Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • A message to cyclists from Paul Nero, managing director of Exeter FM.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Click

Custard cream and a mug of PG please.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Twit..

Pass the biscuits Harry…

_tom_
    Free Member

And I add fumes. Slow-moving traffic wastes fuel and adds to carbon emissions. Idiots who ignore cycle paths should appreciate that future generations of children will drown as global warming wipes out Lympstone. And it’s their fault.

😐

vinnyeh

third comment, juansamwell, is one of those rare, balanced opinions you hardly ever see on the news sites. Surprised it wasn’t moderated off actually….

“It does my head in that such ignorance and impatience is so prevalent, both from the writer of this column, and the people replying. We’re all just trying to get to work! chill the flip out. Do you love your office job at world famous exeter FM and long to get there so much that you are prepared to run down another person with your car just to get there a few seconds faster? Is that the kind of person you want to be? really? its not a fight every morning, none of us would be up at seven am with a load of other people if we didnt HAVE TO DO IT! We’re just getting where we need to be! Are you saving anyones life by not being twenty seconds late?
    …..

D0NK

man in car complaining about cyclist causing global warming, oh teh…

<Edit> that comment by juansamwell is probably the most well put thoought out comment I’ve ever seen in response to an anticyling rant.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Oh look!, the article has a report button 😀

What is the primary reason you are reporting this message as abusive?

Impersonation

Additional Comments?

I fear someone of limited intellect has hijacked Paul Nero’s account. Could you confirm?

woody2000

C*ckweasel, just trying to do a (poor) Clarksonesque rant. Somehow, I can tell from the tone of the “article” that he just doesn’t actually believe a word of it himself.

🙄

GrahamS

Hmm.. seems to be taking a leaf out of their sister publication, This Is Derbyshire, who posted similar nonsense last year and suddenly got loads of hits.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

He does get a good kicking in the comments section – mentioned on here before as well

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh whats the issue ?

what he said makes perfect sense – if and only if the goverment put someone who understands what a cyclepath needs to be to design them and they are cleaned

in holland its against the law to use a carridgeway if an adjacant cycle path is provided ….

this is a law that could not be implemented here because the infrastructure is crap and when it exists its poorly executed and designed to impeed cyclists travel

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oooh look he’s on facebook. Feel free to send him a message
    HERE

miketually
    Free Member

I’d not spotted the report option, thanks.

Reason for reporting: “The author of this article seems to believe he is Jeremy Clarkson. But lacks the originality and wit.”

derek_starship
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the quality of CLs in the Exeter area. But the ones near me are tits. My “favourite” being the one that goes from the road to the pavement and has a traffic light and two road sign support posts smack bang in middle of it!

Harry_the_Spider

The moss covered block paved one over junction 19 of the M60 is a beauty too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Just posted this on the Bike Forum – I agree its all attention seeking 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Some nobody trying to raise his profile by deliberately courting controversy. He’ll still be a nobody tomorrow.

rondo101
    Free Member

MD – “Site traffic is low and our ad revenues are suffering, what can we do?”
    Editor – “According to many of our sister papers of similar provincial distribution, writing an article that paints cyclists in a bad light seems to increase traffic.”
    MD – “BRB, trolling.”

foxyrider
    Free Member

We have been duped 😉

instanthit
    Free Member

Living in Exeter i can confidently say that Exeter FM is as good as the cycle paths, total S****.

molgrips
    Free Member

in holland its against the law to use a carridgeway if an adjacant cycle path is provided …

That’s a crap law. It used to be the case in Germany and it would have been crap if it had not been effectively repealed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why is it a crap law ?

cycle facilities in holland are above adaquate that i never once thought – man i wish i was able to use that road.

spend 6 months out there last year riding on a fold up bike all over the north from den helder down to alkmaar and across to leuwaarden.

only thing i did wish for was some corners to break the monotony and get me out the headwind for a bit 😀

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Twit? thanks mods for editing my post but i dont think i have ever used the wort ‘twit’

**** sounds about right tho

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In case anyone wanted to lob a bit of abuse at them on Twitter, they are now @Radio_Exe 🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

Same tripe posted on This is Bristol from time to time. I’m gather the This is… network is pretty much the gutter when it comes to online ‘journalism’

joao3v16
    Free Member

Saw the article yesterday. It’s a long time since I’ve read such ignorance.

The man is a massive idiot.

Probably thought he was being clever/amusing, in the same way Jeremy Clarkson thinks he’s being clever/amusing.

