Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Abbey Village beginner ride pics
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Without the benefit of Lowey or Junkyard 🙁

what's this we saw?
    click pic for bigger

tony_m
    Free Member

what's this we saw?

That'll be the BBMF Dakota en route to/from a display/flypast somewhere. 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That'll be the BBMF Dakota

oh ? Cheers for that 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tony_m
    Free Member
    yoshimi

Interesting route, I took one of my neighbours, a 'beginner' on similar route yesteday, after healy nab with crashes, I don't think he'll be out with me again 😳

lowey

Lovely Day mate.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Interesting route

well, not being local I didn't know what would work well, and I had a request to include White Coppice due to its extreme dryness. I think another time I'd take the FP down to Belmont and pick up the Witton Weavers Way as I wasn't taken with the endless irregular flags on Spitlers Edge – though it feels delightfully remote. This was the first time I've ever seen the entire descent off Great Hill bone dry (apart from the shallow stream crossing below the steps)

after healy nab with crashes

I was well impressed with that – artificial trails are not to my taste, but it was fun, with a few little surprises 🙂

yoshimi

I thought your route works well 🙂

With regard to spittlers edge – I love it, like you say the remoteness of it but just the fact that its there and there seems to be no real historical reason I know of – a lot of effort to give walkers something firm to walk on.

I wasn't keen on the healy nab tracks at first, but now theyve bedded in a bit I actually like how tight some of the corners are and like the (lots of) off camber bits – certainly keeps you focussed thoughout its length – its a diffrent mattter when its wet though, gets very greasy and dangerous 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think another time I'd take the FP down to Belmont and pick up the Witton Weavers Way as I wasn't taken with the endless irregular flags on Spitlers Edge

Atr you really favouringa bridleway over a footpath 😯

Not a huge fan of healey nab but would be fun to see begineers do it
    Will join you for a non local ride soon enough.

Yosh – sorry to hear that your neighbour was put off watching you crash did you show him the shed 😈

yoshimi

sorry to hear that your neighbour was put off watching you crash

I'm a riding god, clearly it wasn't me crashing

Not sure how impressed he was with me laughing at him – also with him be a 'seriuos' rambler/walker, not sure how impressed he was that we managed to avoid nearly all bridleways in favour of footpaths 😈

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I thought your route works well

thanks, but I thought the flags were a pain – not like the ones on Withens Moor 🙂

a lot of effort to give walkers something firm to walk on.

but I walked back a ways to take some photos and found the surface too irregular to get a proper stride, so it's not good for walking either, though better than sinking into the bog I guess 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes SFB that will be the only dry time up there for then next 20 years so only way it is passable is with those flags and yes rubbish for walking on but better than sinking in mud.

Whats his problem you laughed at me crashing and I was not offended send him out with sfb to get over his fotpath issues

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

what's the middle track in this shot? It looks very steep…

click pic for bigger

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is on your left as you cycle through the garden – opposite the path coming up on your right. just before big views on your right and it is easy to spot. Not on OS map so I assume not recognised as a route
    It is ridable up and down in the dry and is steep and comes out at the side of the pidgeon tower
    You can just see the slight gap in trees where the rivvy gardn path is
    it is roughly here
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=363880&y=414520&z=120&sv=363880,414520&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=676&ax=363880&ay=414520&lm=0

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It is ridable up and down in the dry and is steep and comes out at the side of the pidgeon tower

I was thinking it must be the track that passes the top of the long flight of steps that emerges at the crossroads:

Junkyard
    Free Member

cant open you pic as IP address links banned at work – not sure wher eyou mean it emerges just below pidgeon tower but there are no styles at top or bottom iirc You can see path at the very top of Ice cream run if you are sat with pidgeon tower on your left looking down.

samuri
    Free Member

No, simon's picture is not from that path.

Simon, it starts at the pigeon loft and runs down to the less steep road that meets the ice cream run at the car park.

Junkyard
    Free Member

What the one I cant see?
    Confused now as you have described same path as me.
    The less steep road is the one through rivvington [chinese] gardens with distinctive arch bridge on it

Vortexracing

your right Junkyard, it's that steep one to the pigoen tower from the normal route up.

after about 1/4 mile up the road from the car park at the bottom of the ice cream run it's a gate on your left. It continues down to your right as well, through some nice 's' bends

Was up at white coppice last Wed and I can't believe how green and dry it is.

Was up there yesterday as well and the reservoirs are very low indeed.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Thanks for your help peeps, I'll try it next time I'm there 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Simon,

Junkyard and Samuri are both describing the same path (correctly) and it's nowhere near the flight of steps in your 2006 picture.
    The path in question runs outside of the main "Chinese Gardens" area and is just a connection mainly used by walkers between the Pigeon Tower and the lower track, emerging not far below the distinctive multi-arch bridge.
    To be honest, it's not as steep as it looks in your pic. I think you've just caught a section of it at the right angle to exagerate it.
    Incidently, the path looks to have gotten a whole lot wider recently.

We've ridden it (down) on the occasional Wed night outing.
    Don't get too excited. If you were stood at the top of the ICR, you wouldn't often opt for this one in preference to ICR.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and it's nowhere near the flight of steps in your 2006 picture.

yes the top of that flight is about 250m south of the tower 🙂 I've spotted the track on the 1:25000 map now…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Abbey Village beginner ride pics’ is closed to new replies.