• This topic has 117 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Aeropress users
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking you can make four ‘espressos’ at once?

oldejeans
    Free Member

yep

molgrips
    Free Member

I want one for our camping trip.. my wife is resisting.. 🙁

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yep 4 “espressos” there is nothing to resist.

I take it backpacking as my luxury

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep, simple & easy

brassneck

I use it more at home than camping, threw my stove top espresso maker in the camping kit instead. You can get them in the Maxx for under a tenner on occasion, hopefully your purchase review limit is over that 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

4 shots – really? so four scoops of coffee? brew for how long?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yup 4 scoops. I usually let it brew for about a minute ie as long as it takes me to faff.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve never quite got the Aeropress adulation thing. I’ve got one at work which I use every day and it does an adequate job, the grounds don’t flush up the side of the gauze like they do in a Cafetiere. But it doesn’t perform miracles or anything. Don’t quite get the reverence which some people bestow on it.
    It’s a fairly simple solution to a fairly simple problem.

lemonysam
    Free Member

So they’re cheap, simple and effective – is that not exactly why people like them?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I got the missus one as a backup when the espresso maker went in for a service. Quality seems good enough. It will be going in for camping/travelling as it’s much easier quicker and cleaner than any of the other options.

DrJ

I’ve never quite got the Aeropress adulation thing.

What he said. However, I will throw my sleeping bag overboard to make space for my http://www.handpresso.com/

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah.. handpresso are better? Prohibitively expensive in this case though I think.

DrJ

Handpresso actually makes espresso, and not just some strong filter coffee. Downsides are:
    a) expensive
    b) uses Illy ESE pads(*), which are expensive and bulky but make great coffee
    c) heavy
    d) only makes one at a time

Despite all that, I love it 🙂

(*) EDIT – you can get one that uses normal ground coffee

JonEdwards
    Free Member

It’s a fairly simple solution to the problem of making a single cup of filter coffee, and I would say it’s better at that (cleaner brew, less clearing up) than a cafetiere, but it is not in any way an espresso maker.

(and yes I have tried it using proper espresso grind and proper espresso water volume, it just really is not the same thing)

I’ve played with a handpresso (a mate has one). It makes something much closer to espresso than an aeropress, but an aeropress makes a better quality filter coffee than a handpresso makes espresso, if that makes sense…

DrJ

but an aeropress makes a better quality filter coffee than a handpresso makes espresso, if that makes sense…

Yes, but if espresso is what you want … 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

What I want is good coffee whilst camping. Aeropress seems to fit the bill. Other option is a stove-top pot, which I already have, but it seems to be far slower than using an Aeropress.

chrssmale
    Free Member

I’ve got both the Aeropress for home and the Handpresso for work and occasionally at home. The Aeropress is definitely the quickest and easiest, and makes better coffee than a caffetiere, however the Handpresso makes the best shot though. If you go for the Handpresso wild it’ll also take ground coffee aswell as the pods.

dmorts

To get the best out of an Aeropress you need to grind your own beans too. Supermarket “for all” grinds are too coarse and their espresso grinds too fine, although the latter is probably best of the two.

At places such as Artisan Roast you can buy an Aeropress specific grind. This is something I’ve been trying to replicate with my hand grinder, just about there I think….

I agree with Aeropress ? Espresso. But it’s better than a cafetiere and maybe a Moka pot in my opinion.

I’d vote Aeropress for camping

Cougar

I got one to take camping a couple of weeks ago. Once I’d got over the initial “twenty quid for a few bits of plastic” shocker, it’s actually remarkably good.

There may well be better ways of brewing coffee, no doubt for “proper” coffee I really need beans passed through a stoat and then ground between the thighs of an Eastern European pole dancer, brewed in a genuine pre-war Italian espresso machine using polar spring water dripped off the nose of Chris Bonnington, but I tell you what; in terms of faff-free, mess-free making of fresh coffee the Aeropress is hard to beat.

rOcKeTdOg

Nescafe freeze dried instant or supermarket equivalent, problem sorted unless you love the pretentiousness, which is why I’m guessing these things are so popular?

joshvegas
    Free Member

I hate instant coffee and love actual coffee.

Why carry something I hate?

I could carry smash for carbs but I don’t does that also make me prentious?

molgrips
    Free Member

Nescafe freeze dried instant or supermarket equivalent, problem sorted unless you love the pretentiousness, which is why I’m guessing these things are so popular?

No it’s because instant is horrible and real coffee is nice.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Took mine to Yorkshire whilst camping and had some admiring comments from the waft of my coffee so best thing I packed. On using the Aeropress I use the inverted method myself and find one and a half scoops of fresh ground is enough courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/providero

Cougar

Inverted method?

Cougar

Actually, that’s a point.

The gadget itself is ace, but the instructions were pish. What’s the point of the 1-2-3-4 graduation markings on the plunger, can anyone enlighten me?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Cougar inversion method… Turn it upside down with plunger in. Add cofee and water, fix filter on then turn over into cup. Benifits… Its not pouring through.

I think the plunger graduations might be to portion said espresssos.

brassneck

What’s the point of the 1-2-3-4 graduation markings on the plunger, can anyone enlighten me?

Number of shots I thought. One scoop of grounds per shot, top up with water to the mark.

Aeropress is not espresso, just looks vaguely similar written down. Makes a nice shot of coffee though, and that’s all I ask of it.

dmorts

The 4 marker is where I fill it to using normal method or where I put the plunger using inverted method

I generally follow this – http://vimeo.com/63530954
    but without using scales or a timer. Did it a few times weighing everything and timing, then just guess now. I know where 15g of beans comes to in the grinder hopper, I know where the amount of water comes to in the press, around 4.

Cougar

Benifits… Its not pouring through.

Ah! Cunning, ta.

I think the plunger graduations might be to portion said espresssos.

This is my “unconvinced” face.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think cougar is reffering to the extra numbers on the plunger.

Cougar

The 4 marker is where I fill it to using normal method or where I put the plunger using inverted method

… on the body of the outside bit, yes. I’m talking about similar markings on the plunger itself.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I am not ver convinced either but its the best i couldcome up with.

dmorts

on the body of the outside bit, yes. I’m talking about similar markings on the plunger itself.

You have to make them line up otherwise the coffee won’t be as good 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Whats the longest you have used a filter for?

2weeks for me. Use, rinse, dry.

Is that a bit tight?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Is that a bit tight?

I’m going with yes.

I’ve got a stainless steel filter for mine, so I don’t have to carry around the paper filters.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I keep intending to get one of the metal filters, where did you source yours?

akak
    Free Member

You pour kettle water into the plunger up to your shot number. Dip thermometer in and wait to hit your target before pouring it onto the grounds. I’ve always done this its in the instructions?

nickc

Aren’t these just a variation on the French press, only with the added ‘benefit’ of a paper filter?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

joshvegas, on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Filter-AeroPress-Ultra-Stainless-Coffee/dp/B00A1GVVMY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404743840&sr=8-1&keywords=aeropress+steel+filter

However, given your paper filter strategy, it’s probably going to be around 2048 before you run out of the ones they supplied you in the box.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Aeropress users’ is closed to new replies.