Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 228 total)
  • A nice chat about faith?
  • dereknightrider
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    dereknightrider: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

Ah, but they might have a teapot on the International Spacestation. 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

It’s the pleasant ones you have to look out for.

Some people are genuinely pleasant and nice, of faith and of no faith other are outwardly pleasant but judgmental and horrid in reality but I don’t think you can tell that because they look pleasant and are of faith that they are nasty.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah, but they might have a teapot on the International Spacestation.

a quick call should verify if they do or not, if I was claiming there was one I could get a photo of it or maybe get it on a live video link to prove it’s existence.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Some people are genuinely pleasant and nice, of faith and of no faith other are outwardly pleasant but judgmental and horrid in reality but I don’t think you can tell that because they look pleasant and are of faith that they are nasty.

10 quid says that there will be more UKIP voters found in any given church on a Sunday in comparison the normal population, at a statistically significant level.

Unless it’s a church full of Nigerian immigrants etc. :mrgreen:

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Buohahahahah.

Anglicans are the group most likely to vote UKIP; this is clearly a demographic where Farage’s party is badly hurting the Conservatives. 18.3% of Anglicans plan to vote for UKIP at the next general election.

http://www.secularism.org.uk/blog/2014/10/new-data-revealed-on-2015-voting-intentions-of-non-believers

I rest my case, if I walk into an Anglican church I can automatically assume that 1 in 5 of them is a ****.

TheBrick
    Free Member

10 quid says that there will be more UKIP voters found in any given church on a Sunday in comparison the normal population, at a statistically significant level.

Unless it’s a church full of Nigerian immigrants etc.

Ha! Quite possible ture.

I wonder how that stat would hold up if you normalised for the age bias that both UKIP and Anglican church congregations have?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I wonder how that stat would hold up if you normalised for the age bias that both UKIP and Anglican church congregations have?

There is that.

Damn you, it’s just old people I hate then. :mrgreen:

jambalaya
    Free Member

Faith is not a dirty word, some here try to make it one but it’s not. A world without faith would be a lesser place.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

and here’s Richard being, er, strident…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW7607YiBso[/video]

A world without faith would be a lesser better place.

How divine.

MoreCashThanDash

Can’t decide if the OP is being very brave/naive posting that on here or if he is trolling.

Shame that it brings out all the shouty antireligious types to mock.

Have to agree, I have not met a person of any faith – Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Jews – that have been in any way intolerant or antagonistic to people of other faiths or people like me with no faith. I know the intolerant zealots exist in all faiths, just I’ve not met any.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    Faith is not a dirty word, some here try to make it one but it’s not. A world without faith would be a lesser place.

I’d echo that, with the caveat that it does make some folk more easy to manipulate, and not always in a good way.
    I do think we all need something to believe in and didn’t hesitate putting my kids through the mill, they then, like the rest of us have their doubts and seek other ideas, but it still comes down to the basic fact that we can’t ever know for sure on this mortal coil.

wilburt
    Free Member

They have to appear nice otherwise the kids wouldnt trust em.

hora
    Free Member

I’m not religious but I was sat in the sauna talking to three Muslims a couple of weeks ago talking about faith/ISIL etc and I said ‘I’m not religious but when I’m in the middle of woods on a Sunday morning I feel closer to God’. One said that was beautiful.

That is me.

MoreCashThanDash

OMG, I’ve just agreed with jambalaya!

Faith can truly bring people together

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh, the ironing. 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’d echo that, with the caveat that it does make some folk more easy to manipulate, and not always in a good way.

So, not, then…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Faith can truly bring people together

So can traffic jams. So what?

footflaps

On a more serious note, how would you know if you’d met a Quaker?

FOG

Like I suspect most people I have no interest in religion except where it affects me and mine. However this can manifest itself in different ways. There are bishops in the House of Lords, there are faith schools and Iam sure governments do occasionally listen to faith charities. This is not necessarily bad, churches are hopefully looking out for poor people but we need to be careful. For instance large areas of the city I live in have only recently acquired pubs as the council back in the day were Methodists!

hora
    Free Member

German Army in WWI ‘we have God on our side’
    British Army in WWI ‘we have God on our side’

So if hes on both sides?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“He’s”, er, not…

andyfla
    Free Member

Personally I think anything that makes you feel better and kinder towards the world and people around you, be it a single god, a melange of gods or a spagetti bowl of them, then good on you.

