Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)
  • Advice on buying a mk4 Golf TDI
  • davetrave
    Free Member

BTW £2,400 seems a little steep (I paid £2k for mine with 99,000 miles a year or so ago), but shopping around will give you a good idea of the going rate.

+1. I got a 2002 PD150 Mk4 TDI 12 months ago, with 85k on the clock for the same price as you’re being asked for. Agreed the front can be a little shy to go round bends, especially when being hustled or in the wet, but that can be corrected with the right tyres (don’t get Pirelli P6000, they’re terrible – as soon as they wore I changed them for Bridgestone Turanzas). I’m used to the pin sharp handling of an Elise, as a weekend car, but with better tyres the Golf is now much better, with the 150bhp engine it can certainly shift for a diesel and averages 55mpg on the 500 mile cruise back up to Elgin.

Got mine for mainly long distance cruising, where the 6 speed box and cruise control come in handy, travelling between Nottingham and Elgin/Ambleside. Do your research on uk-mkivs.net first and make sure you get a decent test drive/check the car over and go in to the purchase expecting that, as with any older car, you’ll have to spend a few bob on maintenance…

That said, [kissofdeath]nothing’s gone wrong with mine in the last 12 months[/kissofdeath].

Viewing 41 post (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Advice on buying a mk4 Golf TDI’ is closed to new replies.