Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)
  • A9 average speed camera preparatory work starts today
  • richmtb

Following our review of the speed limits, we consulted with the 8 police forces to seek their local knowledge and to gain support of our proposed recommendations. In some cases the police did not support our recommendation and we have amended our outcomes in line with the recommendations of the police.

So it does seem to include the thoughts of people with a good deal of experience, rather than being pulled out of the arse of some brainless bureaucrats. Note use of the word ‘seem’.

Yep I read that. But oddly enough there are no proposals to amend the speed limits south of Inverness and this is the safest part of the A9. But where are the sticking the average speed cameras?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Upgrade to dual carriageway is due to complete on 2025.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Upgrade to dual carriageway is due to complete on 2025.

Which is a good thing because the road does need to be dualled to Inverness, but this means 11 years of roadworks which are the areas where the nutters really seem to come out to play.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ve driven lots of rural single carriageways. Why’s this so different?

Not only is it designed a a fast road with sweeping bends, it’s the main road to Inverness and the Far North and, as well being a major business artery, carries huge numbers of tourists who get so involved in some of the scenery (and there’s plenty of it) that they can go very slow or forget which side of the road they should be on.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

They obviously want to reduce the existing average speed limits to ensure that everyone complies with the maximum legally allowed speed limit.

Silly me, I thought it might have neen to try and reduce the number of accidents, which as has been pointed out, average speed cameras are unlikely to do. I’d ask you to explain why reducing the speed limit will mean that people will stick to the reduced limit when they apparently don’t stick to the higher limit, but i doubt there would be much point.

I have never driven on the A9 north of Perth. Why ? Does everyone north of Perth drive faster when average speed cameras are installed ?

No, I was just wondering if you knew anything about what you’re talking about.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s all a big conspiracy to piss you off 🙂

I do yes thanks.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just been reading the contributing factors for accidents and speeding was only reported in 26 cases, which ranks it only 15th.

Travelling too fast for conditions ranks at 7th with 58 cases – but given the nature of the road in the winter I’d expect a lot of them to have been within the speed limit (which the stats would appear to back up).

molgrips
    Free Member

How can you eliminate speed as an issue?

Let’s talk hypothetically for a moment. If you are driving along at 70mph on some road, and someone pulls out in front of you and you hit them – what’s the cause of the accident? If you die, what’s the cause of your death?

epicsteve
    Free Member

It’s also worth noting that on the A9 South (i.e. Inverness to Perth) the accident rates for both single and dual carriageway’s are below the national average for those types of road. On the north section it’s 29% higher than the national average.

epicsteve
    Free Member

How can you eliminate speed as an issue?

There is a difference between speed and speeding as issues. Speed cameras (average or otherwise) might deal with speeding, but not inappropriate speed (which in many/most cases will be within the speed limit).

richmtb

Only on STW could people who have never driven on a road pass judgement about the driving on said road.

FWIW I’m not actually that bothered about average speed cameras on the A9. I drive up it twice a year (maybe).

But installing them will cause 6 months of roadworks and they are being placed in the areas where there is the least accidents.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only on STW could people who have never driven on a road pass judgement about the driving on said road.

Wait a minute. I’m talking about speeding in general. It may be that this road is special, and pepole should be allowed to drive as fast as they like on it, but given the accident stats this doesn’t sound like a good idea.

I understand that it is straight and has few junctions – I can use a map and google streetview – but apparently there’s some special quality I can only understand by being there? Like Woodstock?

Anyway back to seriousness:

Speed cameras (average or otherwise) might deal with speeding, but not inappropriate speed (which in many/most cases will be within the speed limit).

Of course. But given that there are accidents happening, if more people are travelling more slowly then regardless of accident, consequences will be less severe. I don’t see why this is controversial..?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Of course. But given that there are accidents happening, if more people are travelling more slowly then regardless of accident, consequences will be less severe. I don’t see why this is controversial..?

It appears the vast majority of accidents take place within the speed limit (from the official accident analysis) so while there may be some positive impact it doesn’t look like it’ll be big. i.e. If most of the accidents are happening within the speed limit then introducing cameras isn’t going to lower the average speeds, so won’t make accidents less severe. That’s what’s controversial i.e. perhaps the cash might be better spent on other safety related factors.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’d ask you to explain why reducing the speed limit will mean that people will stick to the reduced limit when they apparently don’t stick to the higher limit, but i doubt there would be much point.

I get the impression that you’ve never driven somewhere where there are average speed cameras.

No one in the OP’s link is talking about “reducing the speed limit”, where do you get that from ? Average speed cameras are installed to stop individual drivers from exceeding the maximum permitted speed limit. IME they are extremely successful in doing exactly that. They also have the effect of making drivers drive more calmly and with greater space between vehicles, IME.

richmtb

No worries mols, it wasn’t specifically directed at you, you not the only contributor to the tread who hasn’t actually driven along the road in the title.

