Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 228 total)
  • A nice chat about faith?
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

So if evidence comes along that shows a god(s) exists you’ll change your mind. How is that not allowing the possibilty of god(s) existing?

‘Allowing the possibility’ is a bit disingenuous I think- it’s not true in any meaningful sense and implies that the alternative is actually on the table. It’s a bit of a stretch to say you’re allowing the possibility of something by acknowledging that you can’t strictly speaking disprove it. If that were the case we’d all be allowing the possibility of an infinite amount of old guff that anyone could dream up, which of course we’re not in any active or meaningful way.

I’ve got to agree with Woppit as well in that it’s also pretty disingenuous IME to say stuff like “He/She is in our hearts” or “maybe God is just a word for that feeling you get when you’re out in the mountains at sunrise, hmmm?”

I’m pretty sure people who come out with this stuff aren’t really saying “let’s give this thing a name and call it, oh, I dunno, ‘God’, although it could just as easily be ‘Dave’ or ‘Hefneg'”.

crankboy
    Free Member

While one cannot disprove the existence of God in the sense that it is impossible to prove a negative. One can define what a god is then posit how the world would be if a God of that description existed . Such an exercise tends to reveal an absence of God rather than a God shaped hole.

My favourite being that God to be God would be universal as in Omnipresent if so why has he not been recognised and worshiped in the same way across the globe throughout human history. See the total differences between the Inca Egyptian Greek/Roman and Abrahamic ideas of who god is and what God wants.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are lots of logical issues with the concept of God as described in the Bible. However, it may not be beneficial to pursue them 🙂

There are also plenty of alternative concepts to consider, but if they are not the subject of a religion then it’s probably not worth pursuing them either.

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

There is a great scene in True Detective (highly recommend btw) where Matthew Mcconaughey pretty wells sums my thoughts to a tea.
    For your viewing pleasure

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A8x73UW8Hjk&x-yt-ts=1422327029&list=PLCA55F50B155656BE&x-yt-cl=84838260[/video]

DaRC_L

One can define what a god is then posit how the world would be if a God of that description existed . Such an exercise tends to reveal an absence of God rather than a God shaped hole.

This is fake logic – as it assumes that all your descriptions of the ‘thing’ are correct.
    Philosophically even using the word God brings in the limitations of linguistics (God being a singular masculine word) and also assumes that the human experience of the world is non-subjective (i.e. is not limited by our own physical natures).

There may / may not be some sort of deity(ies) out there but if the evidence is hidden at some sort of quantum level (for example) then we’re a very long way from finding out.

Language is the flaw in many typical theists arguments.
    The limitations of our understanding of the natural world (aka science) is the flaw in most atheist arguments.

However (to go back to the OP) if science proves that having faith gives you a higher chance of survival to not having faith – in a scientific sense having faith is the correct evolutionary path.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Now my own suspicion is that the Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.

J. B. S. Haldane.

crankboy
    Free Member

“This is fake logic – as it assumes that all your descriptions of the ‘thing’ are correct.
    Philosophically even using the word God brings in the limitations of linguistics (God being a singular masculine word) and also assumes that the human experience of the world is non-subjective (i.e. is not limited by our own physical natures).”
    This really is flawed, we as subjective creatures have defined and worshiped a supreme being we call God it is perfectly logical to consider whether that being does or does not exist.

If you ask whether there may be as yet other entities that are in existence possibly at a quantum level or in the folds of the duvet multiverse, then yes we can entertain and analyse as best we can that concept but we have stopped talking about the existence of “God” in the human religious context and started talking about Hypothetical undefined entities .

GrahamS

but we have stopped talking about the existence of “God” in the human religious context and started talking about Hypothetical undefined entities .

Exactly. As has been said several times, not believing in deities does not equate to not believing in anything beyond our current understanding of the universe.

I’m not “limited” by our understanding of the universe, I’m simply informed by it.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    I’m afraid actually, it makes you an agnostic as I understand agnosticism
    Agnostic: A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/agnostic

That’s not me. I choose not to believe in the existence of deities or gods. That makes me an atheist. A person without theism.

I make that choice based on the evidence I see, therefore clearly I do believe that something CAN be known about the existence of gods. Which means I am not an agnostic.

