Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • How to propose.
  • highclimber
    Free Member

I’m going to propose to the missus on her birthday but I have never done it before so I have no idea what to do really. I mean, I know I need to get a ring and ask the question etc but I have no idea how to go about it.

any suggestions?

allthegear
    Free Member

If you’re going to do it, just do it. Now.

Ps. Good luck!!

Rachel

highclimber
    Free Member

If you’re going to do it, just do it. Now.

she is neither here at the moment nor is it her birthday yet!

nealglover
    Free Member

Just ring her up.

No fuss. Job done.

🙂

aa
    Free Member

point her to this thread!

Good luckk, i have no sensible suggestions to make. other than. Take her for a romantic meal at the seaside having earlier spelled out ‘will you marry me’, using rocks or something, on the beach.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Use your imagination you lazy mare! We don’t know her, you should know her implicitly therefore already know her dream proposal scenario. Do it that way!

Good luck

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ring not required unless she is old fashioned and sexist, in the end wait for her to ask you….

McHamish
    Free Member

Good idea to ask her Dad’s permission first…

legend
    Free Member

Easy. Go to alps, ask her to hold your bike while you get something out of your camelbak, kneel beside bike in standard fettling position, show her a ring (no, not that one!) when she’s expecting to see allen keys. Note: Make sure to propose to woman and not bike.

IMAG0005 by mark_p2511, on Flickr

legend
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    Just ring her up.

No fuss. Job done.

Step aside old man, txt msg ftw!

shinobi
    Free Member

Good on you.

I decided to incorporate a trip to New York with my proposal to the missus. After alot of thinking about where to do it, I finally decided to pop the question during a meal at the Marriot Times square. She was sipping her favourite Manhattan drink whilst revolving round the restuarant taking in the views of the new york sky line.

Other friends of mine decided to have an audience when they proposed but my wife would have hated that.

Best of luck

samuri
    Free Member

Get drunk
    Have sex
    Propose.

Nice one Legend. 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

Step aside old man, txt msg ftw!

It all different now…..
    ….I remember when all this was trees……. etc etc.

🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Text or Email?

Legend, that’s a good one!

A lass I knew went to Scotland with her B/F who was in the Royal Marines & they went up Ben Nevis, when they got to the top he went in his rucksack, pulled out a little box with a ring in & proposed. Ahhhhh…..
    She said yes so then he went into her rucksack & pulled out a bottle of plonk & 2 glasses that she’d unknowingly carried up the Ben.
    Moral of the story, Never let a Royal Marine pack your rucksack!

highclimber
    Free Member

ring not required unless she is old fashioned and sexist, in the end wait for her to ask you….

she’s neither though, I am quite poor and luckily she can’t wear gold so i’m not getting a traditional engagement ring. A haribo ring will suffice won’t it?

duntstick
    Free Member

My partner was partial to a drop of Champagne, so for her birthday I bought her a huge bottle of the good stuff. On the little card attached to the top I wrote “True happiness is to be found at the bottom of a bottle of Champers”
    Where I’d mounted a black velvet pad in the hollow with a sparkly ring stuck in the middle.
    A bit cheesey, but did the trick 🙂

Drac

Don’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also from what I have seen if your in doubt do in front of an audience and she wont dare say no….

Bunnyhop

Other friends of mine decided to have an audience when they proposed but my wife would have hated that.

This was what nbt intended when he proposed to me, luckily I was outside a bar and all our friends were inside, he gave up trying to drag me back into the noisy, crowed, smelly, hot place (it was New years eve) and proposed at the edge of the piste with a full moon, however had he done it in front of everyone I would have done a runner.

Anyway, your proposal depends on your partner and what type of person she is. A high maintenance girl is not going to want to be dragged kicking and screaming up Snowdon in her heels.

It’s something that will be a treasured memory forever so just do something special that you’ll both enjoy.

Ring not essential (I got an mtb instead).

Edit: full moon being in the sky and not his bottom 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Just change yer FB status…. :mrgreen:

jekkyl

Present most women with a sparkley jewel & some gold and she’s unlikely to say no. This is the real reason men give rings.

j3ffo
    Free Member

Ask her dad first (sign of a true man)
    Buy a nice ring. Go classic single diamond if you don’t know what she would like. Vintage works but more risky imo
    Do something nice with her, dinner, cocktails, nice walk or similar
    Deep breath, ask question, prey for right answer
    Celebrate

Good luck

swiss01
    Free Member

me, without resort to any sort of shiny thing, did this just last weekend. how do you feel about getting married i asked. she – somewhat silent. to me, i confirmed. that sounds good she said. job done.

highclimber
    Free Member

Just change yer FB status….

I’m not ‘in a relationship’, according to Facebook.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I got permission, bought the ring and then waited for the right weather.
    I fly hot air balloons for a living and the right weather didn’t appear at a convenient date, so I just got drunk at my sisters wedding and then asked her on the sofa when we got home…
    Moral of the story, don’t plan too much as it might not happen as you (or she – in her girlie fairy tale kind of way), had planned.
    All those that have asked while in my basket at work, have all had the correct response. However another balloon pilot in Oz, had a girl say “No”. Apparently it was the longest one hour flight of his life!

mogrim

Don’t ask her dad first, it’s her decision not his, and you’ll be endlessly reminded about this for the rest of your life.

sandal100

I wrote it in as bigger letters as possible in snow in the garden. Took her up to the top floor of the house and got her to open the curtains which had been pre shut. That worked quite well even though I forgot the question mark!

Wait until it snows again!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Don’t ask her dad first,

well unless her dad’s remarkably attractive and you have the hots for some pretty serious back door action, I wouldn’t ask him at all.

highclimber
    Free Member

Don’t ask her dad first, it’s her decision not his

I had no intention of asking her dad – we don’t live in the early 1900’s now.

Klunk
    Free Member

by the time she comes round it’s all too late 😉

kayak23

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doYfH-CSfp4[/video]

crispo
    Free Member

I didn’t ask her dad but I did tell him before hand. It’s not like your asking him if you can marry her it’s telling him you intend to ask her! Don’t think there’s anything wrong about showing him a bit that respect. But then I do get on very well with him anyway and it was whilst we were on a night ride anyway!

I did it on our 4 yeah anniversary of going out. We were on a long weekend away in Boston (USA not Lincolnshire) and had a lovely morning with champagne brunch (after we went to church at the cathedral – which I never usually do!) and then popped the question in the Boston Common on a lovely cold and clear winters day.

I risked it and had picked the ring before hand and it went down an absolute storm. Guess I’m a bit of a traditionalist really!

tomhoward

Get drunk
    Have sex
    Propose.

Did that 10 years ago, she was my gf at the time, not just a random…

We never married strangely

joshbosh12
    Free Member

I did it under the Eiffel Tower whilst it was sparkling! I can now do no wrong… 😉

PiknMix
    Free Member

My wife to be is her dads world so I thought it best to just ask (seeing as we had only been dating for a few weeks) moved in after the first date, proposed before the first month.
    What could possibly go wrong?

alfabus
    Free Member

Asked at the highest point in les arcs on a snowboarding trip. Had a bottle of champagne on ice back at the chalet.

Didn’t have a ring… We shopped for that together when we got home.

Dave

Basil

Don’t buy a ring. Ask her and then go shopping for the ring (jewelry quarter Birmingham) Women tend to like to pick the ring they are going to wear for the rest of their life.
    Put some work into proposing. You are going to recount the story of proposing a lot, a story along the lines of we finished the chinese and I popped the question for example wears a bit thin after you have recounted it to all your relatives, friends ,her friend etc.
    Have fun, getting married has been the best thing I ever did.

legend
    Free Member

On the ring note, I got some cheap bit shiny so that I had something to propose with and she had something to wear till we got home. At which point we went shopping for the proper one, ending up with a pretty awesum bespoke (and pricey) little number.

Different strokes for different folks of course!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hide ring in toolbox. Ask her to get an allen key out of said toolbox whilst you’re fixing her mums bike. Ask her again because obviously a ring box in a toolbox is a normal thing to see. She twigs, breaks down and says yes leading to 10 years and counting of ‘time’.

LsD
    Free Member

Knife/Van/John Wayne Gacy mask.
    BO-t’th’muzzafuzzin-OSH!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘How to propose.’ is closed to new replies.