PS I’m off to Mumsnet to post on a topic about menstrual pain. I’ve never actually menstruated but I am aware of “pain” in general, so I think I’m well qualified to comment 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

It appears the vast majority of accidents take place within the speed limit (from the official accident analysis)

That’s a fair point. Does the accident analysis report speed at impact, or initial speed?

you not the only contributor to the tread who hasn’t actually driven along the road in the title.

Why does this matter? I know it’s long and straight with few junctions – what else do I need to know?

sbob
    Free Member

They also have the effect of making drivers drive more calmly and with greater space between vehicles, IME.

😆 😆 😆

Sorry Che, I live just off the A14 and have very differing experiences.
    Chronic tailgating and snail racing between cars as well as HGVs. I’m told the road is now safer but accidents still bring the road to a standstill on an almost daily basis.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That’s a fair point. Does the accident analysis report speed at impact, or initial speed?

It’s a determination of whether speeding was a contributing factor – not a measurement of what the speed was at impact.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

There’s no need to apologize sbob if your experience has been different. And if it’s made you laugh hysterically, as apparently it has, then so much the better 🙂

So tailgating with no chance of overtaking is your experience of average seed cameras ? Well there’s a lot of daft people in this world and I guess many must live close to you.

I’m told the road is now safer but …..

But you know better.

bails

I’m told the road is now safer but accidents still bring the road to a standstill on an almost daily basis.

Wow, it must have been really bad before. I can see why they put the cameras in…

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s a determination of whether speeding was a contributing factor – not a measurement of what the speed was at impact.

Right.. so no indication of whether or not lives will be saved then?

sbob
    Free Member

So tailgating with no chance of overtaking is your experience of average seed cameras ? Well there’s a lot of daft people in this world and I guess many must live close to you.

The standard of driving on the A14 is notoriously abysmal, but I’m happy to bring up the average.
    It simply isn’t designed for the sheer volume of traffic that use it.
    Definitely one of the worst roads in the UK, although still not as bad as the A9.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Right.. so no indication of whether or not lives will be saved then?

It’s an assessment of whether speeding was a contributory factor. Not sure what your point is. The official accident survey says speeding isn’t a factor in the vast majority of accidents on the road, so it’s unclear why you think enforcing the existing speed limit will drastically impact safety on the road. I’d have thought spending any available money on something that will significantly affect safety might be a better idea.

sbob
    Free Member

bails – Member

Wow, it must have been really bad before. I can see why they put the cameras in…
    😉

Hmmm….
    Placing large NSL signs had a greater effect on reducing speed as half the muppets using the road think the limit for cars is 60.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I love average sped cameras, mainly because motorcycles are immune to a lot of them 😈
    I pass one very badly thought out on where the M25 meets the M3 every day. It’s only set up for cars entering from the M25, and as I’m going straight through on the M3, I only pass the second camera. Immune in the car as well! Bonus! (Not that I ever take the car)

scaredypants

It’s only set up for cars entering from the M25, and as I’m going straight through on the M3, I only pass the second camera. Immune in the car as well! Bonus! (Not that I ever take the car)

Unless they’ve changed it recently, you need to work on your observation skillz before trying it in a car

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s an assessment of whether speeding was a contributory factor. Not sure what your point is.

Well – is the point to reduce accidents, or improve safety?

scaredypants

Molgrips:

It isn’t controversial, and I think we all recognise that limiting speed to 20mph would probably reduce serious accidents massively. However, the chosen method of “controlling” speed there is average speed cameras when the current average speed is below their threshold and the official figures suggest that excessive speed (ie doing more than the limit) is not a major cause.

I don’t use that road either but I can imagine that most if not all the crashes will be the result of overtaking or pulling back in. If a driver chooses to rag the arse off his astravan for 400 yards to get past a lorry and exceeds the limit, it will not have a significant effect on his average speed (unless he does hit a lorry coming the other way 🙁 ).

Although IME average speed cameras do have the effect on speed that Ernie reports, I’d suggest that it’s because it empowers the stupid and/or sanctimonious to abandon all thoughts of lane discipline and drive at 5-10mph less than the limit in any and all lanes, braking further when the next camera actually appears 😀 . I see a lot of drivers tailgating and ranting in these “queues” but then I’ve only experienced them on short stretches of an otherwise 70 limit motorway and I think Ernie’s talking about much longer stretches of the M25, say

molgrips
    Free Member

It isn’t controversial, and I think we all recognise that limiting speed to 20mph would probably reduce serious accidents massively

Thanks for the reductio ad absurdum. I am of course not advocating sticking to 20mph, but maybe enforcing the 60mph limit and trying to stop people doing 80 would save some lives.

I can imagine that most if not all the crashes will be the result of overtaking or pulling back in.

Yes, and if more people are going more slowly there’ll be fewer fatalities. It won’t catch the crap overtaker, but it will stop the rep in his Merc driving too fast out of habit.

