Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Advice required for newbie heavy rider
  • hungryb
    Free Member

Hello all

I’m new to MTB. I want to start exploring the Surrey Hills (not far from me).

I commute regularly but am still rather heavy (almost 16 st).

I intend to try a few demo bikes but aim to buy second hand, so a bit limited in what I can demo. I don’t mean to stir up a FS V HT debate as I would like to try a FS bike.

I suppose that my main question is more about shocks. Is there a shock out there that is better for heavy riders. I would like an effective lock out. If there is a good shock for me, I’ll start looking for bikes that come with them, or just do my own build if need be.

My riding will be leisure riding around Surey Hills. I will not be that aggressive, so I was thinking of a short travel set up based on what I’ve read. But TBH, I have hardy any experience of MTB.

Thanks for your advice

cubemeup
    Free Member

i would look at a 5inch travel bike which you will grow into. im 17st nearly i started with a 100mm FS. i can comment on surry hills as i live in east wales. look at a giant trance cube ams or stereo. im sure you can pick a few 2010 or 2009 bikes online if you have a good look.

DT78
    Free Member

I know you said you didn’t want too….but I would recommend a really nice hardtail rather than a full suss. A properly sorted one is a joy to ride, I’ve got a few bikes and my big bike (6″ nomad) gets very little use, prob once a month at a welsh trail centre and a week in morzine a year. The hardtail is ridden 3-4 times a week.

Hardtail is cheaper and alot less maintance, at 16 stone with regular riding you will need to service your shock annually (you should anyway) and that can add up (50-100 a pop). Once you get the bug and know you love riding get your suspension bike…

Take a look at genesis bikes.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

If you’re new to MTB’ing then I can’t recommend a hardtail enough- it’ll make you think about your riding and teach you the necessary skills to become a good MTB’er, while a bouncy bike will give you more “instant results” in terms of going faster it won’t teach you the skillz you need.

Beyond that debate, an air shock will allow more adaptability without having to buy new bits (like new coil springs). While coil springs (debatedly) offer better performance you will have much less adjustment to learn what suits you best without swapping springs.

So, erm, yeah- air sprung shocks. Which most bikes for XC come with now anyway.

luked2
    Free Member

When I was a newbie I bought a FS. It was OK… but I was much happier once I’d upgraded the frame to a hardtail (On-One 456).

More to go wrong, IME.

takisawa2

Same weight as you. My FS is Ventana El-Ciclon. Nice well built bike, but don’t come cheap though. Love my HT just as much, but FS kinder on my back. 16st isn’t that heavy

ampthill

I don’t think 16 stone is outside what most bike manafacturers are expecting, its now much more than me

So I think that you can just use the reviews off bike radar as a guide. With patient e-bay lurking there are bargains

I got a Trek Fuel ex 6.5 for £800, ridden once 6 months old. Its my first FS bike and I like it. I think that Giant, Trek and Specialized all make decent FS bikes. Some of the cheaper X-fusion equipped Spec’ bikes can be bobby but in general modern bikes don’t need a lock out, just get out and ride

I’ve had alot of time om a rigid back end. I think that FS is fine but I knew I liked ridding off road. A used 100mm hard tail might be a better starting point, until your sure that you do

loddrik
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. I’m 16.5st and have never needed to make concessions on any kit. On the contrary, it seems I break much less than many on here but I enjoy throwing myself about in order to achieve a very smooth riding style which obviously works.

_tom_
    Free Member

Another +1 for hardtail. Get something made of steel and it should have a bit of give to soften the trail a little bit.

I’m about 16 stone and riding a BFe with Pike 454 airs. Used to have a Trailstar. Both frames are good, BFe is a bit better.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Get air front suspension so that you can tune it to your weight. I was the same weight as you and coil shocks were always to soft for me. You can buy firmer springs but it will add on an additional cost.

