Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 168 total)
  • A9 average speed camera preparatory work starts today
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Either I’m making the point badly or your missing it. Becoming frustrated by being held up is poor driver behaviour. The poster that says your not stuck in traffic you are traffic sums it up.

Roads in general would benefit from better drivers.

The white crosses are just for serious accidents the black ones are for deaths. It doesn’t make any difference.

peterfile
    Free Member

I dunno, the dual sections are ridiculous wacky races

So true! It would be hilarious if it wasn’t for the fact that these are 1-2 tonnes of metal travelling at 90mph, guided by fools.

It’s the guys who you can see in your mirror, still tanking it down the overtaking lane at full tilt, with only a couple of hundred yards of road left, desperately trying to get in front of as many cars as possible…then hammering the brakes when they nip back in, stuck in the same 20 car convoy as the rest of us 🙂

The other one I find amusing and terrifying in equal measures, are the guys (it’s always guys) who sit 3ft behind an HGV, continually sticking their nose out for a look then having to swing back in and go on the brakes, repeating every 15 seconds until they finally stick their nose out and there are no cars coming….JUST SIT MORE THAN 3FT BACK SO YOU CAN SEE WHETHER THE BLOODY ROAD IS CLEAR OR NOT!!!!! 😈

andytherocketeer

doing 40 behind a truck doing 40 is making progress.
    IME the trucks do a little more than 40 anyway. steady 45 on my GPS when “stuck” behind them.

doing 30 or 25 whilst on a sunday afternoon drive might be classified as not making progress.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

As always, it’s not (as a lot of people here seem to think) a binary issue. There’s lots of causes, but I find it hard to believe anyone who wouldn’t get a bit annoyed at taking 2 1/2 hours to get from Perth to Inverness rather than 1 3/4 hours which is the kind of difference 45ish to 60ish would make.

If we boil everything down to the fact that human is driving then most accidents will be the caused by poor driving in form. But is it easier to fix the attitude of millions of motorists or to fix the road layout, speed restrictions etc to remove the factors which causes the humans to make the mistakes they make.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a real shame that they are going to try and use speed cameras to stop dangerous overtaking and bad Road layout and do nothing about bad driving.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’s a real shame that they are going to try and use speed cameras to stop dangerous overtaking and bad Road layout and do nothing about bad driving.

What would you suggest they do?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Police, separated lanes, overtaking lanes, enforcement of rules not just sending out speeding tickets, media work, advertising hgv stopping areas, pushing more freight onto rail would be a few things.

bigjim

In an ideal world regular patrols, zero tolerance of speeding and bad driving with huge penalties/ban, naming and shaming, public hanging, …

ransos
    Free Member

Needs to be dual the whole way.

No, people just need to allow a bit longer for their journey.

bigjim

It’s the guys who you can see in your mirror, still tanking it down the overtaking lane at full tilt, with only a couple of hundred yards of road left, desperately trying to get in front of as many cars as possible…then hammering the brakes when they nip back in, stuck in the same 20 car convoy as the rest of us

Yeah and so many times you arrive in the queue at Inverness or Perth roundabouts a few cars back from them.

bigjim

No, people just need to allow a bit longer for their journey.

now you are just dreaming 🙂

D0NK

There’s a large number of people who just don’t seem to be able to overtake at all.

I don’t know the road but if it’s dual/single/dual all the way maybe these people “unable to overtake” are happy to wait for the next dual section?

Yeah and so many times you arrive in the queue at Inverness or Perth roundabouts a few cars back from them.

we have a little car with a weak ass engine so fast overtakes aren’t an option, when I do have about 5mins worth of clear road visible and press the go pedal it’s fairly safe but it burns god knows how much extra fuel and it’s depressingly annoying when you notice the overtakee a couple cars back when you hit the next town.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

About a month ago, early on a dull grey morning, traffic was light. I saw dull-coloured cars trusting that their sidelights were enough to makes them visible to drivers coming towards them. It was scary, with snow on some of the tops catching the dawn sunlight, the Pass itself gloomy and dark.

More cops in more cars with cameras, more time to stop folk and show them what they’re doing wrong please: not average speed cameras.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Police, separated lanes, overtaking lanes, enforcement of rules not just sending out speeding tickets, media work, advertising hgv stopping areas, pushing more freight onto rail would be a few things.

So a bit more than just trying to change drivers attitudes. Tbh, I agree with you that it’s ultimately the drivers who are at fault most of the time, but I’m realistic enough to know that changing attitudes is really really **** hard. It’ll take more than just police enforcement to stop bad over taking.