Clear?
    I quite like you, you make a good argument, so I think I’ll help you out with some logic, you could even think God sent me to clarify your confusion, lets start with that first statement back there, the one where you say you choose not to believe but then go on to say you do believe that something can be known about the existence of gods, that is called ‘contradiction’ shall I look it up for you? 😉

Then lets look at our friend the agnostic according even to your Oxford English definition: ‘A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.’ that is a plain simple un contradictory statement.

It is why it is so logical, all you theists of both flavours are always contradictory when challenged, “oh I don’t believe in God(s), but I might if someone proves it, sorry you can’t say that, that’s a something else. Atheism is the rejection of belief in deities, there are none, nada.. Not or there might be.

You my friend really should redefine your description of yourself, come out, be agnostic, move to Brighton have parades, vote Green 😉

MrSalmon
    Free Member

oh I don’t believe in God(s), but I might if someone proves it, sorry you can’t say that

Eh? Why not?

I don’t believe there’s anywhere on the planet where gravity works backwards, but if it turned out there was I’d have to revise my belief wouldn’t I? Same thing, surely?

dereknightrider
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member
    oh I don’t believe in God(s), but I might if someone proves it, sorry you can’t say that
    Eh? Why not?

I don’t believe there’s anywhere on the planet where gravity works backwards, but if it turned out there was I’d have to revise my belief wouldn’t I? Same thing, surely?

Because the two words Atheist and Agnostic mean two different things, one deals with (dis)belief, the other deals with knowledge . That statement suggests a combination of both where actually none exists, if you are an Atheist your opinion is formed from belief whereas an Agnostic deals (more logically imv) in knowledge.

Technically all those believers should be referred to as Agnostic Theists, since they can’t possible know. The Day there is a ‘Gnostic’ Theist, is the day the problem is proved.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

if you are an Atheist your opinion is formed from belief

Nope. It’s formed by a lack of evidence. Why you no rissen?

crankboy
    Free Member

derrick im sure graham can speak for himself but he appears to have said he is an atheist he does not believe in God but he does concede the intellectual possibility of the existence of Hue. Hue is not God as anyone defines God in any Religion.

Cougar

Then lets look at our friend the agnostic according even to your Oxford English definition: ‘A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.’ that is a plain simple un contradictory statement.

If gods exist, then something can be known about them, we’ve just not found it yet. The only way they cannot be known about is it they don’t exist. And as this is what I believe, your dictionary definition of “agnostic” demonstrably doesn’t apply to me.

I reject the belief in deities. Absolutely. It’s fanciful nonsense. QED, atheist. The caveat that you’re so desperately clinging to, which is that in the hypothetical situation that one day a god or gods come riding in on a winged unicorn going “chocolate eggs for everyone!” then I will of course revise my opinion. That’s nothing because I’m a closet agnostic, it’s because we will have suddenly been presented with the evidence that has thus far been utterly lacking for millennia.

DaRC_L

Nope. It’s formed by a lack of evidence.

aka belief in a lack of evidence – not being able to prove something is not evidence in itself.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

No. (a)theist = (dis)Belief
    (a)gnostic = (without)knowledge

Sorry not my opinion, linguistic fact, it’s all Greek to me.. 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

Thomas Henry Huxley said:[12][13]

Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle … Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable.

According to philosopher William L. Rowe, in the strict sense, agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist.

So if you form the view that there are sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that God does not exist you are an atheist . If you concede that were there to be fresh evidence that demonstrated that god existed you would review your position you are both an Athiest and a Scientist and not a dogmatist .

molgrips
    Free Member

Pwned.

Cougar

if you are an Atheist your opinion is formed from belief

I don’t need “belief” to dismiss the idea that gods, hobbits, Spongebob Squarepants or Santa Claus are actually real. The burden of proof is not on me to justify rejecting fairy stories, it’s on the people making wild claims to back them up.

Technically all those believers should be referred to as Agnostic Theists, since they can’t possible know

Why is it so important to you to score this point? You’ve been trotting out this same trollish bobbins for years on the previous accounts you’ve had banned. You can call us banana sandwiches for the difference it makes, it doesn’t change what anyone thinks, believes or knows.

GrahamS

There is no contradiction there. If you think there is then you misunderstand my argument.

oh I don’t believe in God(s), but I might if someone proves it, sorry you can’t say that, that’s a something else.

No, it really isn’t.

I don’t believe in gods based on the evidence I see. That makes me an atheist.

If new evidence emerges that convinces me otherwise then I may decide I am no longer atheist. That makes me reasonable.

It absolutely DOES NOT make me agnostic.