On the A417 they started leaving the smashed up cars by the roadside for a few weeks. Seemed to have a bit of an affect. I think they should also erect a temporary screen with video footage of the crash on a loop.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Although IME average speed cameras do have the effect on speed that Ernie reports, I’d suggest that it’s because it empowers the stupid and/or sanctimonious to abandon all thoughts of lane discipline and drive at 5-10mph less than the limit in any and all lanes, braking further when the next camera actually appears . I see a lot of drivers tailgating and ranting in these “queues” but then I’ve only experienced them on short stretches of an otherwise 70 limit motorway and I think Ernie’s talking about much longer stretches of the M25, say

They enable traffic to flow much better for longer for higher volumes through 50mph roadwork sections on normal motorways. Far better than the old 50mph signs plus one or two Gatsos. At a high enough volume, the traffic will always slow down but in any sections I’ve used regularly, they work very well.

scaredypants

Thanks for the reductio ad absurdum. I am of course not advocating sticking to 20mph, but maybe enforcing the 60mph limit and trying to stop people doing 80 would save some lives.

That’s everyone else’s point, you can’t have it. Average speed cameras can’t affect momentary idiocy.

Yes, and if more people are going more slowly there’ll be fewer fatalities. It won’t catch the crap overtaker, but it will stop the rep in his Merc driving too fast out of habit.

But I thought you’d just agreed that it was the overtaker (clearly, only the crap ones) who causes the crashes 🙁

Northwind

I am not convinced- I’ve seen a lot of terrible driving on the A9 and lots of it had nothing to do with speeding. A fair bit had to do with incredibly slow overtakes in fact, which this could make worse, something about average speed cameras seems to compel a lot of drivers to go at exactly the speed limit.

Hopefully I’m wrong but I don’t think it’ll have a huge positive impact and Ireckon it could well have some negative. I reckon the most useful thing they could do is just add about twice as many “dual carriageway in X miles” signs as there are just now, and possibly some others that say “Don’t be a **** in the dual carriageway sections, yes you, the guy who’ll use the entire 2 mile stretch to do an overtake while 500 cars are stuck behind”

molgrips
    Free Member

But I thought you’d just agreed that it was the overtaker (clearly, only the crap ones) who causes the crashes

Nothing of the sort! I did use the words ‘crap overtaker’ though.

Crashes are caused by all sorts of things, most of which are very hard to stop people doing. However there’s one thing common to every single crash – the faster people are going, the more likely they are to die in that crash.

Couple that with speed being very easy to measure, you’ve got something worth trying.

Just to re-iterate – I’m not saying lower speed prevents crashes. I’m saying that it makes crashes less serious.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d rather have signs that said ‘relax, take it easy, it’s not worth the hassle’ along with pictures of tropical islands, beautiful people, horses galloping through fields, couples cuddled up on sofas.. that kind of thing. Maybe pipe some gentle music through loudspeakers.

scotroutes

I guess I should preface my comments by saying that I use the A9 a lot. For a start, it’s actually my commute. By the rules previously established in this thread, I think that makes me the resident expert and therefore my opinion obviously counts more than anyone elses 😆

The A9 is awash with speeding motorists. In fact, I’d say it’s a fairly small minority that stay within the limits.

By far the worst offenders are van and HGV drivers. If I take my van (50mph on single carriageways remember – and I drive allowing for speedo error) I’m constantly being caught up by larger trucks, some flashing at me to go faster. I don’t see why I should be aiding and abetting criminal behaviour.

The HGV drivers have been pushing to have their speed limit increased to 50mph as it will, apparently, make things safer by reducing convoys. Personally, I’d rather overtake a truck driving at 40mph than one driving at 50mph. The limit is going to be increased – once the speed cameras are installed. I guess that, otherwise, they’d simply speed up to 60mph (or above).

Now – is speeding the greatest cause of accidents on the A9? I wouldn’t say so. Rubbish overtaking seems to come up most often. However, reducing speed will reduce the severity of many impacts and might, on occasion, even provide enough time to avoid one altogether.

Where is everyone going in such a hurry anyway?

jfletch
    Free Member

This thread is predictably devoid of facts!

But the facts unquestionably show that average speed cameras reduce KSI numbers in roads like the A9. So it seems a reasonable approach to install the cameras. Every road is unique though so the true test of integrity for the traffic planner will be to remove them if the don’t work.

They almost certainly will work though.

Northwind

molgrips – Member

I’d rather have signs that said ‘relax, take it easy, it’s not worth the hassle’

Aye. That’s also the point of the “dual in 2 miles” signs, they discourage people from overtaking til they get there.

molgrips
    Free Member

In theory…..

epicyclo

What pisses me off on the A9 is that what should be a safe overtake becomes hazardous because Mr Fangio Important coming the other way is doing 90mph+.

Basically that means there are very few safe places to overtake.

If the average speed cameras slow those characters down it will make the road a safer place.

molgrips
    Free Member

What pisses me off on the A9 is that what should be a safe overtake becomes hazardous because Mr Fangio Important coming the other way is doing 90mph

Exactly. Most of the pro speeders are only thinking about controlling their own car on the road. They seem oblivious to how their speeding affects other road users.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘A9 average speed camera preparatory work starts today’ is closed to new replies.