Dualing the whole road and removing as many temptations to bad driving as possible would have, imo, a biggest effect on accident rates than enforcement alone.

Though, obviously in an ideal world a nationwide campaign and re-education of those of us who drive would be best.

granny
    Free Member

It would help if slow moving vehicles used the laybys to allow traffic to flow.
    It would also help if lorries didn’t tailgate each other, making it impossible at times to safely overtake.
    I fully agree with the earlier point about vehicles doing 90mph on the dual sections. The fight to then pull into one lane is horrendous at times.
    I’m all for average speed cameras. And roll on the upgrade to dual.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I don’t know the road but if it’s dual/single/dual all the way maybe these people “unable to overtake” are happy to wait for the next dual section?

Possibly, but it is often miles to the next dual section and it will often be short and used up by one truck trying to pass another.

jfletch
    Free Member

Since average speed cameras where installed on the A616 Stockbridge bypass north of sheffield KSI accidents have reduced by 82%. The speed limit has also been reduced to 50mph

I don’t know the A9 but on the face of it the road is similar, short sections of dual with the rest winding single A road with a high volume of lorries.

There are other examples of this appoarch being effective.

One theory why average speed cameras can be effective in reducing accidents where speed wasn’t the primary cause could be that the presence of the cameras changes peoples mindset on the road.

People switch from thinking that 60mph is the target and when allowed will speed up to 70-80. At these speeds the difference between the 40mph and their ambition is large. They assume the can save a lot of time by overtaking.

Average speed cameras are viewed as effective by drivers, see what happens on motorway road works with or without them for proof. So if you reduce the drivers expectation of being able to go 70-80 down to a max of 60 or ideally 50 then the risky overtake suddely has much less benefit. So people don’t bother, the settle in for a long drive at the speed limit and then a time at 10mph below their max is neither here nor there.

Of course you will still get some knobs but there will be less of them.

Cheaper than changing the road and still very effective.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Since average speed cameras where installed on the A616 Stockbridge bypass north of sheffield KSI accidents have reduced by 82%. The speed limit has also been reduced to 50mph

How long is that? Perth to Inverness is something like 115 miles.

ransos
    Free Member

now you are just dreaming

I suspect that persuasion will come in the form of a statutory demand for payment in a buff-coloured envelope…

molgrips
    Free Member

Average speed cameras, but make the whole lot 40mph. Sorted 🙂

Anyway – it’s someone’s job to figure out the best thing they can do to reduce accidents, and these people have presumably looked at data to figure out what’s the most cost effective way to do this. More police would of course be nice, but it’s rather expensive. I expect average speed cameras would be cheaper. Also remember that the Police are there at every accident, day in day out, looking at the scene and analysing what happened. They probably have a better idea than you what causes most of the accidents.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not if you wish to reduce the average speed drivers drive at, which is clearly the intention of Transport Scotland, they will achieve that.

..and why do they want to reduce speeds on this road?
    As a matter of interest, how often do you drive the A9 north of Perth, ernie?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Anyway – it’s someone’s job to figure out the best thing they can do to reduce accidents, and these people have presumably looked at data to figure out what’s the most cost effective cheapest way to do this.

molgrips
    Free Member

So has anyone seen the work done to establish the possible impact of average speed cameras vs other measures?

And as for your comment about doing things cheaply – this is public money after all.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

..and why do they want to reduce speeds on this road?
    As a matter of interest, how often do you drive the A9 north of Perth, ernie?

They obviously want to reduce the existing average speed limits to ensure that everyone complies with the maximum legally allowed speed limit.

I have never driven on the A9 north of Perth. Why ? Does everyone north of Perth drive faster when average speed cameras are installed ?

epicsteve
    Free Member

They obviously want to reduce the existing average speed limits to ensure that everyone complies with the maximum legally allowed speed limit.

They may wish to do that, however as many have mentioned it doesn’t appear like high average speeds are a major accident factor on that road – dodgy overtakes being far more of a safety issue, plus the effect of tourists getting confused with all the dual/single carriageway changes.

They only way to really sort the A9 out is going to be when it’s dual-carriageway all the way. That’ll have a massive effect on the accident rate – but it’s expensive so being done slowly.

molgrips
    Free Member

it doesn’t appear like high average speeds are a major accident factor on that road

.. to someone who hasn’t studied it…

epicsteve
    Free Member

How do you know I haven’t studied it?

VanMan
    Free Member

For those who want to study it!

