Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 228 total)
  • A nice chat about faith?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed hora, too many look in the wrong direction!

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Allah

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross, but He
    was not there; I went to the Temple of the
    Hindus and to the old pagodas, but I could not
    find a trace of Him anywhere.

I searched on the mountains and in the valleys
    but neither in the heights nor in the depths was I
    able to find Him. I went to the Ka’bah in Mecca,
    but He was not there either.

I questioned the scholars and philosophers but
    He was beyond their understanding.

I then looked into my heart and it was there
    where He dwelled that I saw Him; He was
    nowhere else to be found.

The most beautiful poetry in the world.

Why is God in belief always a HE?

hora
    Free Member

Some people refer to mother nature.

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Which is considered secondary to god.
    “It”, “that” etc seems a better description imo
    Not many religions would accept that though

hora
    Free Member

One day Pedants will rule the earth.

When you stop analysing and looking for holes within life and existance you can relax and enjoy.

GrahamS

Why is God in belief always a HE?

Only in Judaoe Christian religions as I understand it.
    Plenty of female Godesses in other religions, as well as animals, elements, celestial bodies etc.

I’m not sure people generally use that to refer to an actual female deity though. I certainly don’t. For me it is just a shorthand for natural processes like weather systems or evolution.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

And the thing all the theists always seem to overlook is, this is not a static belief. Atheism doesn’t imply a closed mind, it’s a current standpoint based on available information, and is open to change as new information and evidence comes to light. This is how science works, kids!

Nope. As you stated earlier, atheism is the rejection in the belief of god(s). Not “rejection in the belief of god(s) until proof comes along from science or something”
    What you have there is agnosticism.

No shame in that. No need for absolutes.

CountZero

I find this pretty much covers what I’ve believed most of my life. I don’t use the ‘G’-word, however…
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism
    Cougar, your search for the tea pot could be over:
    http://www.teahouseemporium.co.uk
    I actually have one of these from that very emporium:

Flying teapots, you say?

GrahamS

Nope. As you stated earlier, atheism is the rejection in the belief of god(s). Not “rejection in the belief of god(s) until proof comes along from science or something”

Nope. I am an aetheist. I don’t believe in the existence of deities.

If some compelling evidence comes along to convince me otherwise then I’ll change my mind and I will no longer be an atheist. That doesn’t make me an agnostic, it makes me someone who is prepared to change their mind in the face of new evidence.

Likewise you might identify yourself as Christian. But if the elephant God Ganesh showed up in person and started doing miracles and shizzle then you might change your mind and become Hindu.

That doesn’t mean you are not Christian or that you are secretly a bit Hindu.

No need for absolutes.

Indeed.

miketually
    Free Member

As you stated earlier, atheism is the rejection in the belief of god(s).

Atheism is the absence of belief, not the rejection. I have never rejected a belief in god because, as far as I can remember, I’ve never had one to reject.

Not “rejection in the belief of god(s) until proof comes along from science or something”

Agnosticism, as has been pointed out several times, is a position on the possibility of knowing if a god or gods exist, not half way between belief and non-belief.

AdamW
    Free Member

I’m with Ro5ey, OP. BUT

You should try at least ten more gods or so before the christian one. You could start wit HUAI-NANZU who was a Chinese immortality god. Loads to choose from.

Have a look at godchecker as there are over 3,000 other gods!

chewkw
    Free Member

crankboy – Member

“Why is she so fixated with sex (her biography)? I sense a bureaucrat in her”

perhaps if you could read better you would see she is not a bureaucrat but a “sex writer” possibly that is why she mentions sex in terms of what she has done in life , a biography generally being the story of ones life. [/quote]

(please note I am making a lot of assuming about this author as I am extrapolating her intention and the possibility of her intentions)

No, no, anyone that says this is good for you or that is bad for you by pretending to be an expert is a closet bureaucrat. A bit like slowly slowly catchee monkey … Also just because whatever she has done is not something everyone cares to be honest. Constantly fixated on sex and going on and on about sex … FFS! We on this planet multiple ourselves to death and she wants to lecture us about sex? We are animal and out natural instinct is to reproduce by passing down our genes … I bet she will now consider herself to be victim the moment attention is focused on her then retaliate by saing .. “look at me! look at me! I am lesbian! We are wife and wife! … ya, right at least you are doing the right thing by not passing down your gene to populate the already populated planet. 🙄

FeeFoo
    Free Member

How is this:

Agnosticism, as has been pointed out several times, is a position on the possibility of knowing if a god or gods exist, not half way between belief and non-belief

Any different to this:

If some compelling evidence comes along to convince me otherwise then I’ll change my mind and I will no longer be an atheist. That doesn’t make me an agnostic, it makes me someone who is prepared to change their mind in the face of new evidence.

