Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Accident at the Lecht
  • matt_outandabout

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21434338

Not good. Some of our staff are there helping out. 😕

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Not good. Wonder how 6 people were injured?
    When it derailed then it will stop abruptly and people getting on could be hit by the approaching empty chair swinging violently. Everyone on the chair should have been fine(edit: fingers crossed safety bars were all down) and although a traumatic experience they probably got harnessed in and lowered off the chairs, a long and drawn out process which maybe resulted in mild hypothermia depending on the conditions.

Support goes out to everyone involved and those in the operation to get people back on the ground and into the warmth.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Was up around there on Saturday for a ski tour.

I wonder if they were running it at the extremes of it’s tolerance for windy conditions. It was pretty gusty wind mid afternoon on the coast up here. I worked on the lifts at Nevis range and we would sometimes push the boundaries on windy days, but would always have a staff member observing the behaviour of the line at critical observation points to report back to the engineers whether a lift was “running in” or “running out” at various towers.
    Hope all concerned are not too poorly.

whattyre
    Free Member

All our ski patrol guys left glenshee( I’m working ATM here) went to help retrieve casualties …we also saw 2 rescue choppers heading north…not good,hope all the injuries aren’t serious..

patriotpro
    Free Member

Hell, that must have been terrifying for those concerned. 🙁

matt_outandabout

I have colleagues there – limbs and broken back(s). A family as well…

jojoA1
    Free Member

Oh, nightmare, Matt. Sorry to hear that. Hope they recover ok.

matt_outandabout

Some better news from hospital than expected apparently.

whattyre
    Free Member

Hope the news is favourable Matt….awful accident

the_lecht_rocks

Blimey ! Bad news all round 🙁

epicsteve
    Free Member

Heard it on the news earlier – not good.

edlong
    Free Member

I worked on the lifts at Nevis range and we would sometimes push the boundaries on windy days

😯

That’s something I wish I didn’t know. I won’t be sharing this news with my other half. She hates the things already.

jojoA1
    Free Member

It wasin the early 90s I worked there. They’ve had a proper nasty accident since then. Procedures are probably very different as a result.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Accident at the Lecht’ is closed to new replies.