Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Adds a little perspective..
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Currently having some work done on the house.
    Roof being stripped off, new felt/membrane laid + new insulation and tiles relaid.
    Chimney rebuilt, sealed, leaded and proofed with some sort of tiled side affair.
    Two side and one gable end stripped of several layers of exterior paint and taken back to bare brick.
    Walls flat rendered and painted.
    Included in the price is the hire of the full scaffolding rig and paint removing tool.

Total cost £5’500.

That’s the price of a top-end bike nowadays, yet i’ve a crew of 2/3 blokes working on my house in freezing weather for that.

Does make me think that the bike market has lost it’s way somewhat – and i’ve 4 bikes sat in the kitchen!

piemonster

1st world guilt

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cash in hand? 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

All of my bikes together come to that sort of sum, can’t see myself ever spending £5K on a bike, but i sadi that years ago about spending £2K…

v8ninety

£5,500 is a bomb for a pushbike tho, I’d have to have a STACK of disposable income, AND be in my perfect home to be able to justify that!

Actually, still don’t think I could.

molgrips
    Free Member

Remember your bikes last years (or should do) – they will be going onto another job, and another, hopefully.

slackalice
    Free Member

Not knowing the size of your roof/walls/chimney etc, but that sounds like remarkable value for money for that amount of labour intensive work. Not to mention the materials for tile hanging, cleaning up chimney bricks to re-lay, lead trays (have you seen the price??!!!),paint stripping, rendering….

Well done

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It’s only a little house 🙂

End terrace of what used to be a coaching house set-up, what is now my house was originally the blacksmiths workshop and forge.

Original price was £4’300 for the chimney and walls. When i mentioned i’d had a few slates shift and fall in the recent high winds he quoted another £1000 to do the roof if i had it done whilst the scaffolding was up for the original job, otherwise it would be a lot more expensive if they came back another time, so obviously i took that option.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not knowing the size of your roof/walls/chimney etc, but that sounds like remarkable value for money for that amount of labour intensive work

And some!

I paid about £7500 for…

Roof being stripped off, new felt/membrane laid + new insulation and tiles relaid.
    Chimney rebuilt, sealed, leaded and proofed with some sort of tiled side affair. taken down and hole slated over.
    Two side and one gable end stripped of several layers of exterior paint it’s render and taken back to bare brick.
    Wall flat rendered roughcast and painted.
    Included in the price is the hire of the full scaffolding rig and paint removing tool.

Plus a further £4500 for extraction of cavity wall insulation from the whole house.

MSP

A roof A BLOODY ROOF! I wish I could afford a roof over my head, instead I have to make do with a pirates hat made out of a sheet of newspaper (the metro, no la de dah fancy pants telegraph or guardian here).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sheet o’ newspaper?

LUXURY!

37 of us, living in ‘t shoebox in ‘t middle of ‘t road….

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Work is being done because i have some damp problems. Chimney is leaking and the wall is a solid two-brick wall, no cavity. The water ingress has soaked into the gable end and is moving laterally onto the inside face, causing a bit of mould and damp patches.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Cardboard box ?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

You think youve got it bad, I had to move back into my mums, she 60 odd tho now so not as cramped as when I moved out..

thegreatape
    Free Member

Has she shrunk?

You are George with your Marvellous Medicine and I claim my £5.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Shoebox?!?

I’m considering switching off power to the wing mirrors. 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m considering switching off power to the wing mirrors.

We’re all in this together, DD.

😉

Kryton57

We’re all in this together, DD.

Indeed, I’ve altered the daylight sensor on the garden lights so they come on 1/2 hour later to save ‘lectric.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Adds a little perspective..’ is closed to new replies.