Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Advice needed …. New car tyres …..
  • letmetalktomark

I put a post up about this time last year asking for similar advice.

Outcome last year was that I went with a pair of Michelin Sport Pilot 3 (225/45 17) for the front of my Honda Civic diesel.

After about 13k I am in the same situation 😕

Not going to ask the tyre life question as so many variables need to be considered ……

Any suggestions as to whether it’s worth trying a new tyre? Seems prices have crept up as last year. I paid £106 a tyre back then but looking like needing to spend £125ish for the same now.

Sooo …..

Help!

br
    Free Member

13k for Michelins on a diesel Civic… 😳

Spin them a bit do you?

Even my petrol FWD company cars’ managed more than that, and I paid for neither the fuel nor the tyres.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Hmm, i have a set of those on my Golf(2.0TDI) and they went just over 35K. Trouble with the Civic diesel (i assume its the 2.2) is it does chuck out a whole load of tourqe and will munch tyres no matter what you put on them. Get a garage to check the tracking and front suspension firstly -if all ok Goodyear eagles arent too bad but 13K on the Goodyears doesnt seem right to me….
    Just a hint – with high powered diesel cars accelerating hard coming out of corners and turning out of corners is a surefire way to reduce their lifespan…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    letmetalktomark

Duly noted on the driving style – car isn’t punished at all.

All is tip top up front and tyres are always kept at correct psi.

@ br – no spinning. Hardly ever see the traction control light come on. It is quite torquey …… 😕

It’s tbc but I reckon there is 2.6 – 3mm still to go based on the wear line steps sat at 1.6mm.

thv3
    Free Member

Another Civic 2.2 CDTi owner here, got about 18000 out of a set of Conti’s on the front of mine before replacement. Previously would fit Michelin by preference, but they were extortionate when I was last shopping around.

Same as you I don’t abuse it and the TC light only ever comes on in the snow/ice. Hopefully someone will come up up with an equivalent 35000 mile tyre as above!

supertramp
    Free Member

I would got in touch with Michelin, they have pretty good mileage warranty!

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/limited_mileage_warranties.pdf

letmetalktomark

That’s a little more reassuring thv3. I still may get 15k.

@supertramp – excellent link. I guess it’s a long shot but that link does show 20k against my tyres.

Edit >> seems the small print points maybe 10k and 20k if rotated 😕

Still worth a polite email ….

mboy
    Free Member

With the current weather and road conditions, maybe consider a set of winter tyres for the front at least?

But for general all round driving, plenty of choice out there that will represent better vfm than the michelins. Of course you could get some hard as nails plastic Chinese tyres that will last 50k miles and cost £50 apiece, but in the meantime you’ve probably slid off the road and written the car off. There are lots of good midrange tyres though, mainly cheaper than Conti or Michelin just cos of lack of big name. Some are crap, but look out for the likes of Falken, Kumho, Hankook, Kleber and a few others I can’t think of right now.

Personally I’ve used loads of different makes, I reckon pronanly the best tyres I used in terms of all round performance, combination of grip and longevity, were some Falken ZE912’s. Cost about £65 each in 225/45/17 and were easily as grippy as the goodyears they replaced, and lasted longer too. Toyo and Yokohama make great tyres also, really grippy but they can wear a bit quick. Still much cheaper than Michelins though.

petrieboy

Wife’s zafira (150bhp diesel) came with pilot sports in that exact size. I put 30k on before the fronts hit the wear indicators. Only got 12k out of the Bridgestone potenzas that replaced them. Rears are still on and look brand new (at least 42k on them now)
    Cars used on a good mix of fast roads and around the villages. Not driven on its door handles, but not super smooth either. Oh, and the alloys on that car are a bit porous so the pressure is often sub optimal
    Based on that, I’d say there’s either something wrong with the tyres, the car, or the way you drive it.

simon_g

Before it was stolen, I had Kumho Ecsta KU31s on my Civic. They were past 20k miles and still about 5mm left. Quieter and grippier than whatever was on there before.

petrieboy

Ku31’s wore nice and evenly on my A4 Tdi which tends to scrub the inside edges of inferior rubber. To early to say if the kh15’s on the from of the zafira will wear well, but they certainly grip fine

LenHankie
    Free Member

I went with Avon ZZ3s in 235/45 R17 on my A4 TDi. £105 per tyre and doing nicely so far. Bought through National Tyres on Ebay, so good for using up any PayPal balance that you’ve accrued through selling off a shedful of old bikey bits.

I figured Avon was British and that they were good enough for 70s F1 cars so should be good enough for me! No discernable difference in terms of performance between them and the Dunlop SP Sports that they replaced.

TheFlyingOx

I got 13,000+ miles out of a pair of Toyo Proxes T1-R on the back of my old MR2 before I killed it, and that is a car that is seriously unkind on rear tyres. Very decent grip, and cheap – £75 a tyre when I last looked.

Marge
    Free Member

I would got in touch with Michelin, they have pretty good mileage warranty!

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/Approved/Michelin/Visuals/Digital/limited_mileage_warranties.pdf

That is valid for North American tires, which are very different to European…
    In the States mileage is king.
    All major tire manufacturers have a mileage warranty scheme.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Advice needed …. New car tyres …..’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts