• This topic has 48 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Aeroflot – anyone used them
  • avdave2

I’ve only flown with them once from Moscow to Paris.
    I’ve no idea if they are any good as I spent the entire flight soaked through in sweat and filling sick bag after sick bag after getting food poisoning in Moscow. One of my colleagues was sat next to me doing exactly the same, I did feel really sorry for the third person in our row, I bet he’ll never fly with them again.

br
    Free Member

I think I’ve decided that Aeroflot are the best option.

over a 5h1t stick, or were there other options?

😯

footflaps

[hijack] Looks like some of the posters have some nice work. Is anyone working in minerals, mining or materials industries and need an extra hand?[/hijack]

No, but I have a food parcel for an Aunt I need delivered and will pay you £2000 to carry it in your luggage for me 😉

hugo
    Free Member

Taking a dodgy airline is part of the fun of travelling to far out places.

Taking an internal flight in the Nepal himalayas this year was great fun.

Go for it!

DrJ

Taking an internal flight in the Nepal himalayas this year was great fun.

Landing at Lukla in bright sunshine is so beautiful you forget to be scared. Taking off in clouds – not so much.

Flaperon

I wouldn’t. I watched an Aeroflot A320 take off from Munich in heavy snow without de-icing, much to the astonishment of everyone else on the frequency including the tower. You can get an alleviation from Airbus for minor ice contamination, but not for four inches of snow on the wing.

Likewise Turkish Airlines – they may have fancy new planes and cheap tickets, but I’ve been behind one that took off illegally in Jordan in poor weather and that’s enough to ensure I never get on one unless they let me drive.

jonba
    Free Member

I wouldn’t. I watched an Aeroflot A320 take off from Munich in heavy snow without de-icing, much to the astonishment of everyone else on the frequency including the tower. You can get an alleviation from Airbus for minor ice contamination, but not for four inches of snow on the wing.

Likewise Turkish Airlines – they may have fancy new planes and cheap tickets, but I’ve been behind one that took off illegally in Jordan in poor weather and that’s enough to ensure I never get on one unless they let me drive.

Interesting, I’m flying with Turkish Airlines in December. And I’ve just come back from Jordan (where you have to keep your seat belt fastened after take off for about 45 minutes until you’ve cleared the various surrounding not very friendly countries).

Most of what I can find about Aeroflot being bad seems to be based on old information. Recent reviews seem fine.

I’ve flown with other “dodgy” airlines, I’m still probably more likely to get killed cycling home tonight in the fog.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well to be fair they appear to have a better safety record than Air France over the past 10 to 15 years, certainly better than Korean Air. Listening to my brother, who works in the oil industry and spent 4 years in the middle of nowhere in northern Russia, totally cut off in winter where getting around meant flying in dodgy helicopters or old knackered AN-2’s, your average Russian pilot is more likely to be far more experienced and skilled in operating in snow and ice conditions. Anyway, just playing devils advocate as they certainly wouldn’t be my first choice to fly with, but I think i’d take my chances compared with the Korean Air option, both on convenience and safety grounds.

However, its still worth remembering, the odds of being involved in an air Accident resulting with fatalities are so remote that if you were to choose at random to fly a scheduled service anywhere in the world, on average it would be over 200,000 years until you were involved in such an Accident or Incident – and even then the odds are you’d survive.

hugo
    Free Member

Taking off in clouds – not so much.

Agreed, I was staggered by the himalayas. We ended up grounded in Jomsom for a couple of days due to cloud, and eventually went during a “window”. Not a big window.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Aeroflot – anyone used them’ is closed to new replies.