• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by jack.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • A nimble steel hard tail? Not hardcore or burly…
  • TimothyD
    Free Member

I’m not into burly descents or anything too hardcore,would nimble steel hardtails be more along the lines of a Rock Lobster 853 and Cotic Souls and Voodoo Wangas,rather than a Prine Albert or Inbred 456?

I suppose a P7 would be worth a look if i was after nimble?

thanks
    Tim

TimothyD
    Free Member

For 250-300 ish.

hora
    Free Member

In that case it is a Sanderson Life.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius coped just as well as a cotic soul this weekend. Similar specs there was nothing in it.

IMO the fork you use and how you set it up will have more of a bearing on how nimble the ride is than which manufacturers take on the steel frame is. Obviously this is based on them being xc steel frames rather than some of these longer travel based frames.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Given the criteria, you want a Rock Lobster 853. Lovely ride, light, well made, just the right amount of springyness. Go for it!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if your after a 18″ sanderson, ive got an 853 version, looks awesome, but cant comment on anythign else as ive torn my knee cartilage before getting to ride the thing!

RustySpanner

Honestly, try and ride a few, especially if you think you already know what you want.

I thought I wanted a Cove Handjob or a 456.
    I’d read everything I could find relating to them and had convinced myself that one of them was the right bike for me.
    Turns out I didn’t like the ride of the first and that the second didn’t fit.

Loved the ride of the Cotic and RL 853. Eventually bought an RL 853 as it worked out about £600 cheaper for a complete bike!

Loads of shops do test rides – I used Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge. They charged £30.00 for me to hire the Cove for a day, but it actually saved me an awful lot of cash.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I think you’re along the right lines but also checkout cove handjobs.

and this thread

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/reccomend-me-a-steel-hardtail

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’m amazed that the word inbred is nowhere on this page!

matt_outandabout

Orange R7 when it arrives….!

mboy
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude 853. Big thumbs up from me, similar to a Cotic Soul only with more conventional stays, and cheaper!

Or you could consider a Voodoo, the Wanga is Reynolds 631 tubing and has sliding dropouts (which means it’s great for singlespeeding too), or there’s the Bizango which is made from 853 and looks bloody lovely! Both designed around a 100mm fork rather than anything longer. Sideways Cycles had some of either going significantly cheaper than RRP recently.

Or again the Rock Lobster 853 worthy of consideration too.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Soma Groove,
    Kona Explosif

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ll say Cotic but then I’m biased. 🙂

if you wan to try one, its the big day out at Sherwood Pines in a couple of weekends time.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Rock Lobster 853. Light, and nimble.

Check pon:

Behold, the lightness and nimblitude…

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’d say a Cove Handjob and stick a nice light 100mm fork like a Reba on there and build it light, you have a 24-25lb XC HT then.

Mine has a Coil U-Turn Revelavtion on it, and build pretty sturdy (read Mavic 321’s on Deore Hubs, Race Face AM kit and Shimano 545 Pedals) comes in at 27lbs.

hora
    Free Member

Rock Lobster 853. Light, and nimble.

Check pon:

That dude looks like my school Geography teacher….he needs to ‘rad’ up and wear Animal etc 😆

jack
    Free Member

The Voodoo Bizango’s nice, 853, designed for a 100mm fork and rides a lot like Kona’s did when they were good. I bought one second hand but it was too big for me – I think sideways had some on offer?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘A nimble steel hard tail? Not hardcore or burly…’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts