Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A new low: question about bus stops
  • BoardinBob

Before I go postal with the local council I thought I’d tap the fountain of STW knowledge first.

Just before the entrance to my street there is a layby with a bus stop in it. Buses could pull in, drop people off, pick people up, traffic could get past and everything was generally good.

Now the bus stop has been removed from the layby and placed about 15 feet away from the entrance to my street. This now means that whenever a bus stops, traffic can’t get past, and you cant enter or leave my street as the bus is blocking the entrance.

I’m hoping someone knows the legalities of bus stops before I go off on one at the council. Surely it can’t be legal to place a bus stop in such a way that the buses block access?

druidh
    Free Member

No issues about it blocking the street it is on. Edinburgh did that so that the buses were faster (by not having to pull out into traffic and not letting all the traffic behind them past). Bit of a funny one about it blocking another street though.

BoardinBob

Yeah I can understand it blocking the traffic behind it, but for it to be effectively parked across the entrance to my street is a major pain, and if there is more than one bus waiting to get to the stop, you can be damn sure they aint letting me out first so I’m left sitting there until they’ve stopped at the bus stop.

hels
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to get a vigilante gang together and move it back ??

Kunstler

Guerilla town planning. I like it.

rocketman
    Free Member

sorry thought this was about trail bus stops…

project
    Free Member

London was one of the first to adopt this, and a very good idea it is, it speeds up public transport no end,buses are also only allowed to let passengers alight and depart from the vehicle at designated bus stops, agreed with the police and local council.

Its usually a council matter as bus comapnies just run the buses and dont provide the infrastructure, perhaps the op, could try using the bus which is so conveient for his front door.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ll never understand road planning. Recently they swapped the parking from one side to the other on a hill near my work. From the side with no side roads or bus stops to the side where there’s dozens of side roads and bus-stops. They then built out the pavements into the lane. So now what you get is people have to nose out into the parked cars to try to get into the main road, the build-outs get stacks of pedestrians gathering on them making seeing even harder. The whole lot seems to have done nothing but make the road more dangerous and harder to navigate.

project
    Free Member

Theyre called build outs, and they make the road into a series of parking bays,so you cant undertake ibnto a side lane, safer for us cyclists, they also allow peds to get furtherr into the road safely to see what traffic is approaching, perhaps car drivers are never peds, and cant see the logic.

brakes
    Free Member

you have options:
    – drive on the pavement
    – park your car in the bus stop
    – buy a bus and park it at the end of your road, put a car-sized hole in it so you can just drive under it
    – nuke from orbit

coffeeking
    Free Member

Theyre called build outs, and they make the road into a series of parking bays,so you cant undertake ibnto a side lane, safer for us cyclists, they also allow peds to get furtherr into the road safely to see what traffic is approaching, perhaps car drivers are never peds, and cant see the logic.

I’m not convinced it is safer for cyclists, it now has narrowed the road so you end up getting SMIDSY’d by door openers on a fast downhill section, as a pedestrian or side road user it’s nigh impossible to get out without being surprised by a fast moving car (whereas before you had no parked cars obscuring the view) and now buses stopping block the whole lane for minutes on end. As a driver, ped and cyclist I’ve not seen a single positive thing from it yet. From an observational point of view, in the 6 months it’s been done I’ve seen more near accidents than in the 3 years previous.

project
    Free Member

Coffe king but thats lack of enforcement of traffic laws, nothing to do with road furniture and buildouts.

Contact the police.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A new low: question about bus stops’ is closed to new replies.