Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Abinger Hatch, Surrey Hills
  • glenp
    Free Member

Anyone that uses the Abinger Hatch as a start/finish/refreshment point might like to know that it re-opened last night after a few weeks closure for refurbishment. Hopefully the new owners will make a better go of it than the long slow decline that it has been through in the last few years.

freeridenick
    Free Member

good stuff – was long in decline….

glenp
    Free Member

Yep – it sure is a location that is hard to beat; with the holy trinity of church, pond and pub and a nice sunny aspect. Sadly I don’t think we’ll be getting cheap food or beer, but they have spent quite a lot of money.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Hopefully the new owners will make a better go of it than the long slow decline that it has been through in the last few years.

Was there at the end of last Summer, what was wrong with it? seemed like a perfectly normal country pub to me.

spacemonkey

with the holy trinity of church, pond and pub

Are you referring to those of a depressed/suicidal nature who might decide one day (when they’ve had enough) to:

1. go to the pub and get pished
    2. say a prayer or two in the church grounds
    3. and then drown themselves in the pond

?

njee20
    Free Member

seemed like a perfectly normal country pub to me.

+1

Posh decor + new owners = muddy cyclists not welcome…

Keva
    Free Member

what was wrong with it? seemed like a perfectly normal country pub to me

no SS or 29er beer for sale.

Kev

glenp
    Free Member

Was there at the end of last Summer, what was wrong with it? seemed like a perfectly normal country pub to me.

Unfortunately it was doing very little business, and went through a succession of managers and lost it’s direction. Compared to the glory days when Jan and Maria had it and it was a genuine hub of the village and quite frankly a great laugh it had become more than a bit sad.

Decent country pubs are a very rare thing.

The juxtaposition of church and pub (with duck pond merely for quaint Englishness) is rather classic – very good for weddings, baptisms and (sadly) funerals!

glenp
    Free Member

Posh decor + new owners = muddy cyclists not welcome…

It hasn’t been overly poshed! Basically the same, but a bit straightened up and clean.

freeridenick
    Free Member

The food used to be great years ago – and slowly declined, looking forward to trying it out again.

Beer was actually always pretty good.

newpubgirl
    Free Member

Hi,

Just wanted to give you an update on the “Posh decor + new owners = muddy cyclists not welcome” thoughts.

The new owners want to welcome everyone including “muddy” cyclists.

They themselves have done the cycle from Dorking station out to the Hatch a few times, although I must admit that I don’t think they are ardent cyclists and they didn’t look too good on it the first couple of times but they were willing!!!!

Coming back to the facilities for bikers – I know that they have been looking for a space outside so that customers can hose off their bikes if they want to. They also looked at having a room where bikers/walkers could leave their waterproofs etc., to dry off. They were looking at secure solutions for the above but I am unsure where they got to with this!! [let them have any ideas as they really want the pub to work for lots of different groups of people!!]

Finally, the pub is going to be child & dog friendly pub inside and out. In fact the manager has just got a new dog himself and so I am sure that the decor will take a bashing – muddy bikers or not!!

glenp
    Free Member

Still hopeful that things will turn out well, although the pub appeared to shut at ten last night?

heihei

Awesome – look forward to trying it as it’s soon to be my second local after the Volunteer!!

glenp
    Free Member

Are you moving close then Heihei? Hoe Lane?

heihei

Nope – closer than that 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Abinger Hatch, Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.