Road between Perth and Thurso

Mean speed on sections listed is already below 60mph.

peterfile
    Free Member

Those stats north of Tain are shocking.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They may wish to do that, however as many have mentioned it doesn’t appear like high average speeds are a major accident factor on that road – dodgy overtakes being far more of a safety issue, plus the effect of tourists getting confused with all the dual/single carriageway changes.

Yes they obviously do “wish to do that”, and I have no doubt that they will succeed.

The fact that “it doesn’t appear like high average speeds are a major accident factor on that road” is irrelevant to whether they will succeed in reducing the average speed or not.

I’m not sure why there should be an argument presented here which claims that people should be permitted to ignore maximum speed limits. If the maximum speed limit has been set incorrectly then the solution is to change it, not to allow people to ignore it.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do you know I haven’t studied it?

I don’t, I was talking about the hypothetical person. If you have, it’d be great to share with the thread.

richmtb

I’m not a traffic planner nor do I have any expertise in this area. Also I don’t actually use the road in question much although I have driven it a few times.

However this is the internet so here goes.

I would being willing to place a large bet that the average speed on the A9 is below 60mph on the single carriageway sections. So high average speed is not the issue.

Average speed camera do however have a major effect on driver behaviour. Drivers know they can’t “beat” the average speed camera so tend to stick rigidly to the speed limit. This has the effect of reducing the difference in speed between fast and slow traffic. This is generally a good thing

The only issue is how much of an effect large volumes of HGVs that now have to stick to 40mph are going to have

molgrips
    Free Member

Whoah.. wait!

For those who want to study it!

Road between Perth and Thurso

Mean speed on sections listed is already below 60mph.

Most of these are rural single carriageways. Those are average speeds approaching 60mph. You have to be going pretty quickly to average 55mph on a country road yourself, so when you consider that a lot of people won’t be going fast that seems to indicate that a lot of peopel are really giving it the beans.

Are similar stats for other roads available?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This has the effect of reducing the difference in speed between fast and slow traffic.

And as a consequence opens up huge spaces between vehicles IME.

richmtb

Most of these are rural single carriageways. Those are average speeds approaching 60mph. You have to be going pretty quickly to average 55mph on a country road yourself,

How often have you driven it mols?

I’m sure there are plenty on here who have driven it a lot more than me but from what I remember there is not a single bend between Perth and Inverness that you couldn’t negotiate easily at the speed limit, for the most part at least as far as Scottish A-roads are concerned its very wide and very straight.

molgrips
    Free Member

Never, but I’ve driven lots of rural single carriageways. Why’s this so different? I assumed it was like the A40 over the Cotswolds, which it sounds like.

If you keep your speedo pinned at 60, you’ll only be averaging 54mph. On such rural roads that’s what I do, and I come across lots of slower traffic. Bearing in mind that those figures are the MEAN speed for everyone (a quick flick-through doens’t indicate if that included lorries or caravans etc) then some people are going a fair bit faster than 60mph.

It also says this:

Following our review of the speed limits, we consulted with the 8 police forces to seek their local knowledge and to gain support of our proposed recommendations. In some cases the police did not support our recommendation and we have amended our outcomes in line with the recommendations of the police.

So it does seem to include the thoughts of people with a good deal of experience, rather than being pulled out of the arse of some brainless bureaucrats. Note use of the word ‘seem’.

epicsteve
    Free Member

If you keep your speedo pinned at 60, you’ll only be averaging 54mph

How do you work that one out? My car’s speedo is pretty accurate (according to my GPS anyway) so if I keep it pinned at 60mph I’ll be averaging 60mph.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Goodness me, it’s nothing like that molgrips! It’s more like the A1 than a country road. It’s a fast road in pretty much anything, and it’s very easy to do 60mph for the full length of it. Also, stretches are dual carriageway at 70mph so actually that average speed is a touch slow, if anything.

Agree about cameras being the wrong thing for the A9, the whole road structure needs redoing. However, given the terrain it goes through, I’m not sure how likely that is.

(and, as above, my speedo in a cheap car is more accurate than that- 62mph=60mph)

epicsteve
    Free Member

I think it is planned to dual the whole of the A9 between Perth and Inverness but it’ll take decades due to the cost.

peterfile
    Free Member

Never, but I’ve driven lots of rural single carriageways. Why’s this so different?

As munrobiker said, it’s more like Route 66 than the A40.

If the road was empty you could sit at 90mph without worrying about corners.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 168 total)

The topic ‘A9 average speed camera preparatory work starts today’ is closed to new replies.