• This topic has 37 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ton.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • A tough hardtail frame for the larger rider
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

I’m looking for a freeridey/all mountainey/insert generic new marketing phrase hardtail frame. Basically I’m looking for a burly hardtail frame that will happily take a clumsy, heavy rider who likes to do a bit of everything. I enjoy the climb as well as the descent so I’m looking for something of an allrounder. U-turn Pikes will be the fork used for it, so I can steepen the bike up for climbs and slacken for descents.
    The problem is I’m 6’4″ and all the burly hardtail frames seem to only go up to a 16 or 17″ size, whereas I’m looking for something in the 19″ region.
    Max Budget is £450. Reading this back it seems like I’m asking for the moon on a stick, but any help greatly appreciated.

nickc

Chameleon

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a 456 with Pikes and it takes some stick. Done the Alps twice and took a real hammering. No problems and cheap too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

I’m 6’5″ and 16.5 stone and had the same issue with tough frames being too small in their largest size. I went for a 20″ 456 and I’d say that it’d be spot on for what you want – cheap too – esp if you get a second hand one.

The SC Chameleon is the other obvious alternative but costs a lot more.

chakaping
    Free Member

Prince Albert?

Hairychested
    Free Member

456 Summer Edition – a bit stronger than a regular 456 apparently.

Stiggy

I’m selling an 18″ Trailstar in the classifieds if that’s any use? 😉

qwerty
    Free Member

Kona Hoss, 18″ & 22″ in stock £195.74

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Kona_Hoss_Frame_2008/5360037335/

?

flyingmonkeycorps

Stiffee? Bit out of your price range unless you can find one on offer.

Neb

I’ve a 19″ 2007 Orange Crush frame going if that would be of interest? Its not on the Classifieds yet as I’ve not got round to it…

pk-ripper
    Free Member

A mate of mine (Dangles on here) has a large Banshee Scirocco which could be just the ticket. Have mailed him the link….

slowmedown
    Free Member

6’5″ I ride DH as well as uphill, my 20″ 456 is the only bike I’ve ever owned that I haven’t broken (yet!) despite snapping my DH bike midseason and doing my very best to ride just as fast on my 456… it survived 8m+ long jumps and 2-3m drops. Oh and I rode up Pic du Canigou in the Pyrenees (1800m climb) Highly recomended

freeman
    Free Member

Will be splitting my 07 Subzero in the v near future, its a 16″ but will handle riders around 6′ ish , its blue it comes with a Use sumo shockpost and hope QR, truvativ holzfeller cranks and a King headset all for the bargain price of £400……….. email me if you want some pics.

craig1975
    Free Member

SC Chameleon or the Cove Stiffee, I’m 6ft and 16stone and they where fine for me, I’m currently running a Chameleon. It is stiff as hell, maybe not so good for them all day treks, but totally fine for two or three hours, any more and my back dies, a solid steed

The cove stiffee is a well solid frame two, It is a little more forgiven, I love both frames, I wish i never punted my cove.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

my mates selling a XL Chameleon frame (old style with the better sliding dropouts, but hardly used at all).

Drop him an email: finnsfolks1@netzero.net (or.com, I cant rememember, just send to both in case!).

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Trans AM.

£440. Large is 19.5″

Dangles
    Free Member

As per the post by PK- Ripper (thanks mate)

I do have a large Banshee Scirocco for sale

Looks like:

Geometry can be found here

Dave (based in Surrey)

devs
    Free Member

456 Summer Season. I’m a big galoot wot breaks bikes all the time and I haven’t broken it yet.

LaBear
    Free Member

Sounds like a Cove Stiffee 21″ would be perfect for you. I’m 6’4″ and ride one.
    If you can’t stretch to paying for new one I have a Pink 21″ one for sale for £450!

Chris_Cov_Cycles
    Free Member

GrumpyDave,

we’ve got a 21″ black Cove Stiffee in our new year sale. £475 if you’re interested 😉

Cheers
    Chris
    Coventry Cycle Centre
    02476 222997
    Coventry Cycle Centre

takisawa2

One of these in a large would fit the bill…

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    Looking at the geometry I think a 21″ Cove Siffee might be a little too big. The 19″ would probably be a better fit.

itchy
    Free Member

Dave – I have a large 2008 Chameleon in black, hardly used, which I am going to build up over the weekend and sell. Let me know your e-maiil address if you are interested in frame only and I’ll send some photo’s over with a few more details. Should have plenty of pennies left from your budget for some nice finishing kit! Where are you based by the way?

ton

6ft 4” 21 stone.
    got a kona hoss
    got a specialized rockhopper
    got a haro mary 29r

all are suitable for a big bloke.

hoss is the stiffest tho.

k31ron
    Free Member

‘ve a 19″ 2007 Orange Crush frame going if that would be of interest? Its not on the Classifieds yet as I’ve not got round to it…

Neb, if you still have that orangef frame for sale i would be interested.

richc
    Free Member

PA has to be a safe bet, that TransAM looks good tho, but why have they spec’ed a 30.0 seatpost?!? if it was a 30.9 it would be perfect as you could use a adjustable post

Wookster

Am 6’3 and 18stone (and a bit sometimes!!) got a cove stiffee its been brill ride a 19″ its quite upright tough but you’ll get up most things if you wind the forks down.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Have a look at the new Chumba HX1, tis a nice solid hard tail frame.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Another vote for the Hoss. Here’s papadirt’s 20″er . . .

sharki
    Free Member
    pullfaces
    Free Member

GrumpyDave
    I’m 6’2″ and have the largest Pace hardtail – similar takisawa2’s above.
    Its 19″ and only just large enough.
    I had to find a 410mm seat post which is then extended to maximum for it to fit.
    I would suggest you need a 20″ frame at least for those rides where you don’t drop the saddle.
    My next frame will be 20″.

Fagus
    Free Member

Slight hijack, maybe. I’m 6’2″ and weigh 14 stone. I’m after a new hardtail for general cross country work. No fancy tricks, jumps, bumps etc, just solid riding. On the real rough stuff I’ll take the 575, but there are lots of rides where this is overkill. Was thinking of running something like 100mm Rebas on it.

I’ve been riding a 19″ Kona, but this is being relegated to general bumming about duties. Size is OK, but handling seems wooden, and although I won’t be throwing it around trail centres or off massive drops I want something a bit more lively.

Any of these potential sales suitable for this?

Biffer
    Free Member

Another Chameleon frame for sale here if anyone is interested. Its a 2008 model with EBB, large or 18″.

Pictures available from biff.baker@btconnect.com

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Fatty here too riding a 456 Summer Season with coil Revelations. Top bike. Feels a bit much with Pikes on.

ianpinder
    Free Member

alright, 6ft 4 and 25stone, i had a stiffee, amazing hardtail, i had mine in 19inch and felt about right with a 90mm stem, now ride a cove handjob and that is fine with my weight to tho i don’t jump it or do drop on it. I did however do long jumps and drops on my stiffee and would highly recommend it. I ould probably go for the 21 inch and run a short stem if i were you.

Wiksey
    Free Member

Minor hijack – what forks are you larger chapies running?

ianpinder
    Free Member

I run air pikes, air revelations, air 36s, and air totems just to buy a set of air rebas.

ton

air for me too.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘A tough hardtail frame for the larger rider’ is closed to new replies.