• This topic has 84 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • "Action Against Time Thieves" – Noel Edmonds content
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

The main benefit seems to be reducing congestion, one car providing numerous journeys rather than one car per journey

Dont get me wrong research can convince me but I do require more than an assertion here. It just seems to be [a priori] the case that the taxi does more miles than a car for a LARGE percentage of journeys. I am at home I get in my car or I call a taxi. It drives to my house, drives me somehwere else and then drives somewhere else again. How does this help congestion? I realise this is not all taxi journeys but surely enough to negate any benefit?

Yeah Grumm Noel Edmonds is still a d1ck

Junkyard
    Free Member

Double post

allthepies
    Free Member

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Junkyard,

The theory is that most taxi's either wait at, for example, the railway station thus encouraging train use or pick up at A, drive to B, radio in, get a job near B to go to C, job near C going to D, then another from D to A.

Also I think the congestion reduction comments I read were about parking congestion, which may or may not lead to traffic jams.

Not a lot of research seems to have been published, although local governments around the world may have done their own studies.

I would like to think that those charged with improving transport and reducing traffic would actually research for solutions – but I may be deluding myself.

hora
    Free Member

I would like to think that those charged with improving transport and reducing traffic would actually research for solutions – but I may be deluding myself.

Agree but they always seem to either cherry-pick or lean on an agenda..Manchester congestion charge 'it will create more jobs'.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘"Action Against Time Thieves" – Noel Edmonds content’ is closed to new replies.