An agnostic cannot change their mind based on evidence (and still remain an agnostic) because an agnostic is someone who believes that it is not possible to know anything about the existence of gods, regardless of the evidence.

Agnosticism does not mean “maybe”, it means “that is forever unknowable”.

So even if a shiny guy with a very convincing beard appeared on a cloud and started doing lots of God-things like resurrecting the dead, causing floods and plagues, forming planets and creating new life from clay then an agnostic would still say “We cannot know that he is a god”.

Whereas I might say “Hmm… looks like I was wrong. That bloke meets the description of a deity, so I guess I now believe in at least one deity” and at that point I would stop being an atheist.

crankboy
    Free Member

Derick your Greek and logic is a little confused A -without Theist- belief. The absence of a belief is not in itself a belief as a settled state for ever na na na . It is an absence. Agnostic is a one word label attached to a subtle nuanced philosophy and you get nowhere other than semantic point scoring to try and over analyse the Greek etymology of that one word.

DaRC_L

given the length of this article on the meaning of Gnosticism the simplistic attempts to pwn what Gnosticism is becomes a philosophical discussion.

crankboy favours the Huxley interpretation.

Edit – although this seems more interesting

Modern sexual magic began with Paschal Beverly Randolph.[20] The connection to Gnosticism came by way of the French Gnostic Church with its close ties to the strong esoteric current in France, being part of the same highly interconnected milieu of esoteric societies and orders from which the most influential of sexual magic orders arose, the Ordo Templi Orientis (Order of Oriental Templars, OTO).

from here

dereknightrider
    Free Member

Derek Knight Rider said:

Agnosticism can be simply stated as not knowing or having knowledge about God(s) it is a statement of personal knowledge. A weak minded agnostic may not know for sure but does not preclude that such knowledge can be obtained. On the other hand a strong minded Agnostic does not accept that knowledge about God(s) is possible.

Atheism is the absolute belief that there is no God, Deity and that all things concerning such are human constructs, myths and legends.

There is however clearly a third alternative

Afencesittism is the belief that whilst it is currently fashionable to deny the belief in God, deities myths and legends, if at some time in the future such evidence of existence should arise then a rapid reversion to theism may occur.

crankboy
    Free Member

“given the length of this article on the meaning of Gnosticism the simplistic attempts to pwn what Gnosticism is becomes a philosophical discussion.

crankboy favours the Huxley interpretation. “

Flattered you have analysed my half thought through diversions but given I am 255 pages into a realy complex work thing, can you briefly summarise what Gnosticism is and what Huxley said ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Agnosticism isn’t the opposite of gnosticism though is it? Don’t try and be too overly analytical of the linguistic terms here – they are just labels, as said above, and not subject to rigorous nomenclature.

The burden of proof is not on me to justify rejecting fairy stories

Sure, but that’s not the issue. It’s not about the ‘fairy’ stories as you somewhat scathingly describe them – it’s about the possibility that there is some external intelligence responsible for or at least involved in all this.

That is a much more difficult question, and I think neither science nor religion has much claim on the answer.

yunki
    Free Member

I tend towards Buddhism and having faith in myself and my friends 🙂

GrahamS

Derek Knight Rider said:

*a bunch of new definitions that do not match those in a dictionary*

If you are going to redefine what words mean then you might as well argue that I am French. 😆

crankboy
    Free Member

Afencesittism by your own definition would appear to be agnostic.

you really don’t get the absence of belief point do you and I appear to now be arguing more about how you chose to define words and concepts rather than whether or not God exists. He doesn’t by the way but I do enjoy his regular tweets.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are going to redefine what words mean then you might as well argue that I am French.

Not really. Some words have strict definitions, some do not. Surely you’ve realised this over the years?

dereknightrider
    Free Member

crankboy – Member
    Afencesittism by your own definition would appear to be agnostic.

you really don’t get the absence of belief point do you and I appear to now be arguing more about how you chose to define words and concepts rather than whether or not God exists. He doesn’t by the way but I do enjoy his regular tweets.

No, I suppose I don’t, and if truth be told I have no idea how to describe the way I think, it is certainly none of these things, but I do like to challenge Atheism as can be observed, given the logic I’ve already wasted everyone’s time describing.

We can’t know though can we? We’re mortal, one day something is going to occur that will either enlighten us totally or put us out of our misery and it won’t matter much anyway.

So I tend to wrongly ascribe the Atheism view to the no life after death assumption as well, that could equally be wrong, but so often we are taught the two go hand in hand, God and the afterlife, i.e You can’t have one without the other.