I have always felt religion is great, until people get involved.

Going back to the teaching or RE, i was taught by catholic monks and used to get really pissed off when they couldnt asnswer a question they just said that you need to have faith – AAAAAAAAAGH

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I used to believe when I was younger based on Fear of burning for eternity (not love/compassion/faith) but don’t now after 50yrs of seeing what its all really about (Control/Fear OH and Money) and so for That reason ‘Im out’.
    I just try to live my life being as nice as possible and helping people when and where I can, and im sure we’ll ALL find out one day 🙂
    and im sure IF there is a Big invisible man in the sky he/she will understand my reasoning 😆

johnx2
    Free Member

It’s the pleasant ones you have to look out for. Those are the ones who burn crosses on peoples lawns, hang black people, lynch gay people or gas Jews for the lolz.

They are pleasant because they would rather follow social convention or herd mentality, which leads to the above. They aren’t actually nice people, they just seem it on the surface.

That’s like saying ban politics because of the naz… whoops, I mean because of stalin. Near Godwin. The point is to have nice politics…

Anyway, being nice on the surface is good enough for me, who knows/cares what folk are like deep down? If being a Quaker, Buddhist, provisional wing of the CoE or other religions that say the nice will inherit the earth makes the ‘social convention’ folk act nicer than they otherwise would, isn’t this a good thing?

mt
    Free Member

According to George Michael “you got to have faith” so there.

RayMazey
    Free Member

From my school in the 60’s (and this is true) –

Good morning boys, I am Mr Davies your new RI teacher.

Good morning Mr Davis.

Ok before we proceed with this mornings lesson, I would like to know if anyone one amongst you does not believe in God?

School rebel Mike X – I don’t believe in God Mr Davies

(Mr Davies) Could you please come hear.

At this point Mr Davies knocks Mike x all round the classroom with some serious physical contact.

(Mr Davies) Do you believe in God now Michael ?

(Mike X) – Yes Mr Davies.

(Mr Davies) OK go and sit down, so we can continue with the lesson

:o(

GrahamS

Harsh. My RE teacher (in the 80s) was very much the nice jumper-wearing type, but contrary to ajantom’s points she was very clearly Christian and taught us RE on the basis of “Let’s spending five minutes laughing at what these silly foreign people believe. Look their God is an elephant! Right, now here’s the real truth.” 😕

Shame, despite not being religious I do think that learning about religions can be a valuable insight into other philosophies and cultures.

I’d like to believe that things have changed, but our four year old attends a supposedly secular state school said to me the other day “Daddy I know a story that is actually really true. Really. God made people out of clay. [Headmistress] told us.” 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep Religious Education should be learning and studying religion not practicing one of them.

MoreCashThanDash

By the age of 5 my lad came home from his very CofE school and said “There isn’t really a God is there?”

I was really proud of him, and it opened up an easy conversation about how the important thing is to be nice to each other.

miketually
    Free Member

Have to agree, I have not met a person of any faith – Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Jews – that have been in any way intolerant or antagonistic to people of other faiths or people like me with no faith. I know the intolerant zealots exist in all faiths, just I’ve not met any.

I’ve met several thoroughly unpleasant Christians. Hope that helps.

Cougar

So it does, all one of them.

In fact, the number of shouty anti-religious types on this thread is fewer than the number of people complaining about them.

hora
    Free Member

TBH my personal experience of religious people stopped me from completely going off the rails. I met some real strong/good role models who had strong faith. Who gave up their spare time from busy lives/with children to improve and help those around them.

When we hear of religion we all seem to think of the negative side and not the good that it can also bring out in people.

Cougar

Anyway.

