Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Advice/Opinions for a first time buyer.
  • feenster
    Free Member

If you would be so kind STW oracle, I'd be interested in your thoughts on my dilemna.

After years of saving, me and my partner can now get a mortgage at x2.75 of £180000. We've got a 10% of that for a deposit, plus a bit more for fees and furniture. No debts and a good credit record.

There are some mortgages avaialable, but with that deposit, best interest rate is 6%.

Things look more affordable now that they have been for a few years, but apparenly they're on the way back up.

So, dilemna is, move now, get mortgaged up to the eyeballs (£1000 a month) before things move out of reach again? Or, trust my hunch that there is still more to play out in this housing crash, keep saving and wait till lending conitions improve?

jam-bo

depends if your buying an investment or a home.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think your location makes some difference to how the market will move but buy now if you don't intend to move for a few years. Negative equity only matters if you want to sell.

Hoses are more affordable now than they have been for a while but still expensive in historical terms.

You are also in a buyers market so bargaining is on your side.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If, after 'years of saving' on salaries like yours you only have a 10% deposit and a bit more for other out of pocket expenses, are you sure you can afford £1k a month and potentially much more when interest rates go back up?

It took me 2 years to save 10% on a £42k house when I was earning £12k a year back in 1994-ish

feenster
    Free Member

depends if your buying an investment or a home.

Definitely a home, but not THE home, as we're in edinburgh, and like it and don't want to move out, we can't afford the family home just yet, we'll need a few steps to get there. 2/3 bed flat or similar for now.

If, after 'years of saving' on salaries like yours you only have a 10% deposit

We haven't been saving madly, we've been having quite a nice life, and we've both been back to further education, which we're just now recovereing from (another story). I'd say most of that is from two years of hard-ish saving.

are you sure you can afford £1k a month

I think so, but not sure. It would still leave us with £2k a month as long as we both stay in full time work at our current salaries, and as I say, no other debts.

But no kids at the mo, and they could well be along soon [shudders]

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Are you currently renting? Remember there will be many more additional expenses over and above the mortgage – life insurance (strongly recommended to protect any surviving mortgagee in the event of death), council tax, insurance etc.

My wife and I had a joint income of around £3,600 and no debts other than the mortgage (£100k) and a small car loan but most of that was gone at the end of the month (although we were saving quite a bit as well).

Now she is on maternity…. OUCH!

feenster
    Free Member

Are you currently renting?

Yep. At a very reasonable £450 a month – our land lady is very nice and not at all mercanary.

So we should in theory be able to save at a quicker rate than most, but that doesn't get round the fact our salaries are modest in edinburgh terms, and that probably won't change.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fair enough – I am just trying to make the point that there are lots of other less obvious costs on top of the mortgage – I am sure you have done your homework, but I still find it scary now trying to find out where all the money goes after 15+ years of home ownership. 🙁

feenster
    Free Member

that's exactly the kind of perspective I'm looking for, just to check we're not deluding ourselves – cheers mastiles.

So, on top of £1k, what other new expenses would we have that we don't have renting, and what would be a ball park figure for those? £200? £500? n?

bensales
    Free Member

The only regular expense I can think of if owning rather than renting is life insurance. You'll want to make sure your partner (if you're joint mortgagees) can afford to pay the mortgage if something happens to you (or vice versa).

Otherwise the main difference between owning and renting, is maintenance and if something breaks. Then you've got to pay for it rather than phoning the landlord. Oh and you'll need buildings insurance too.

That said, I've never rented only owned so I don't know if stuff like water tends to get included or not.

My mortgage is similar to your planned one at a shade over a £1100 a month (for 160k), but our outgoings not including food are another 400 quid for all the insurances, bills, etc. This is for a 2 bedroom detached house in the glorious Midlands.

uplink
    Free Member

The housing market certainly looks like it's moving now

From the Halifax report this month

Key facts

• House prices rose by 1.6% in September. This was the third consecutive monthly increase and the fifth so far in 2009.

• House prices increased by 2.8% in Quarter 3. This was the first quarterly rise for two years (2007 Quarter 3) and the biggest since 2007 Quarter 1 (2.9%).

• The UK average house price in September was 1.7% (£2,672) higher than at the end of 2008. Prices have risen by 5.9% since reaching a trough in April 2009; an increase in the average price of just over £9,000. The national average price is currently at a similar level to that in mid 2005.

• House prices in September were 7.4% lower on an annual basis. The annual rate of change (measured by the average for the latest three months against the same period a year earlier) has fallen markedly from a low of -17.7% in April. It is at its lowest since June 2008 (-6.1%).

feenster
    Free Member

me and my partner can now get a mortgage at x2.75 of £180000

Actully that's wrong – £180000 is our mortgage plus deposit, so mortgage would be £162k @ x2.75.

I realised when I read:

a shade over a £1100 a month (for 160k)

bensales
    Free Member

And I got that wrong as well 🙂 It's 1080 for 165k.

Damn being fixed for 2 years.

seven
    Free Member

Feenster, why don't you try saving then balance between your rent and proposed mortgage (plus other regular savings) and this will let you see if you cab survive with that commitment, and quickly get you a bigger deposit, reducing the actual mortgage (assuming no major house price rises)?

feenster
    Free Member

The housing market certainly looks like it's moving now

My hunch is that's fuelled by the cash/equity rich minority who have been wiating to smell the bottom of the market.

I reckon there is a majority, like me, with modest to low deposits, or are in -ve or low equity who are in a catch-22 of affordable prices, but poor lending conditions and need to wait.

I reckon it'll stall again. And so it should imo. We need to learn the lessons of the last few years and not rush to create another bubble.

The last thing we need is another sellers market, for everyone's sake

feenster
    Free Member

why don't you try saving then balance between your rent and proposed mortgage

I like that idea – thanks!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our expenses per month….
    Home insurance (building and contents with bling bike cover)- £60
    BT (phone and interweb) – £30
    Life assurane – £32
    Dental cover – £27
    Council tax – £130
    Gas/leccy – £80
    Sky – £22
    Mortgage – £770
    TV licence – £12
    Water rates – £18
    Car loan – £200
    Pensions – £350
    Food/nappies (wife + two babies) – £300 allowance

That's just short of £2,050 a month and doesn't allow for my wife's phone or car running costs (mine are through my business so it pays for them).

The only real 'luxuries' are the car loan and the Sky/interweb on our outgoings, yet all our money is accounted for.

Damn scary

feenster
    Free Member

gulp @mastiles_fanylion

But thanks for the insight – very usefull to see

the00
    Free Member

Looking at house prices historically, they tend to 'bottom' for quite a while, but it might be the interest rate rises that makes ownership more expensive. However, you can offset this by saving for a bigger deposit. Many have commented that it's not worth starting out now without at least 20% deposit.

Definatly worth working out what you can afford, as MF suggests.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I tend to agree with 7's approach too 🙂

GrahamS
    daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Our expenses per month….
    Home insurance (building and contents with bling bike cover)- £60
    BT (phone and interweb) – £30
    Life assurane – £32
    Dental cover – £27
    Council tax – £130
    Gas/leccy – £80
    Sky – £22
    Mortgage – £770
    TV licence – £12
    Water rates – £18
    Car loan – £200
    Pensions – £350
    Food/nappies (wife + two babies) – £300 allowance

Jesus our sky is £80 :O

(although does cover phone and broadband)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Jesus our sky is £80 :O

Ours was £45 but we reduced it because there was never any decent films on and I never got to watch the sports channels.

We are thinking about combining our Sky/phone/broadband to save a little.

BigDummy
    Free Member

For what it is worth, we bought, probably fairly close to the top of the market although within our means. Owning a house has given me a long list of dull things that I never used to have to do, and the claustrophobic sense that if I stop earning for a few months the world will fall in.

Savings, on the other hand, give me a warm glow of knowing that it's all going to be OK. 🙂

therealhoops
    Free Member

If you can get a 15% deposit then you'll have alot more mortgages to choose from. I'd get on the ladder now as the prices will only go up. Make sure you haggle like **** and double check ALL the solicitor fees, e.g. Archive fee £25….isn't required by law so don't bother.

Xan
    Free Member

Would you not think about staying outside of Edinburgh to get a cheaper deal? the house prices there have not been effected as much as other parts of the country. E.g. there are new train lines planned from the likes of Airdrie and coatbridge (OK not the nicest places in teh World) and you can get a new 4 bed detached there for £200k. Your lucky to get a 2 bed flat in some place in the Burgh for that. Need to take into account commuting costs (I'm from Airdrie and costs me about £8 a day, £160 a month or less if you can car share. I drive to the Gyle)Just a thought. I await the abuse for living in the Buckfast Triangle lol.

I'm currently in the same predicament as a first time buyer. This is my calculations built in actual quotes, not assumptions. This is for a £76k Mort over 30 years.
    358 Mort
    75 Council Tax
    60 Gas/elec
    55 sky/phone
    20 House Insurance
    12 TV license
    20 Critical Illness

Plus other personal comitments. This is all based on a 2 bed flat and living on my own. just gives you a look at it from the other end of the spectrum. If its your first house, it's only a starting point and can build on it from there

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh? Buy now. The market is as low as it will get – thats my guess. Still well expensive compared tot he rest of the country

Xan – don't forget to add your commuting costs and time into the equation

Xan
    Free Member

TJ, as I said £160/month it to drive in and out to the Gyle from Airdrie. I'm less than that cause I car share. Summer time I'll be cycling the 28 miles each way saving yet more of my hard earned bucks. I can afford more thatn the above, just dont really see the point for a first home on my own. Give me bike money and lets me keep running a nice car and a night out or 2 every weekend.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sorry Xan – didn't see that.

ski
    Free Member

feenster – is it an old property?

