Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • A question for the roadies among us.
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Do roadie’s ever speak when riding past mountain bikers?

Are they elitist?

Or just arse’s?

Had one today ride past me, not much faster than me and blank me whilst I said a pleasantry. Nothing.
    Set of traffic lights half a mile ahead, he’s mincing behind the line of cars, so I ride past to the ASL. A couple of minutes later he’s drafting me. Eventually he decides to pass, I say my pleasantries again, and again, nothing.

I don’t want to be his best mate or owt, just being polite to a fellow cyclist.

Bregante

Some people are knobs.

Some aren’t.

I’m not sure that the type of bike you ride is necessarily the main influencing factor though.

Then again. Maybe he was blowing out his arse and couldn’t speak.

Maybe he was painfully shy.

Shall I go on?

defydude
    Free Member

Just because someone rides a bike, does not reduce the possibility they may be an arse.

Bregante got in there first.

OP seems a bit thin skinned though…wanna cuddle? 😉

scaredypants

sometimes I get tongue-tied when I meet a really gorgeous person

could it be that ? (might explain the riding behind you ofr a while, too)

Bregante

🙂

flatfish
    Free Member

I don’t want to be his best mate or owt, just being polite to a fellow cyclist.

Like I said I’m not really bothered, just curious as to why somebody couldn’t exchange pleasantries whilst out riding.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Do you say hello to every single person you meet when you walk down the street ? Give a little wave to every other car driver when you’re driving down the road ?

MSP

I don’t understand the need for attention from others just because they are on a bike.

Bregante

I ride road bikes and mountain bikes.

Today I was a social butterfly, exchanging pleasantries to all that I encountered.

Tomorrow, I will go out of my way to kill baby Robins 😈

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i usually have earphones in and am passing at a much higher speed, but i would probably make some kind of unpleasant grunting sound as i pass on the off chance they were saying something to me.

flatfish
    Free Member

Or is it just a southern thing?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Maybe he was just too knackered to say anything? If I’m riding my road bike I’m usually giving it full beans and wont have enough breath to say hello. I’ll usually nod if that’s the case though. Tbh, some people are knobs and wont speak to you, regardless of the bike they ride. There’s more important things to worry about imo, like whether rotating mass at the rim is really the best place to save weight 😛

scaredypants

I do road rides now & then – often see a real po-faced serious geezer coming the other way. Never even looks over

He overtook me once though, going like a bloody train and nearly crying with the effort he was putting in (course, I am MASSIVELY fast and so it must’ve hurt him 😐 ) so I assume he’s just full-bore all the time

flatfish
    Free Member

Trust me, this guy wasn’t “full bore”!

Bregante

Maybe it was Leonard Hauser

“At 62, Leonard is a cycling figure of Olympian stature himself. Only his daily competition is to eke out a living as a person with developmental disabilities. According to Mindy Moyer, Leonard is electively mute — he chooses not to speak. He has everything he needs to make words, Moyer explained, but instead he only makes sounds, like clucks for a bird or whistles for a train.”

flatfish
    Free Member

Nope, wasn’t in his 60’s.

Kuco

Maybe he just doesn’t like you.

flatfish
    Free Member

He doesn’t know me.

oldgit
    Free Member

For the benefit of the STW folk.
    You almost certainly encountered a ‘roadie’i.e someone who has purchased a road bike.
    A ‘roadman’ is very different. The roadman will leave you in no doubt, and if they think you’re pretty handy they might hook up with you.

Edit. Whilst a roadie might be kitted up to the hilt, and might have spent days researching all there is to know about who’s hot and who’s not. And what coffee the Europeans drink, they often miss the bit about sharing the love.
    I met a roadman whilst training on Thursday, one of Team Corleys lot and we got along just fine, until I got my left and right wrong and went a different way 😳

stoney
    Free Member

i allways say hello as you go by, it`s just common manners 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c29OpzjjXc0[/video]

The football version of a roadie.

Wookster

Yeah some people won’t say hi when out, fair enough I always say hi. Same with walkers when in the trail. Was riding to meet up with some mates and this chap passed me giving me the “full Lance” even as I said hi! Awesome:)

oldgit
    Free Member

plop_pants
    Free Member

When you’re driving your car do you say hello to everyone driving the other way? Course not.

muddyman
    Free Member

i was being chatty with a tesco till lady a while back and was wondering why the rude **** didnt reply till someone came up and started talking in sign language to her !! oops 😳 not saying this is what happend in your case but you never know !!??

flatfish
    Free Member

When you’re driving your car do you say hello to everyone driving the other way? Course not.