Whereas I like to hope there is more but whilst we’re here we can’t know therefor agnostic can be the only label I can apply to me, but I am hopeful that we are a universal consciousness that travels the Universe like a radio message looking for suitable receivers in mortal form to dial into.

Anyway that’s it really it just an opinion, nothing more or less and GrahamS i respect that last description and get it, but I wouldn’t hold your breath I don’t think your days of Atheism are likely to end this side of the grave.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Afencesittism is the belief that whilst it is currently fashionable to deny the belief in God

I do not deny the belief in ‘God’. Who would deny a belief in ‘God’? The evidence for belief is all around us.

Sounds like you’re trolling (especially with your carefully chosen and unreferenced ‘definitions’) but I’ll bite.

Not entirely fitting yr first two definitions so I’m only left with the third. Don’t fit there either. I only care about ‘fashion’ inasmuch as it’s currently out of fashion (in my secular country) to either punish or kill me for not having any belief in a prescribed deity. ie We left theocracy behind for now. I am very lucky (historical context) for the freedom to think and believe freely.

My lack of belief in any deity is not driven remotely by my own concern for fashionable philosophies. My parents allowed me to decide for myself, I studied (in mostly layman’s terms except for A level psychology) comparative religion, history, anthropology, psychology and biology. I looked at all the evidence available and I’m entirely convinced that ‘deities’ are a projection of ourselves, cooked up wholly by ourselves in absence of other explanations for (among other things) ‘big questions’, societal control and fear of death. I have not been lazy in arriving at this disbelief/belief (call it what you will)

The burden of proof must surely be on those introducing the ‘deity’, just as the burden of proof is on me should I claim that a ‘ghost’ called Derek is controlling everyone’s thought patterns from a laundry basket someplace beyond our ‘ken.

molgrips
    Free Member

The burden of proof must surely be on those introducing the ‘deity’

Oh go on then – why?

GrahamS

I wouldn’t hold your breath I don’t think your days of Atheism are likely to end this side of the grave.

You never know:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8-8WJxA-cI[/video]

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh go on then – why?

Tax breaks 😉

gonefishin
    Free Member

Oh go on then – why?

Because it’s no different to any other claim. You don’t, or at least shouldn’t, start with the assumption that your claim is correct as to do that would invite the acceptance of all sorts of unfallsifiable nonsense.

6079smithw
    Free Member

People who don’t know that faeries are real aren’t worth talking to

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t, or at least shouldn’t, start with the assumption that your claim is correct as to do that would invite the acceptance of all sorts of unfallsifiable nonsense.

But that goes for the claim that there is no god just as much as the claim there is one.

pondo

I know some lovely people of ‘faith’ in fact a good friend is a lady vicar. But also some right twonks, a couple of whom hide behind there alleged religions as an excuse for some outright bad behaviour.

On the other hand I know some really mellow and charitable atheists, who in most societies would be pegged as ‘religious’ because of what they get up to, but they just love humanity.
    I also know some right pricks who are atheists. One especially who’s views have really wound me right up recently!

So, in conclusion, it takes all sorts
    That’s sort of where I’m at, really. Just think it’s a mistake to judge people based on a simple label such as “religious belief = whatever”, people are a bit more nuanced than that.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oh go on then – why?

Beyond tax exemption I really don’t want to post any links to killings, mutilations, restrictions, ‘exorcisms’ and other punishments carried out and (often with legal impunity) predicated on claims for the existence/inviolate laws/nature of a ‘deity’. It really is critically depressing for me to consider or view such things. I am ideologically so far removed from those who would do these things that I can’t ever see it being bridged. And still no evidence that would stand up in court (hence theocratic courts, see?)

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Whether god is or is not is irrelevant. Belief in god is the questionable issue here.
    Belief is an affirmation, a repetition of what one adheres to for comfort out of fear. When one believes in something other possibilities are graded, locked out etc. Belief in god therefore is belief in ideas of their god or someone elses, as in the case of religion.

You could argue that one who believes in god and one who believes god does not exist, both share the same misfortune as their mind is not free to be.

GOD or what ever name it is, must be everything (otherwise there is a god and there is everything else, which is illogical) You cannot believe in everything.
    So take god out of the equation and belief.
    Everything
    which includes you.

Give it a name, I like Tao, teapot seems popular as well.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘A nice chat about faith?’ is closed to new replies.