• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Advice, 29r build question…….
  • ton

when i bought my ventana 29r, i built it up pretty robustly.
    i have now bought a hardtail to built in the same guise.

question is this, if i built my ventana up alot lighter with lighter wheels, components and tyres to use for longer quicker rides will it be ok.
    how much does suspension protect things like wheels and parts.

hope someone will understand what i mean. 😀

Kramer
    Free Member

Doesn’t it depend on how heavy you ride?

ton

i am very heavy butdo not ride so.
    what i mean is, if you wack a rear wheel on a h/tail you will puncture, on a sus it seems you get away with a bit more.
    bars, stems, posts must get a easier time on a sus where they are somewhat cushioned…no

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ive just built up a flimsy, quite light ti 29er for xc. I’m quite heavy and go at stuff like a bull in a china shop and I can feel that its not my bullit or yeti underneath me. You just have to remember what your riding. I’m sure I could break it if I tried. If you want to ride it hard, build it hard or gently does it.

bonesetter
    Free Member

What HT you bought?

Kramer
    Free Member

ton, yes I see what you mean, however on a full suss, you’re likely to be going faster at the time, therefore greater forces.

ton

bonesetter

chumba hx2, just need some suitable forks now…… 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

I’ve always thought you should build a HT with stronger components, esp wheels

bonesetter
    Free Member

Ton, I’ve put those forks on the bay as I hadn’t heard from you

Chumba Gooood

ton

no worries mate.
    i was gonna have them, but i need lockout to be honest…

bonesetter
    Free Member

When these forks are set up correctly Bob is left at home

Sam

Agree with Kramer – while I understand your reasoning I think a FS will tend to encourage you to go at stuff harder. That said I rode a very lightly built up Ventana El Cap (around 22lbs) and it was amazing. Even made me consider doing an FS frame at some point in the future…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Advice, 29r build question…….’ is closed to new replies.