Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Advice needed on silicon spray lube for forks.
  • mrbump
    Free Member

Hi.I have been using Fork Juice to lube my stanchions after cleaning and it works well.I beleive it is a silcon spray like the Fenswick silicon fork lube.
    I can get silicon spray for lubing push fit plumbing pipes for free from work. I would think it would the same job, and not cause any damage, but i would like to hear any opinions before before i spray this stuff over my expensive forks.

RealMan
    Free Member

Compare the ingredients maybe? Try it on your mates forks first?

mrbump
    Free Member

there are no ingredients on either. the plumbing lube just says its safe to use on all plastics.

mrbump
    Free Member

good idea about using it on a friend first, but i’m thinking it will be prolonged use that would show up negative effects.
    i will try it on a friend bike first though 😈

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve used GT85 and B&Q silicon spray on my forks – both work just as well and don’t seem to do any harm. If it’s dusty you’ll need to wipe the seals after you ride though.

mrbump
    Free Member

GT85 is not good for forks because it has a solvent in it that breaks down oils and it also has teflon in it that can damage the internals of some forks.

lipseal
    Free Member

You should have a COSH sheet for the spray, that should tell you what’s in it.

steezysix
    Free Member

^ Think I’ll stop using it then! Thanks!

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve been using silicone spray for years and it does work okay but I think from now on I am going to use fork oil as I have just started servicing my own forks so now have all the oils. In future I might recycle the 100ml of 5wt that came out of my damper unit for job as it’s a bit lighter than the 15wt in the oil baths and it shouldnt get down into the oil bath. Saves throwing it away but as I the oil I have just removed is a different make to what i have just put in I will just use some fresh stuff until the next service.

mrbump
    Free Member

i find that using fork oil attracts dust and dirt. the silicon spray help to stop dirt sticking.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed on silicon spray lube for forks.’ is closed to new replies.