When I’m at work I acknowledge the other trades people in my profession as you never know when we might need help from each other. Half of them I’ve never met but they wave at me just as much as I wave at them.

If this roadie had a flat around the next bend and didn’t have a pump, would I have stopped to help?
    Not sure, probably not, due to his ignorance.

It cost’s nothing to be polite.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Got to say very few roadies won’t give a nod or a hello when I see them, this despite my breaking of many roadie laws such as hairy legs, mismatched kit, missing headbadge and riding slowly 🙂

In Derby btw

vdubber67
    Free Member

Isn’t this thread posted in advance of the deadline for the next tedious “why are roadies miserable?” thread?. Seems like we only just had the last one.
    😉

But seriously, when I’m out on the road bike, looking like a roadie, I sometimes get other roadies not acknowledging me. Get over it.

headfirst
    Free Member

Here in Yorkshire if you don’t say ‘now then’ or ‘how do’ when you meet/pass/glance at a stranger it is assumed you are socially retarded, from Lancashire or worst off all from down South.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Whilst in Sainbury’s last night I kept saying hello to all my fellow shoppers as I past them, after all we all have something in common in doing our weekly grocery shop. Not one returned my pleasantry and it was even worse while we were at the till waiting.

I left the shop in a right mood at the thought at their ignorance. Bloody miserable shoppers.

flatfish
    Free Member

One would suspect that’s a bit of B.S. from mulletus. 🙄

talltom
    Free Member

My brother in law once worked as rep for a certain northern mtb concern.
    On his trips to London, he’d park up in the’burbs and get the tube in for his calls.
    On one occasion he thought it’d be fun to see how many Londeners he could get to say hello…………………not one!!
    He still laughs at that

EDIT – It could have been they were scared by the 6’4″ jolly yorkshireman

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Point is, just because we all have something in common doesn’t mean we have to always acknowledge each others existence.

Personally I always say hello to fellow cyclists, but it doesn’t bother me if I get ignored, it’s up to them.

These type of threads seem to come up every few weeks with always the same conclusions. It’s not just roadies either. All cyclist can be ignorant/ shy. Dear I say it, even mountainbikers too.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

If you use my rule about society and realise this is correct and understand this EVERYTHING will be OK.

90% of the UK population are f00kin bell ends.

flatfish
    Free Member

Like I said in the previous post, manners cost nothing.

TenMen
    Free Member

When I’m on my road bike, I acknowledge fellow roadies, and ignore all mountain-bikers. When I’m on my mountain bike, I acknowledge fellow mountain-bikers, and ignore all roadies. I always nod to people on cyclocross bikes, and to ladies. And I always, always ignore people on hybrids.

13thfloormonk

Would you stop to acknowledge other mountainbikers if you were horsing along some singletrack or down a descent? Probably not.

Its kind of like that with a road bike, you don’t go out for a bimble with nice wide shopping bike handlebars, you’re out to hurt yourself (which doesn’t take much for me at the moment 😳 ) in a committed position on a bike which could concievably punish you for exaggeratedly lifting/nodding of the head/waving/taking eyes of the road etc.

mintimperial

I had a roadie say hello to me completely unprompted today. They usually acknowledge me saying “Hi” with a nod or something, maybe northern roadies are just more friendly, I dunno. In fact, the last roadie I can remember not saying hello to me was singing Gilbert & Sullivan to himself at the top of his voice in the middle of nowhere, so I’m happy to let him off… 😀

flatfish
    Free Member

Would you stop to acknowledge other mountainbikers if you were horsing along some singletrack or down a descent? Probably not.

I probably wouldn’t stop but I would certainly shout a cheery hello.

Like I said, I don’t want the guys babies, an in depth conversation about politics, nor a chat about his nice/shit bike. Just a polite reply to my pleasantry.

Is it really to much to say hello/lift an elbow/nod/grunt nowadays.

elaineanne
    Free Member

roadies give me the nod quite often but then agin im a woman 😉 :mrgreen:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘A question for the roadies among us.’ is closed to new replies.