Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Riding skinnies
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Does anyone else have a complete loss of balance when trying to ride skinnies? I tried to ride along a log, planed off on top to a width of 6 inches or so and no longer than 12 foot. It was like riding whilst p***ed!

jedi

keep your weight over your stem and bend knees to keep center of gravity low and dont take full pedal strokes just tap along

geoffj

Jedi – show us some of your pictures riding / jumping skinnies, they always make me think WTF 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jedi

urm…. loads here me

jedi
    geoffj

Cheers Jedi. Very impressive.

jedi

its easier than it looks

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Respect due Jedi! 😮 That is one impressive bit of video. I guess whipping my SPDs off and putting my flats on could be a step in the right direction, but cheers for the other tips

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS I’m guessing the Jedi moniker and your impressive Ewok village are not coincidence

jedi

eh??

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

as the jedi master says

weight forwards and low, NEVER look at your front wheel, you need to look where you are going not where you are. practice

and loosing the spds will help prevent injury

learn to jump off the bike to both sides and land on both feet

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

The most important thing is to look ahead as opposed to down. Once you get used to that idea, weight distribution and pedal position become less important.

jedi

err no. not on skinnies (4 inches or less is a skinny)
    weight forward through the bars/forks as i said.holds the bars stable and stops the steering reflex as you lean to balance not steer

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

3″ tyres help 😉

jedi

2.7 actually and they didnt help you did they lol 🙂 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

jedi
    err no. not on skinnies (4 inches or less is a skinny)

Ah I see, I was thinking between 4 and 8 inches approx, under 4 inches would be different matter.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

3.1 on the back 🙂

down to 2.7 and 2.5 now anyway and skinnies is the only thing i CAN do lol

jedi

oooh new skills, you need to come show me 🙂

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

my skills seem to stay in the back on johnny’s van when he drops us at the airport

jedi

im the opposite

BearBack
    Free Member

weight forward through the bars/forks as i said.holds the bars stable and stops the steering reflex as you lean to balance not steer

Basically this gives you a bend in the elbow which absorbs any lean induced steering. Sitting back on the bike or with straight arms means any body movement results in steering action – probably the ‘drunk’ .

Look off the end of the feature too.. looking ahead – just like you should be when riding along on any trail.

Anywho, in addition to simply agreeing with the advice above… ride repeat, ride repeat.
    Once you begin to get confident, you’ll be manualling along them in no time ;).

jedi

manual a 4″ skinny is fookin hard

jedi

where in the uk are you?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Leek in Staffordshire. There’s not north shore up (down!) here (that I’m aware of) but to be honest until I can ride along a log without falling off I don’t see much point in trying to ride “proper” skinnies like in your vid. I think these tips are really going to work…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

oh and I’d love to be able to manual too, but need to remember how to wheelie first I guess 😀

jedi

thought id offer you a herts tutorial

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer. Believe me I’m at that stage where I do need to get out riding with someone better than me. I’m quite pleased with my fitness but do want some more “skillz”. I know I need to get out and practice practice practice but with 2 young kiddie-winkies I’m not blessed with free time.

Any Jedi Masters in Staffs?

scruff
    Free Member

No we have proper trails in Staffs :-0

jedi

pmsl

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Riding skinnies’ is closed to new replies.