As others have said, get a hardtail, it’s cheaper, easier to maintain and you’ll develop your skills more. Look at it as a right of passage, everyone should start off on a hardtail and once you feel the need, buy a FS too! 🙂

topgunsteve
    Free Member

I’m 6’4″ and 18 1/2 stone, Got a Trek Fuel EX8, absolutely awesome, You just need to tune the shock pressures to your weight. I ride mine quite aggressively (on the decents) and it just sucks everything up.

If you’re riding the trails around the surrey hills I would suggest that you don’t need an FS and would be better getting a HT and honing your skills a little more.

On-one are doing a complete rolling chassis for £399, all you need is the groupset and you’ll have a decent starter bike. You can get the full Shimano Deore disc groupset for £299 from merlin. I think you’d have a pretty decent bike. After a few months/year you’ll have a much better idea of how you ride, what you like to ride and how much you use it, then see if its worth investing in an FS. If you’re after a decent FS frame and set-up its worth investing in something reliable and well built.

neil853
    Free Member

what topgunsteve says is a good idea, get an on one and ride it for 12-18 months seeing how you get on. I’ve ridden quite a bit round that area and a hardtail is probably the best bet, yes i know its nice to have 100-120mm travel but as a newbie thats what i would do. As for the weight thing i’m 15 1/2 stone and i’ve never considered my weight with buying kit, more depends how you ride etc.

On one, pair of rockshox pike’s on the front and away you go! 😆

clubber
    Free Member

I’m a similar weight to you.

Shocks will be fine though IME air shocks have the advantage of being easier to set to your weight (eg you can change the spring with a pump rather than having to actually get a new spring for it)

But on the FS front, my experience is that they will break sooner or later unless you’re buying a full on DH bike designed for strength above any real weight saving. I ride HTs at the moment simply because I got bored and fed up with the expense of replacing broken FS frames (though I’ll ride FS bikes if I get a cheap enough bargin on the classifieds so that I can live with the cost).

If you’re new to mtb, I’d alway recommend HT to start anyway – for a start it’s cheaper (usually!) and more to the point, you will learn better technique which typically will stay with you rather than trying to learn it later.

Cheap Inbred frame on the classifieds with Revelations or similar would be a cheap and very capable bike to start with which you could easily upgrade/replace as you get more experience if you feel the need.

95kg marathon racer here.
    Apart from one or two exotic lightweight components, like titanium egg beaters, you are within the weight range that most shocks, forks and other components are designed to cope with.
    I don’t like the way mountain biking is divided in to various styles, but for a heavier rider it might be best to pick rims that are aimed at “all mountain” or “free ride” rather than XC. Other than that, you’ll be OK riding the same bike as anyone else.

Another vote for hardtail as well. Preferably a 29er. 😉

spacemonkey

Sensible advice above ref bike choice.

The other thing to bear in mind is whether you see your weight dropping off as you get more into it. Not that I’m making any judgements (nobody does in this place 🙂 )but if your username is ‘hungryb’ then one might assume you like a good feed. Therefore, if you expect to drop a couple of stones in say the next year, then you’re likely to find yourself being a much more confident/competent/speedy type of rider who might like to experiment with other riding styles (that require a different kind of bike).

Just my tuppence.

Trekster

Blue Pig
    Sektor forks from here
    Groupset from this selection

+ all your other bits`n pieces from the site classifieds

spindi
    Free Member

If you’re going to start putting the miles in (HT or FS) then I would have a think about the grips and the saddle that you choose. Personally, I’ve got Thick Sunline Logo grips and a Charge Spoon saddle. Both are cheap and excellent. Leave enough in the budget for some good clothes also. When offroad sometimes it’s not just the bike that makes the whole thing enjoyable. Being comfortable and warm are also nice 🙂

hungryb
    Free Member

Hey thanks for the great response to my post. I sense a change in direction and have zoomed in on HT bikes now. I’ll keep an eye on Fleabay over the next few weeks. I popped into some well known bike shops in central london over the last couple of days and got just loads of conflicting opinions. Think I’ll go for a good 2nd hand bike. Then if I want to change, I’ll not loose that much dosh.

Thanks all

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Advice required for newbie heavy rider’ is closed to new replies.