So if evidence comes along that shows a god(s) exists you’ll change your mind. How is that not allowing the possibilty of god(s) existing?

Other than a badge to wear, I’m not sure why anyone would logically be either a theist or atheist.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Allah

I tried to find Him on the Christian cross, but He
    was not there; I went to the Temple of the
    Hindus and to the old pagodas, but I could not
    find a trace of Him anywhere.

I searched on the mountains and in the valleys
    but neither in the heights nor in the depths was I
    able to find Him. I went to the Ka’bah in Mecca,
    but He was not there either.

I questioned the scholars and philosophers but
    He was beyond their understanding.

where He dwelled that I saw Him; He was
    nowhere else to be found.

The most beautiful poetry in the world.

Horah – peace be upon him, a true prophet, tell us of the teapot oh blessed one.

dereknightrider
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Nope. I am an aetheist. I don’t believe in the existence of deities.

Er no, I’m afraid actually, it makes you an agnostic as I understand agnosticism.

But hey wasn’t it you that begat the prophet Hora of teapot fame with your earlier elucidation? 😉

poah
    Free Member

I’m a Existential nihilist.

GrahamS

I’m afraid actually, it makes you an agnostic as I understand agnosticism

Agnostic: A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/agnostic

That’s not me. I choose not to believe in the existence of deities or gods. That makes me an atheist. A person without theism.

I make that choice based on the evidence I see, therefore clearly I do believe that something CAN be known about the existence of gods. Which means I am not an agnostic.

Clear?

stevedoc
    Free Member

That was some read ..

I was going to post some long winded drivel about Noah being 500 years old when he shoved cats and dogs in the same boat for a year because the locals got a little restless , (in the same respect were all doomed ) But for me the Bible is full of contradictions, and has been re-written so many times to keep the locals in check , Perhaps in theory at the time it was a way for people to conduct themselves in a manor befitting others with respect,

Me I believe ,there might be a God, some proof would be nice , there might not be ,but what I do believe wholeheartedly is people should keep their faith to themselves ,not use it as an excuse to rage war ,kill ,or harm others in his, hers, or Its name

tinribz
    Free Member

A statistically significantly higher percentage of prisoners are religious than non religous when compared to the general population. That fact conclusively answers the OP’s original assertion that church is the place to meet nice people.

[/end thread]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m still a little confused about the atheists are angry bit, just like the OP’s sweeping generalisation that religious people are nice (skipping the oppression of women, persecution of various groups that are different, twisting of region to incite violence etc.) it’s just not that true. To follow up the atheists are angry with heaps of ram it down you religion is awesome your the ones that are missing something stuff really helps the cause there. For all those that found something maybe it’s time to let go of it.

I’ll live my life, I won’t judge your beliefs you are entitled to them so long as they are yours and not being pushed onto others.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m an absurdist, apparently.

ourmaninthenorth

This has to be one of the most fantastically 6th form threads on here for some time. Keep it up!

Cougar

Well said Ro5ey

For all that we may disagree, Ro5ey is consistently entertaining and interesting, and I applaud his attitude.

Atheism is the absence of belief, not the rejection. I have never rejected a belief in god because, as far as I can remember, I’ve never had one to reject.

I was raised to make my own discoveries. A family friend used to give me Jesus comics, with a back page where you could buy your own “good news glove” with multi-coloured fingers. At the time I was young enough to believe adults and found it fascinating.

In the grand scheme of things I was never ‘religious’ per se, but I was certainly exposed to concepts which, as an adult, I reject.

Off the top of my head I reckon you need another four zeros on that figure.

Cougar

And,

No shame in that. No need for absolutes.

No. I’m atheist right now. If situations change, if new evidence presents itself then I may progress to agnostic or even some form of theist. But right now (for reasons I’ve explained) I’m atheist.

Arguing that because I don’t believe but have an open mind I’m agnostic screams of special pleading from the theists. “Yes, but you’re not reeeaaally atheist are you, you’re secretly one of us…” It’s point scoring and, frankly, a bit sad.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was brought up with the standard UK we are all christians schooling but parents never really pushed it (only went to church when my mother was applying for jobs at church schools). I can see why they get a good conversion rate as if you teach it as the norm from the age of 4 then some will stick. Other religions were treated as something to point a bit at and understand that they might believe that but ours is right….
    I guess for most who identify as Christian they would identify as Muslim, Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist if they had been born somewhere else.

CountZero

I was raised to make my own discoveries.

Yeah, likewise; schoolmates all seemed to go to something called ‘Sunday School’, which struck me as a bit strange, I mean, we were at school five days a week, who could possibly want to waste a Sunday going to another school?
    I was at a loss trying to understand the logic.

