• This topic has 84 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • "Action Against Time Thieves" – Noel Edmonds content
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

yes what benefit [to society/environment}is there in me leaving my car at home in order to catch another car?

Ah, now, let me see ……..this is a tricky one.

How about……………you're more likely to catch a train if you can jump in a taxi at the other end ?

Or, how about the fact that you won't have to leave your car stationary somewhere for hours,
    leaving roads and parking spaces clearer for others ?

hora
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – taxis have their uses:

to get the children to school for parents* on benefits (Rochdale)
    To create 10 speed cameras with a 0.5mile stretch. Thank you to the taxi driver who finally pushed the council into overaction (Wakefield Rd, Huddersfield)

..and of course, lets not forget the councillors/MP's/council depts who need to get about (various councils)

*Disabled and old people can afford taxis? You know how much they cost dont you? I imagine you dont mean OAP's who live on the state pension.

*Sickness benefit claimants.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Disabled and old people can afford taxis?

Why are you assuming disabled people are poor ?

And do you have to hand over all your money when you become old ?

MrAgreeable

Hora, you are a recruitment consultant.

Your right to pronounce moral judgment on taxi drivers, council employees or people who aren't able-bodied enough to drive is decidedly suspect, to say the least.

Of course, when you spend all your free time on here looking for people to verbally abuse you for posting nonsense, it's quite easy for your worldview to become somewhat narrow.

hora
    Free Member

Why are you assuming disabled people are poor ?

You did see the little astrix in there didnt you? 🙄

duntmatter
    Free Member

A campaign against people who waste time seems more sensible the longer this thread goes on. Edmonds is a bellend though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – you are a plonker.

Taxis are used by disabled folk a lot in Edinburgh – partly because the council pays a large % for 104 journeys a year.

Equality of opportunity its called

hora
    Free Member

TJ, you also read where the astrixs was placed? Please reread and amend your post.

goon
    Free Member

You did see the little astrix in there didnt you?

Asterix.

An asterisk, yesterday.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TJ, you also read where the astrixs was placed? Please reread and amend your post.

If sickness benefit claimants can't afford to use taxis, why shouldn't disabled people be allowed to use them
    ……. what sort of twisted logic is that ffs ?

I suggest that you amend your post.

hora
    Free Member

ernie_lynch. Do you actually read posts or skim through? Anyway the astrix/mention- I recenty read an article about the amount of children delivered to the school gates in Rochdale by parents in taxi's. The story highlighted the amount of sickness benefit claimants in the area and the allowance which included taxi rides. In most cases the taxi rides were short and the question was raised why this benefit should be included.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Your post makes no sense to me except you appear to be saying that disabled people ( and others) shouldn't be able to afford taxis.

In Edinburgh a part of the taxi service is used as a public service

hora
    Free Member

In Edinburgh a part of the taxi service is used as a public service

You mention 104 journeys a year? Question- why that figure, how was it arrived at?

trailmonkey

The 'action against time thieves' sign on Edmonds' cab is a reference to his campaign against people who waste his time

What goes around comes around Edmonds. I watched his house party once and that's 60 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Tidy bearded twunt.

hora
    Free Member

Seeing as you went on the attack- my points were isolated to 'taxi's and their uses. My point on OAP still stand. How can OAP's living on the state pension afford to ride around in taxi's? WHY should taxi's be allowed to use bus lanes. What makes taxis so special?

If the bus is going down the same route, surely hopping on a bus is easier for everyone? The only place for taxi's IMO is the pissup express, trips to and from the airport and when your incapacitated from travelling under your own steam.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ernie_lynch. Do you actually read posts or skim through?

Well like TJ, I struggled to make any sense of your post, but after forcing myself to read it again, I have come to the conclusion you are claiming that taxi drivers shouldn't be allowed to use bus lanes on the grounds that, their passengers are all work-shy layabouts who are falsely claiming 'sickness benefit'.

Where do you get all this bollox from mate……… have you been reading Richard Littlejohn ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – 104 journeys is a return journey a week for a year – ie you can get your weekly shopping.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2683040/TV-star-Mr-Blobbys-theme-park-cottage-is-in-ruins.html

It was amazing wandering round Mr Blobby's house. What a shame it has been completely wrecked.

"These ravers should have more respect for Mr Blobby. He was a hero to many kids.

hora
    Free Member

Where do you get all this bollox from mate……… have you been reading Richard Littlejohn ?

Dunno, I dont tend to take internet forums seriously enough do I? 😐

MrAgreeable

I see the "it's only an internet forum" excuse-bleat has been wheeled out.

There are some trolls on here who do a pretty good job of winding up the uptight people about completely unimportant matters, like whether your bike has gears or goes bouncy at both ends.

You on the other hand won't be taken seriously for a minute by anyone who knows your illustrious history, so you have to resort to posting crass generalisations about disabled people.

You might get a response, but don't confuse that with people being interested in what you have to say.

hora
    Free Member

I'm like (hopefully) most on here; Half tickled, half-bothered, half-interested and thoroughly bored.

In a pub I wouldnt call someone a cock or **** halfway through a conversation and if someone took someone seriously on here – like the other day posting up photos as proof they were at a agreed meeting spot for a fight- WHAT THE ****?

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is just more of the this is not real argument. In which case should I insult you, your partner , Bingo or your child to be? I am fairly sure that if I stooped low enough I could offend you enough for you to take it seriously.
    Basically, Hora, if it is not in your head * it is the real world. You know others can see this dont you?

