Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Adjustable seatposts & 27.2mm frames
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

thanks to the time travelling aspects of google i thought rather than start a new thread I’d get this resurrected.

amedias how is your i7 getting on?

There doesnt seem to be much competition in the 27.2 size, and if the GD is, as the reviews suggest, limited in its choice of position rather than infinitely variable then that rules it out for me.

As an aside for non-27.2 readers, I owned a 30.9 Joplin which had the much reported rotational play from new. I bought MC a 31.6 from the same place (CRC) and it has no play. Serviced them both and the 30.9 has one key on the inner shaft running in one keyway in the lower tube, the 31.6 has 2 running in 2. MC has just got a 30.9 lower tube to allow her to use it in a different bike (thanks vinnyeh 8), and it too has only one keyway. Wonder if there is any engineering reason why they cant make the 30.9 with 2 keys and eliminate the play? Is it the 30.9 that has caused the reputation?

snowslave

I’ve had the ks850 – it’s died. I’d agree with the negative comments about the non remote option. I found getting the seat to drop by bouncing my arse up and down on it with one hand gripping a lever next to my crotch caused interesting expressions in populated areas, and when doing it on technical terrain it was v difficult. I’d go for the remote option in future

Stuey01
    Free Member

Just ordered a Hilo Fusion from actionsports.de in 27.2mm, non-remote flavour.

When it gets here I’ll let you know what I think. I couldn’t find many reviews, apparently there is one in Singletrack magazine this month that is favourable but I haven’t read it. I took a punt cos of the price, 139eur.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Well the x-fusion Hilo has arrived after a short hiatus at my neighbours house, who signed for it then weren’t in for two days (grrr).

First impressions:
    1) it’s a very smart looking bit of kit. Black with red anodising on the lever, seatclamp and the top of the outer tube, lucky it matches the red I have elsewhere on the bike.
    2) there is absolutely no play or slop in it.
    3) You really do need to use fibre grip on the seatclamp cones, and do it up tight, otherwise if you sit slightly too far back and drop the seat it will end up pointing upwards.
    4) the action is pretty smooth and it will stop anywhere in the travel (as advertised).
    5) after being at full extension for a while if you push it down, but off-centre, there is a bit of stiction and squeaking. Put it back up then down again, pushing in the same place this is not evident. Doesn’t seem to happen whilst seated on it, only when pushing by hand so probably won’t be evident in proper use.
    6) It’s pretty light. I confess I forgot to weigh it before fitting. If I remember I’ll do it later.

Haven’t been on a ride with it yet, and have no other adjustable seatposts to compare it to, so these are just my rambling first impressions. So far I’m impressed. Will report further when I have ridden with it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

this was the summary of the test of the HiLo

“We can’t fault the function of the X-Fusion HiLo – twin brass rails keep play to a minimum, it’s available in the three key sizes and it’s cheaper than the competition. In fact, the only drawback with the HiLo is that the steel upper tube pumps the weight up”

packer
    Free Member

On the MTBR forum someone has put up a photo of the hilo on some scales along with the handlebar remote and the cable and it weighed exactly 600g

Stuey01
    Free Member

Is that heavy for an adjustable seatpost?
    I think a Thomson is somewhere around 300g, an extra 300g for the adjustable functionality is a trade off I think will be worth it.
    My bike and I are no lightweights to begin with.

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Gravity Dropper with remote come in around 470g for the Turbo version, bit heavier for the Classic version.

The next lightest post, which is also the best IMO (having owned and used extensively the Joplin and the GD), is the Rock Shox Reverb. The 330mm version comes in at 520g, the longer one at 550g.

Absolutely agree with you Stuey that that is more than an acceptable price to pay for what it allows you to do. I’d have one at 600g in a heart beat if that’s all there was.

packer
    Free Member

The X-Fusion is the heaviest dropper post out there as far as I know, but as you say it is not that much heavier than the competition.

VanHalen

what sort of length do you get from min insertion to seatclamp at full extension. are they near 400mm? or is that just WAAAAY too optimistic for an adjustable post?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

X-fusion Hilo is around 420mm from tip to rails and has 10cm of minimun insertion. Even on my short seat-tubed Orange, I have 18cm of post permanently inserted into the frame.

The weight penalty will, I guarantee, be forgiven and forgotten after/during the first ride. What a fooking brilliant idea – best money I ever spent on my bike.

GEDA
    Free Member

I just got a HiLo. Works well. I would recommend getting the none remote though as the remote is a really rip off for what is basically a gear cable with a push button switch.

Anyway I am not totally sold on uppy downy seat posts. A bit like tubeless tyres or 10 speed gears or the latest suspension tuning. (Gizmos but not that revolutionary) I ride in the woods with my seat quite low anyway so it does not make so much difference. I bike standing up a lot so maybe get a bit fitter and don’t sit on your arse all the time then you don’t need a heavy uppy downy seat post.

I do admit that I am not totally used to the best way to use it as it is either too low or too high. I just like it in the middle.

amedias
    Free Member

holy thread resurrection batman!

I’d completely forgotten I even posted about this….

to answer your question, I did get on very well with my 27.2 i7, until a trip to Afan in a few weeks back, at which point it crapped out on me half way round w2, it started by not dropping all the way, then on one descent totally let go and the saddel and top shaft would spin freely anti-clockwise – made for a rather *interesting* final 15k…

if i tipped it upside down and gave it a shake it rattled and you could hear one of the rollers, if you did it just right it kind of fell back into place inside and would work normally again for 5 mins, then went all spinny again.

Sent it back to superstar for repair, hopefully will be all OK again but was a bit gutted as until that point I had nothing but good words to say!

matt

IainAhh
    Free Member

Three Fish

What have you got over the top of the seat post.
    A chainstay cover?
    Does that work well and keep the dirt out?

karl1824
    Free Member

Any update on this thread, how does the I7 perform longer term?

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Adjustable seatposts & 27.2mm frames’ is closed to new replies.