This whole religious / non-religious people are this, that and the other is a load of pish. It’s a rash generalisation, we’re attaching a label to the demographic of ‘people’ and then trying to prove a point with it.

The fact of the matter is much simpler. Some people are nice, some people are not so nice. Some are downright bloody nasty. Some help their fellow man, some are generous to a fault, some are wholly self-centred. All of this is irrespective of whether they’re religious, irreligious or anti-religious; so cherry-picking “oh, my mate Geoff is an Atheist / Christian / Seventh Day Advent Hoppist and he’s lovely” is pointless.

Religion does have powers of persuasion (by definition, otherwise it would’ve gone away by now) and so it’s possible that some chapters may seek to better people, and equally some may have the opposite goal. But they’re not mutually dependant; any community (or even a personal desire to better yourself) can promote personal growth, and conversely it’s quite possible to attend churches, clubs, community centres and still be a shithead.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TBH my personal experience of religious people stopped me from completely going off the rails. I met some real strong/good role models who had strong faith. Who gave up their spare time from busy lives/with children to improve and help those around them.

Must just be a nice human thing as the ones I’ve met are not religious.
    Correlation vs causation time again?

slowoldman

and im sure IF there is a Big invisible man in the sky he/she will understand my reasoning

Well that depends. Apparently he can be merciful and/or jealous, so you need to catch him on a good day.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I don’t go to church, I did get married in one – some of my mates are very keen Christians, but I think of myself more humanistic with a moral code based on Christianity because that’s what we had in school.

My 2p:

I’ve met a few religious types who want to save the rest of us, but they’re very much in the minority and typically have some sort of mild mental health issue to accompany it – their faith is typically just a tool they use to justify their actions – I put the current crop of psychopaths and plain evil **** murdering people in the same broad category, although their condition is anything but “mild” -it’s not about faith in the same way ‘The Troubles’ had nothing to do with Catholics and Protestants – it’s more to do with control and frankly – well we brought it on ourselves (Western World) we created the perfect breeding ground for it.

A lot of people have used Faith to serve themselves from the creation of the CoE largely so he could remarry and all the murdering that went along with it – to the persecution of Buddhists in China and Tibet when China declared Religion to be poison and all that.

But in the grand scheme of things Religion has been a hugely positive thing for the human race – people will genuinely try their best to help people they’ve never met because it’s the right thing to do – not because they’re told to or because they think they’ll be rewarded.

Different Faiths do indeed feed the hungry and shelter the poor.

In my experience the most vocal people when it comes to religion are those who call themselves Atheists or whathaveyou (I see there’s some argument over the terms) they’re the first to start soapboxing, the most certain that people with different views need to be saved – some have their reasons, some have decided it because of reasoned thought – but quite a lot (IMO) are just to arrogant to accept their might be a higher power than their own.

andyfla
    Free Member

but quite a lot (IMO) are just to arrogant to accept their might be a higher power than their own

personally it has more to do with the fact that as science has progressed there is no indication that he exists. *edit – I find the universe humbling enough
    Being Catholic by birth I find the hypocracy that has gone on in the hierachy there quite breathtaking – although Francis seems to be going in the right direction.
    As I said religion is great until people become involved

GrahamS

just to arrogant to accept their might be a higher power than their own.

You’re stepping into territory that dereknightrider and TheBrick touched on there.

I doubt that many, if any, atheists would be short-sighted enough to think that humans were the absolute pinnacle of evolution and the very best possible thing that the universe is capable of.

We only have a sample size of one habitable planet and there are potentially billions upon billions of them out there.

Atheism doesn’t reject that. Neither does it arrogantly state that we know everything (as dereknightrider tried to imply).

Atheism is just the rejection of a belief in religious deities – nothing more.

LHS
    Free Member

that the people I meet at church-I accompany Mrs.C now and again-are often the most decent, kind and helpful people I know.

I think church goers are like all cross sections of the community. You get some gooduns and you get some baduns. For me, my experience of church goers is the complete opposite and couldn’t possibly have found a more vile, back stabbing self-righteous cross-section of community if I had tried.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘A nice chat about faith?’ is closed to new replies.