight%20Java%20Drip/Owner%20Review%20by%20Richard%20Lyon/

Bit more fiddly and involved to brew with, but can still get good filter results.

Here’s size comparison v. Aeropress.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Interesting!

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’re spending 10 days on a boat with only the prospect of instant coffee to look forward to so I think I’ll try an Aeropress (could use it elsewhere as well).
    Any suggestions for where to buy before I go with a bundle from Brown Bear?

Cougar

better to get one of these:

I’ve got one, not use it yet. Will let you know in a couple of weeks.

samuri
    Free Member

If it is spraying out the side, then I would guess your coffee is too finely ground.

I’ll tell nescafe to get it sorted.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ll tell nescafe to get it sorted.

😆

franksinatra

For the coffee / boat problem have you thought about one of these?

Not as fancy as an aeropress but a perfectly acceptable compromise if you are sensible enough to not drink instant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Cafetiere-Hot-Mug-Red/dp/B00DB4JY72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404909870&sr=8-1&keywords=smartcafe+hot+cafetiere+mug

franksinatra

My problem with the aeropress is that it looks like a Austin Powers style vacuum penis enlarger. Given that our work kitchen is next to the gents toilet I would be very concerned to be seen several times a day walking through the office with that in my hand.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My problem with the aeropress is that it looks like a Austin Powers style vacuum penis enlarger. Given that our work kitchen is next to the gents toilet I would be very concerned to be seen several times a day walking through the office with that in my hand.

Sounds like a good reason to get one. Means you can also winking knowingly at the nubile office junior as you strut past to the kitchen. Also means you are fully entitled to dress like a 70s love god.

I’m taking mine into the office.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Aeropress users’ is closed to new replies.