Massive idiot.

convert

It’s all about the quality and effectiveness of the cycleways. No cyclist in their right mind would choose to mix it with cars if there was a great cycleway (I like to call the good ones my private exclusive highways!)that went where they wanted to go and was designed so that reasonable progress was possible without constant stops and starts. When they are good, everyone is a winner. Sadly many are an afterthought. I’ve no idea what the ones in Exeter are like so can’t really comment on this guy’s gripe.

yunki
    Free Member

when I’m riding the stretch that matey on the radio is referring to you’re damn right that I use the well surfaced traffic free Sustrans route..

That stretch of road is treacherous and the millions spent providing the alternative route for cyclists is a godsend and will save lives..

Plus you get a very picturesque ride along the estuary rather than along the shoddily maintained and heavily trafficked parallel A-road

that radio bloke is a wally but he has a valid point..

all the mildly crazed knee-jerk reactionary twaddle being spouted here is just going to make cyclists look silly.. again

🙄

soobalias
    Free Member

reported the article as spam, it crops up everywhere nowadays

molgrips
    Free Member

why is it a crap law ?

cycle facilities in holland are above adaquate that i never once thought – man i wish i was able to use that road

The cycleways in Germany are fantastic as cycleways go, and really great for pootling about town. However if you want to get somewhere in a hurry, train, or get a long ride in, they are a pain in the balls. And studies have shown in the Netherlands that they are less safe, because you are riding much closer to the walls, fences and hedges that people’s driveways are emerging from. The roads are really well sighted, the cycleways are not. Plus they are full of pootlers, kids, walkers next to them and so on.

In busy city I used them, but out in the countryside where they still were I didn’t like using them in most cases (although I did in some). I didn’t want to be forced into the cyclist ghetto either, I wanted it to be my choice based on my needs and assessment of the safety of the situation.

PrinceJohn

Oooh look exeter fm have a Facebook page they delete comments quite quickly if you ask them questions about their Paul Nero

Coyote
    Free Member

Prince John. They don’t delete them, you just need to select view “everyone” on top right of page.

racefaceec90

what a c&%T 😡

juan-samwell
    Free Member

@ vinneyh and DONK, thanks for the props regarding my comment on this is devon/exeter.

I dont condone any right to an opinion, but I do condone inciting acts of violence against other people, ignorance, and a lack of respect for others.

Cheers. Juan. thingswotilike.tumblr.com/ Tweet; @juansamwell

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yunki, phew thought it was just me! Ok crass writing and weak attempt to be deliberately inflammatory (he should post here more often!) but there is a valid point in there.

Videos, Internet, Twitter we live in the bizarre world of virtual vigilantes.

Haven’t people got better things to do than get morally outraged by this kind of thing.. Blimey there is someone starting a silly diatribe on STW about lawyers today. Surely the best thing is to ignore.

wwaswas

the irony is that the Energy Saving Trust is one of the clients of his company;

http://www.plain-text.co.uk/

and they’ve got this on the plain-text site;

So a recent email from the Energy Saving Trust’s transport division was just the ticket: promote and prove the benefits of ’smart driving’ to local authorities in 100 words. We were proud to have the final email – which packs costs, savings, benefits, proof points, a headline, two subheads and a call to action into precisely 106 words

I do wonder what this client would think abotu him blaming cyclists for global warming?

juan-samwell
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore, fair point, well made.

i think I may be guilty of getting caught up in a bit of righteous outrage, (easily done in these anonymous web based times) I have as a result edited my previous comment, tho stand by my disapproval of violence towards anyone. That is the main reason for my dislike of his article in the first place, and indeed my dislike for many of the violent retaliations on the this is site.

thingswotilike.tumblr.com/tweet@juansamwell

MSP

I do wonder what this client would think abotu him blaming cyclists for global warming?

Point it out to them then.

Writing comments on his rant is just providing him with the oxygen of publicity he craves, however pointing out to his clients that he has views against their defining objectives seems like justice in action.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Juan I was struggling to find the incitement to violence section?!? I guess that was the opening salvo which seemed to be written more for effect than anything else. Not very well made.. Last paras are more measured.

nbt

juan samwell – Member

I dont condone any right to an opinion, but I do condone inciting acts of violence against other people, ignorance, and a lack of respect for others.

You mnay want to review that – “condone” means “agree with” or “support”

Or maybe that *is* what you meant?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘A message to cyclists from Paul Nero, managing director of Exeter FM.’ is closed to new replies.