Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A question about bike light batteries
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have a DX MTE SSC P7 and it uses 18650 batteries and have been running it with the 2400mah versions, will a 2800mah or 3000mah battery aid in the brightness or run time?

Or is the additional £3 not worth it?

Cheers

bear-uk
    Free Member

Run time

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Any idea what kind of additional run time 600mah would provide?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

600/2400 = 25%

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Surely it is not as easy as that? I was going to ask but didn't want to just incase 🙄

Junkyard
    Free Member

What the hairy autistic fella said 😉
    The figures will be a bit hit and miss as good batteries are better and I really do believe you get what you pay for with batteries. I have 2700 mAH batteires with totally different run times for example. I would assume between 10 -20 % improvment if batteries of same quality.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Worth a try then?

duckers
    Free Member

I was thinking about this with regards to the DX bike light… I was thinking that the 18650's in the supplied battery pack could be poo and may not have decent capacity, I thought about pulling the pack apart, replacing the supplied ones with some 3000mha's, and resealing the pack. Any thoughts on this?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Any thoughts on this?

there was a thread about this during the week, which said basically that this is very unwise unless you know what you're doing 🙁

z1ppy

Dimmadan, I've just been looking at the DX site 18650 batteries and the obvious thing to note is that going from 2500 to 2800 the price doubles… if you do the sums, you'd be better just buying two lots of the 2500mAh….

jond
    Free Member

>I have 2700 mAH batteires with totally different run times for example

Bear in mind that there will be some process variation on manufacturing – although they may have diffent runtimes both may well be exceeding the specified capacity (= runtime) but to a differing degree.

Re mAH – it's a measure of capacity (if you looks at the units, it's current x time) – eg a 2700 mAH battery/cell may provide 2.7A (2700mA) for 1hr, or half that curent for two hours, or a quarter for 4 hours, or twice that for a half hour – in each case current x time is the same.
    Tho' that's not *quite* correct, the 2700mAH rating will be at one particular current, and it won't be a linear tradeoff (eg at one extreme you're not gonna get 27A out a battery for 1/10 of an hour, and at the other extreme with a very low current draw from the battery, it'll self-discharge before delivering the rated capacity – rechargables go flat left on the shelf)

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I am currently using these
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20392

But was thinking of getting these for $2 more
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26249

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A question about bike light batteries’ is closed to new replies.