• This topic has 48 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Aeroflot – anyone used them
  • jonba
    Free Member

I assume people on here have used Aeroflot. Are they as bad as people say? Our travel agent said they were our cheapest option but also that they were not the best. Alternatives aren’t great, either an overnight in China on China Air (which means we need a visa) or 10 hours waiting in Seoul (Korean Airline).

Flying long haul to Ulaanbaatar which is 29 hours of planes and airports so another night or 10h is not at all appealing but then neither are two long haul flights with a really bad airline.

Caher

I waited 10 hours in Seoul travelling en route using Korean airline for both legs – nice airport and airline. Might be worth the wait?

enfht
    Free Member

Not the best safety record, domestic worse than international. An aeroflot pilot once let his son take the controls and the aircraft crashed, you can probably listen to the black box voice recordings on youtube. Not good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I waited 10 hours in Seoul travelling en route using Korean airline for both legs – nice airport and airline. Might be worth the wait?

Not flown Aeroflot myself, as my travel agents will never let us book on them, even if they’re cheap! The above is what I would do, to be honest. Suck up the wait, fly a proper airline.

konabunny
    Free Member

You probably won’t be interested seeing as you have such an epic trip but I think Korean does stopover day trips into Seoul from the aurport

squirrelking
    Free Member

Last time I flew i to that neck of the woods it was with Lufthansa into Incheon. Was a bugger doing Glasgow to London to Frankfurt but given your alternatives I was quite happy with what I got given. At that time you got to Frankfurt with BMI.

TL:DR **** Aeroflot.

creamegg
    Free Member

Flew to Thailand and back (in 2001) by Aeroflot. Not sure I’d do it again!

Bazz

In the wake of the recent tragedy over the Sinai peninsular I heard a commentator mention that Russian airlines safety record is 4 times worse than the international average. If this recent tragedy does turn out to be terrorist related in response to Russia’s intervention in Syria and coupled with what a friend in the industry tells me, I’d steer well clear.

But that said I have no personal experience.

Pigface
    Free Member

Back in 87 and it was bonkers, literally canvas seats and landing in Moscow was an event.

If you want a life event go with them, if you are the type of person who wants all your creature comforts then look else where.

bencooper
    Free Member

Flew with them back in the days of the Soviet Union – for a kid it was brilliant fun. Converted bombers with the bomb bay doors welded shut (hopefully!) and seats bolted down, you could climb up into the glass nose for a look.

Then there was the flight to Irkutsk, stopping over in Novosobirsk where the pilots all retired to the pilot’s lounge and necked a couple of bottles of vodka. Eventually a group of passengers dragged them out, forced some strong coffees down their necks, and told them to take us the rest of the way.

Or the pilot’s pre-flight checks, which consisted entirely of walking around the aircraft kicking the tyres.

Or the flight where they remembered to pack the clever chess sets that clipped to the armrests so you could play with your neighbour, but forgot to pack any cutlery whatsoever, and served beef stew.

I guess what I’m saying is whatever they’re like now, they must be much, much better than they were 😉

jonba
    Free Member

bencooper, I think that is where the reputation comes from. Like Pigface suggesting that they were bonkers back in 87 – not really relevant now.

creamegg, why not? As I won’t pay to go business my self (and neither will my employer) I don’t find long haul an enjoyable experience. Anything over about 6 hours is always a pain in cattle class – even using airlines with a good reputation.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I remember working on a few back in the late 1990’s, but my mum always said say nothing if you don’t have anything nice to say.

br
    Free Member

As I won’t pay to go business my self (and neither will my employer) I don’t find long haul an enjoyable experience. Anything over about 6 hours is always a pain in cattle class – even using airlines with a good reputation.

Many years ago I asked to be upgraded on an African flight, and work said no. So I said I’d go to Newcastle instead.

Why they asked? Because I went to Newcastle last month and got paid the same as flying economy on a 5h1t airline and working in a 5h1thole.

creamegg
    Free Member

Because I thought the run way would end before we’d ever get airborne- I swear we must have only been feet above the trees when it did eventually take off. On board food was a boiled egg (with shell still on) and a very stale bit of bread. I was a student at the time so every penny counted but these days I’d rather pay a few hundred more for a bit more comfort and reassurance

islander

Flew Moscow to Ulaanbaatar in 2010. No real issues with them, plane was fairly new by look of it. Food wasn’t up to much then and imagine be much the same now. Had an unexpected stop in Irkutsk due to weather. That was a story in itself, don’t think anyone told them cold war had ended. Return flight uneventful so would have no real concerns. Check out the Mongolian internal flights. They scary.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

No never used them and woulnt

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Acquaintance crash landed in one of theirs once. Good luck.

Xylene
    Free Member

I’ve done the UB route quite a few times.

What are you doing out there in UB?

The flight is fine, short connection in Moscow, easy to get to the transfr though, Aeroflot are not an issue on that route – takke a tablet as not TV.

Other option is through Istanbul – terrible transfer plus a stop in Bischkek to refuel.