Your not going to move in and then decide it needs new windows, carpet, kitchen, bathroom, central heating, etc. are you?

In my book, always keep something back, just in case.

(we ended up with coughing up £10k for a new kitchen within the first year)

😉

toby1

Personally I'm just going to keep saving with a view to the interest on the mortgage amount being greater than the total you'd save by having a larger depsoit for the timebeing, that and I don't have quite 10% yet, and think 20% would be a better option. Provided I don't have a heavily expensive trip to Kenya next year as I did this year I should be well on the way to 20% by this time next year.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Edinburgh still expensive, try Aberdeen, no credit crunch here!

feenster
    Free Member

is it an old property

We haven't found on yet.

In my book, always keep something back, just in case.

I wish….we're going to be lookin gdown the back of the [rented] sofa for every last penny just to get through the door, and probably sleeping on matresses and sitting on bean bags for the first year, never mind putting in a new kitchen. 😉

I take your point though….

uplink
    Free Member

When we bought our first house [86, I think] all we had was a bed without any legs, a coffee table, & 2 deck chairs
    The previous occupants had left a cooker & we went to the local auction & bought a 2nd hand fridge & a sofa for £12

happy days 😀 – no, really they were

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yeah, I am with uplink… When I bought my first house (15 or so years ago) I begged, borrowed and stole (well bought second-hand) almost everything.

My mum and dad would go around supermarkets looking on the second-hand adverts for me and I just asked for everything from everybody. I got a great second-hand Habitat leather sofa (my brother inherited it and recently sold it on Ebay). Fridge freezer and washing machine from local free newspaper (sold for same price as I bought them for to the person who bought the house from me 7 years later). Habitat table and chairs bought second-hand and sold for more than I paid for them.

I even dragged my mates' father along to the local DIY store when I bought the (cheapest they had) kitchen as he was retired and could get 15% off on Thursdays.

Spent the first few years drinking supermarket lager in an unheated and dark home whilst keeping warm in a sleeping bag.

Mad now I look back at it, but I had some great times. And a VERY fit neighbour opposite who didn't seem to realise that her bedroom had curtains 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

Your hunch is my hunch (and also the hunch of many of the economists/investors like Steve Keen, Mish, and Jim Mellon who predicted the 07/08 crash), keep out of it. Housing is over-valued, and will fall upto 40% after the withdrawal of the stimulus. Taking on a £1000 a month mortgage will look like a bad decision in two years time. My advice, keep saving, and diversify where you keep those savings – 60% sterling, 20% euro, 20% gold (you can buy relatively small amounts and gold is on a bull market). This is not aggressive investment advice, merely protective.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No chance of a 40% fall in house prices – certainly not in Edinburgh.

There has been little fall anyway so far here and I simply don't see any signs of any fall in values

badnewz
    Free Member

Re 40% fall, this would effectively mean wiping off around the last 5 years of housing price growth. The stock market effectively lost 40% in two months last year. The housing market has proven resilient so far because of the huge unprecedented fiscal stimulus, but the stimulus cannot continue indefinitely, and once it is drawn back, with no major driver for jobs (Edinburgh is a financial centre, lots of job losses there), unprecedented personal debt levels (rampant iron bru consumption), and a cutback in public spending (who's going to clear up all that sick on a sunday morning), a long period of deflation (cheaper bottles of ginger), I think it could be on the cards.
    In other words I don't think the last year is a typical and therefore instructive period on which to base economic projections. It's like bench-pressing your max weight pumped up on steriods, then expecting yourself to be able to do that indefinitely after the steriods are taken away.

feenster
    Free Member

@badnewz

ignoring your Irn Bru and ginger jibes 😉

I find myself agreeing. Scotland and edinburgh have a very high dependancy on the financial and public sector for jobs. Me and my partner are the latter.

My partner should be fine (NHS), but I work for a governement dept, and it's pretty clear that after next year's election, no matter who wins, all manner of pain is on the way for the public sector. I feel relatively secure, as my profession is quite transferable to public or private sector, but I just think there are many more redundancies to come for scotland.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The stock market effectively lost 40% in two months last year.

And has just seen its quickest % increase ever last month.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Advice/Opinions for a first time buyer.’ is closed to new replies.