Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • advice on using snow chains – cattle grids?
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Having been lent some snow chains after 2 weeks of rarely being able to get our van up to our house (steep ungritted mountain road in Snowdonia), we've now been able to drive up. Obviously we know they're good for snow, but there is a cattle grid part way down the road – is it OK to just drive over this with the chains on? Also, do the chains work on black ice as well as snow?

bear-uk
    Free Member

Never used them but they should be ok on the cattle grids, its not as if your on them for long. As for black ice I recon they will cut through it and find some grip below. Just go steady.

Flaperon

You might find they're exceptionally slippery on the cattlegrid, but can't conceive of them causing any image either to themselves or the grid.

donsimon
    Free Member

If they're fitted properly you should be ableto use them on the cattlegrid. They'll be fine one ice aswell if you keep your speed down.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I think you are higly likely to wreck your snow chains driving on a cattle grid!

Snow chains are intended for use only on a good bed of snow, all other surfaces will damage them including tarmac with black ice.

BigJohn

You'll be fine. I've used them on both front and rear wheel drive on a mix of surfaces from dep snow to dry tarmac.

When we were in Val Thorens I was going to walk to the chemist and get some paracetamol for Mrs BigJohn, but she said "why don't you go and have some fun car-sledging". In my 2 yr old BMW 5 series. T'was fun while it lasted (but had to call out BMW rescue when I got stuck on the ski slopes and get towed off)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘advice on using snow chains – cattle grids?’ is closed to new replies.