I used to take off from UB and be home within 16 hours – it is a short flight, definitely worth doing rather than 29hours of transfers which is awful

tonyplym
    Free Member

Used Aeroflot this summer to get to Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan) from Heathrow via Moscow; all flights ran to time, food was OK and my bike got there and back as safely as I did. Six others doing the same cycling trip as I did flew with other carriers from UK via Istanbul to Bishkek – half of them had delayed baggage with one not getting his bike until a week into the trip.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Not since circa 1992. Did a couple of years doing a Moscow to St Petersburg and back thing. After a couple of trips I went to the overnight sleeper train. Never crossed my mind to fly again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Possible to split it up via somewhere for nice overnight? Singapore?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ The direct flight from LHR to UBN is short, via Moscow. All other routes add a chunk to it other than the appalling Istanbul route.

Do weigh up flights not being able to land due to pollution though, if you are travelling in winter. I had staff stuck on a plane for 16 hours trying to land on the Istanbul leg – in and out over and over.

Korea idea is nice if you are going that way, but why overshoot and then head back by 3 hours simply to stop over in an airport.

Aeroflot are fine, food is ok, service is good, baggage allowance is great – $50usd per extra bag, flat rate up to 25 or 30kg.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

By via Moscow is that also via the Ukraine?

Xylene
    Free Member

No.

Russians aren’t going to shoot down their own planes though, are they?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Think that implies people knew what they were shooting at. Sometimes it’s worth actually asking.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ I don’t think that would get a good reception from the aircrew though

“Excuse me. You aren’t planning on shooting down this plane are you?”

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Eh what…
    Asking about the route, checking where it’s going and what the safety record is.

DrJ

STW – where else do you get advice from regular travellers to Ulan Batar?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ FFS – Ulaanbaatar and it’s Chinggis Khan not blood Genghis.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about safety now – well no more than any other airline. Historically they operated crappy ex-soviet aircraft, they’ve now refreshed their fleet and have pretty new Airbus and Boeing aircraft for their wide bodies. If their recent safety records was still that poor (and I include the organisational safety procedures) then they would be banned from flying into Europe – many airlines have, so they’re not the least safe by any stretch.

Selled
    Free Member

I fly aerofoil regularly. No problem.

I also flew China air a couple of months ago and was surprised how good it was. (In econony).

China visa costs a bit. Make sure you factor this into the price. Have you used http://www.checkfelix.com to check yourself?

rOcKeTdOg

Flew to Moscow in 1981 with them, bits of the interior of the plane literally fell off during mild turbulence. Proper prison guard looking babushka stewardess shouting orders (presumably flight safety instructions?) Never found out as no english was spoken apart from during meal service when we got told to “EAT”
    I also think we bounced 3 times hitting the frozen runway but by then there was nothing else inside the cabin to fall off

stewartc
    Free Member

Did a couple of Heatherow/Moscow trips in the mid 00’s, OK airline, plane was a Boeing I think, I only remember they did not have any TV’s, mind you, some United flights don’t either to this day (HKG to San Fran anyway).

doog
    Free Member

If no time pressure, fly to Beijing and get the train up… does involve another visa of course!

HansRey

I’ve avoided aeroflot in the past, but they are generally 20-30% cheaper than the local airline here, when flying out of Europe. It’s getting harder to resist.

[hijack] Looks like some of the posters have some nice work. Is anyone working in minerals, mining or materials industries and need an extra hand?[/hijack]

konabunny
    Free Member

In the wake of the recent tragedy over the Sinai peninsular I heard a commentator mention that Russian airlines safety record is 4 times worse than the international average. If this recent tragedy does turn out to be terrorist related in response to Russia’s intervention in Syria and coupled with what a friend in the industry tells me, I’d steer well clear.

Right – but that’s including all the Alaska-style bush flights and dodgy cargo on ancient planes. Int airport to int airport on air buses is a different kettle of fish.

konabunny
    Free Member

Not considering MIAT, then…?

mogrim

Chinggis Khan not blood Genghis.

In English it’s Genghis.

jonba
    Free Member

Thanks,

I think I’ve decided that Aeroflot are the best option.

I’m going on holiday. Wife and I are planning on horse riding south to north over three weeks (Equus Journey holidays). We have already booked off 3 weeks so taking any longer is hard. Apart from Korea we are looking at £700 more for flights.

I’d love to get the train or even drive out but that would involve both my wife and I finding a lot more time off work.

Xylene
    Free Member

[hijack] Looks like some of the posters have some nice work. Is anyone working in minerals, mining or materials industries and need an extra hand?[/hijack]

All well and good, unless the government goes mental, a bank goes under, the Tugrik falls 33% on the dollar, rules change, small mines close, OT stop digging, and Rio Tinto (OT) send most of their staff home.

Interesting place to live and work. Some of the most stunningly beautiful women I have ever seen, and some of most masculine men I have ever come across- one of my colleagues used to refer to the massive men as Mangolians, made her go weak at the knees. Her husband was a man mountain of khusher eating, horseback riding, wolf hunting manliness.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Aeroflot – anyone used them’ is closed to new replies.