Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A long weekend in Edinburgh
  • Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Mrs BB and I have a long weekend in Edinburgh coming up. I’ve never been before so would welcome any recommendations of things to do and see.

Looking particularly for museums, galleries, restaurants, walks etc etc

arcadian
    Free Member

Princes St gardens is an obvious one, but still nice. If you’re not particularly claustrophobic, the Scott monument has a nice view (the stairs are a tight climb!).
    Another walk which I suppose is also obvious is Arthur’s Seat, assuming it’s not too windy. The Sheep Heid Inn pub nearby makes for a nice starting/finishing point and does decent pub grub.
    National galleries of modern art was always my favourite, mostly for the giant robot sculpture thing (google tells me it is called Paolozzi’s Vulcan).
    The Kenilworth pub is nice and chilled and does good pub grub for a reasonable price, a restaurant nearby called Element does really good food (or did, haven’t been back down for about a year with work and stuff 🙁 ).
    La Favourita does super nice pizza, Urban Angel was really nice for late breakfast/lunchy stuff but there’s a much nicer place that I can’t remember the name of right now. Due to night shifts killing my brain. Hope that helps 🙂

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

That’s a great start, thanks Arcadian.

paladin

Mary kings close. Booking ahead essential.
    Boat trip from queensferry to inchcolm island, take your lunch and the boat will drop you off, let you explore the island, and collect you later.
    I’d do the bus tour of Edinburgh again, but I wouldn’t bother with the castle again.
    Arthur’s seat well worth a walk, or a drive if you’re short of time.
    Royal yacht is quite good.

scotroutes

Don’t forget to visit Leith one evening for food and drink.

Castle is probably worth a visit if you’ve never been.

Museums on Chambers Street could keep you busy all day.

Edinburgh has one of the finest zoos if you’re into that. You can also get round the back of it to walk round Corstorphine Hill.

Calton Hill has the best view of the city centre but avoid after dark.

jimmy

Avoid after dark… In case they recognise you?

Dean Village is a nice stroll along the water of Leith – could start at the galleries and walk down to Leith for tea

jamiep
    Free Member

Scott Monument
    Walk Cartlon Hill rather than spending time going over to Arthurs Seat
    Walk around the side alleys off Royal Mile (to get a flavour) and then on to Mary Kings Close
    Chambers Street Museum
    Walk along Water of Leith / Dean Village and on to Modern Art gallery
    Wouldnt bother with Castle or Hollywood Palace
    Maybe Camera Obscura (although I havent been)

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Thanks everyone,I really appreciate it. I’m quite excited about having a look around now.

BB

northernmatt

Shebeen on Morrison Street do very good steaks, South African food, very good if you like meat. The Atelier further down Morrison Street is also good, very nice food for not a lot of money.

Mary Kings Close is quite good as is the climb up the Scott Monument.

tomd
    Free Member

Make sure you stop a local and ask them where the castle is, preferably in view of the hill with a big castle on it. Brightens up my lunchtime walks!

I’ve been working in Edinburgh city centre for past couple of months. I can recommend just taking a walk about. Loads of cool places will jump out. Worth taking a walk away from the old town, down through the new town (it’s not really new) towards the botanic gardens.

Arthurs Seat and holyrood park definitely worth exploring if you get a nice day.

GrahamS

Are you planning to take your wife up the castle?

You should – but be aware that it is always cold and windy up there, even if it looks like a nice day.

And consider dropping into The Witchery next to the castle for a really nice meal.

flyingmonkeycorps

I wouldn’t bother with the castle, didn’t really enjoy it.

National museum is awesome, tons to see and do – definitely a good rainy day option.

Free walking tours are really good, especially if it’s nice.

GrahamS

Make sure you stop a local and ask them where the castle is, preferably in view of the hill with a big castle on it. Brightens up my lunchtime walks!

I have a fond memory of watching two American tourists standing on North Bridge excitedly taking pictures of ”Edinburgh Castle” on Calton Hill

I really wanted to casually walk over, take them by the shoulders and gently spin them around.

😆

scuttler

Wildfire in New Town is good for lunch or dinner. Small though so call ahead.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A long weekend in Edinburgh’ is closed to new replies.