If you’re going to hedge your bets, the donations are going to be crippling!
    Along with the amount of time going to all the various places of worship.
    I’ll stick with Pantheism, so much simpler viewing the entire universe as a living thing we’re all just part of.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Though if I did have to pick one for an afterlife etc. then I think you can’t go too far wrong with this lot

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Other than a badge to wear, I’m not sure why anyone would logically be either a theist or atheist.

Put it this way –

I have no belief in any ‘deity’, I believe all the ones mentioned to be human inventions (ie disbelieve owing to lack of evidence for such creatures, notwithstanding the overwhelming wealth of evidence showing them to be of human invention). I also think it unlikely that any supernatural ‘deity’ such as described actually exists, but am open to change my mind given any new overwhelming evidence

I don’t require a label, yet, ‘logically’ what would my position be known as?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

LOL… missed that one
    I don’t like nuts, lots of people who like nuts don’t get it. I could go into detail and explain my reasons every time but sometimes I get bored and just say allergy. It’s quicker and easier.
    Same as when people can’t comprehend that you don’t share their view on other things, it’s easier to have one word that answers the question.

slowoldman

I’ll live my life, I won’t judge your beliefs you are entitled to them so long as they are yours and not being pushed onto others

That’s the nature of evangelism. There are people hereabouts who bang on about the advantages of different wheel sizes. Surely they can’t all be right?

hora
    Free Member

At horaJnrs school I noticed the church (cough) school had placed a cartoon book in his satchel. In it depicted the angels rising over mons on the battlefield and the miracle that occurred there.

I stopped myself from correcting them about the true story of the event. Whats the point?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

There are people hereabouts who bang on about the advantages of different wheel sizes. Surely they can’t all be right?

That’s faith bolstered with science. If the position is still felt to be insecure then use pseudoscience. If there is no good result via pseudoscience then fall back on faith alone. If faith alone isn’t working then besmirch those without faith. And around it goes

Here by the grace of secularism go I*

(*On my 26ers/20ers and sometimes 700cers – all welcome in my Church of Bike)

GrahamS

In it depicted the angles rising over mons and the miracle that occurred there.

Photo realistic picture of some Angles Rising Over a Mons:

Edit: boo, amusement spoilt by a ninja edit 🙂

andyfla
    Free Member

the angels rising over mons on the battlefield and the miracle that occurred there.

Interesting that no-one who fought there wrote about it – and Arthur Machen wrote a short story about such a thing just after Mons …. hmmm is religion jumping on fiction here ? surely not ……

hora
    Free Member

Even the author of this tried telling the papers (at the time) etc that it was fictional but eventually gave up.

GrahamS

I stopped myself from correcting them about the true story of the event. Whats the point?

It would bother me if they were teaching my children fiction as fact.

But if it was just a cartoon illustrating a story then that’d be fine by me. As long as it was clear it was just a story.

In the same way I am happy for my kids to be taught about religion. In fact I think it is important. Just as long as it is taught as “This is what some people believe”, rather than “This is what we/you believe”. Sadly the latter seems very prevalent.

molgrips
    Free Member

Arguing that because I don’t believe but have an open mind I’m agnostic screams of special pleading from the theists. “Yes, but you’re not reeeaaally atheist are you, you’re secretly one of us…” It’s point scoring and, frankly, a bit sad.

I don’t think so.. just seems like semantics to me. We’ve all set our positions out, we just don’t know what name to apply.

GrahamS

We’ve all set our positions out, we just don’t know what name to apply.

I’m pretty clear what name applies to me: atheist.

But for some reason a couple of other people seem keen to tell me what I really believe and what I really am. 😕

MrWoppit
    Free Member

where He dwelled that I saw Him

Let’s suppose that you’re talking about your “innermost self” – a concept created by your self-aware intelligence – and not the actual organ that pumps your blood around.

Mate, that’s not a “god” – that’s YOU.

Perhaps you might want to consider that this concept itself – “I” – is a result of the interaction of various parts of your brain that mostly function as separate independent process engines (we know this because it is evidenced) then you can grasp that even this – the concept of “I” – is an illusion of the imagination, plus everything generated from it including ideas about gods and the like.

As a tool to measure and observe the universe and agree on the results (that includes ourselves and what makes us ourselves), our conciousness is unparalleled. At least, on this planet.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

hora – Member
    At horaJnrs school I noticed the church (cough) school had placed a cartoon book in his satchel. In it depicted the angels rising over mons on the battlefield and the miracle that occurred there.

I believe the current solution to cartoons of a religious nature that you dislike is an AK47, but that is another thread.

don’t think so.. just seems like semantics to me.

But for some reason a couple of other people seem keen to tell me what I really believe and what I really am.

Yep there are 3 dictionary definitions, I posted atheist and agnostic back on page 2, read them and tell us which one you are. Probably the same as calling Yorkshire and Lancashire the same thing as they are both north of Watrford…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘A nice chat about faith?’ is closed to new replies.