* most of what you say would be better kept in your head.

hora
    Free Member

most of what you say would be better kept in your head.

The majority of what people say on here would be better kept to themselves if you want to get down to it.

What makes it an interesting place is the inhibition.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Do you talk epically ill-thought-out nonsense in the pub, or are you more lucid there? 🙂

hora
    Free Member

BD the more I drink the more sense and depth arrives into my vocabulary.
    Well, unless its Jack Daniels- then I want to kiss bouncers, call queues of people a bunch of puffs, wave my cock at people and shout wahey!… oh that stuff is evil incarnated.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How amusing this whole thread is

porterclough
    Free Member

How about……………you're more likely to catch a train if you can jump in a taxi at the other end ?

Or, how about the fact that you won't have to leave your car stationary somewhere for hours,
    leaving roads and parking spaces clearer for others ?

Yes, much better a taxi driving round in circles trying to score a fare and spewing out diesel fumes than a car parked in the station car park. Yes I see that now.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @ porterclough !

It's a fact that using a taxi instead of driving into town reduces congestion and pollution.
    That's why LAs do what they can to encourage their use 😀

hora
    Free Member

It's a fact that using a taxi instead of driving into town reduces congestion and pollution.

Surely that isnt true? Having say 100 cars loitering around the centre of any town at any one time thinking it is their road, ignoring basic roadcraft principles and in some cases excessive speed. Surely walking around town, catching a bus or shock- cycling would be better?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Surely walking around town, catching a bus or shock- cycling would be better?

The question was car v taxi Hora. Not walking/catching a bus/cycling v taxi. Pay attention mate.

And yes, leaving your car at home and catching a taxi at the other end is better.

That's why LAs encourage the use of taxis. Despite your bizarre belief that's it's all a strange conspiracy to help work-shy layabouts who are falsely claiming sickness benefit.

hora
    Free Member

And yes, leaving your car at home and catching a taxi at the other end is better.

Why?

Junkyard
    Free Member

hora makes an excellent point shocker
    why is a journey in a taxi car better than a journey in a privately owned car?
    Surely the fact that after the journey the taxi returns to the same staring point [the station say] makes it worse?
    Can we have a peer review/research paper to back this up. .

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yeah, I can't figure out why all those people getting into taxis at Victoria station don't just drive into town.
    Obviously that would reduce congestion and pollution.

A very good point indeed hora.

porterclough
    Free Member

ernie – we're still confused, you're going to have to spell it out for us. how can a taxi going both ways twice be better? and that's without them sitting in ranks with the engine on or driving around aimlessly looking for fares.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How about the people getting in the taxi at the station, only need to use teh taxi for a small part of their journey to a specific destination, hardly worth driving into the big town as Ernie says.

Taxis also run when the tubes & buses don't.

Taxis (well proper licensed ones) offer lone women a safer journey home rather than having to get on the last bus with the weirdo stalker

Junkyard
    Free Member

ernie your claim seems to be taxi's only give lifts at train stations and enable the user to use the train rather than the car hence they are better… apoint you repeat without any eveidence.
    Therefore can you prove that the majority of taxi journeys are from train stations to another place?
    It seems to be to be a fairly tenous claim.
    Taxi ranks are located throughout towns and are not consigned to train stations. Private taxis need to be booked and I assume they account for a huge amount of taxi journeys.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

a point you repeat without any evidence.

That's because I'm talking complete bollox.

The truth is, that local authorities up and down the country only let taxis use bus lanes because they want to help work-shy layabouts who are falsely claiming sickness benefit.

And all the research, surveys,and censuses, by local authorities and governments, shows this to be the case.
    It has nothing at all to do with the fact that encouraging people to use taxis reduces congestion.

That is the truth, I didn't want to admit it …………… but you forced it out of me 😐

Junkyard
    Free Member

wow ernie sarcasm or post the f@cking research.
    How you surprsied me with your choice 🙄

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Some studies have shown a small environmental effect from taxi useage compared to car useage.

The main benefit seems to be reducing congestion, one car providing numerous journeys rather than one car per journey.

This can have a knock on effect of reducing jams so reducing pollution.

grumm
    Free Member

Back to the subject of noel edmonds being a whopper – did anyone see his scary rant on Noel's HQ?

Quite a funny Charlie Brooker article about it.

Noel's HQ – Noel's Party Headquarters, if you like – is the strangest programme on TV. A live Saturday night "shiny floor" show with conspicuous altruism at its core, it's essentially a cross between That's Life, Surprise Surprise, and some unmade episode of I'm Alan Partridge in which Alan snaps and runs into traffic with his shirt off, smashing windscreens with a cricket bat.

About 90% of it consists of Noel Edmonds introducing members of the public who've suffered tragedies, or set up charitable trusts, or both – and then doing nice things for them. Last week, two charming old ladies who'd established a children's charity were whisked away to the Strictly Come Dancing live tour and left with huge grins on their faces. Nice people being rewarded for niceness: only a shit could find fault with that.

It's the remaining 10% that's troublesome: specifically the bits where Noel shouts about petty-minded local councils, and the studio audience cheers or boos and waves union flags and the whole thing starts to resemble a disturbing political rally.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/feb/14/noels-hq-television-charlie-brooker

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘"Action Against Time Thieves" – Noel Edmonds content’ is closed to new replies.