Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Your recommendations for the perfect Alpine first aid kit.
  • Premier Icon pymwymis
    Free Member

Need one for the next couple of weeks but what should the essential elements be ?

Premier Icon nickc

EHIC and a credit card?

Premier Icon JEngledow
    Free Member

The fact your in the Alps doesn’t make any difference, the thing to consider is how far from medical help will you be?

Edit: if your going to one of the more popular destinations you’ll probably just need some blister plasters and aspirin!

Premier Icon pymwymis
    Free Member

Praps need a bit more than that nick. Neither of those will stop me bleeding though I can see the credit card splinting a broken finger.

Premier Icon pymwymis
    Free Member

JEngledow, let’s just assume far enough to need to patch yourself up. This is first aid though not the ER. We’re just talking a good lightweight first aid pack here.

Premier Icon Spin
    Free Member

Three schools of thought:

1. The full boonah – some off the shelf FA kit.
    2. The basic homemade – a few plasters, a dressing and some vitamin I.
    3. The if it’s minor I can thole it, if it’s major I can bodge it.

Premier Icon JEngledow
    Free Member

far enough to need to patch yourself up

I’ve just got a Lloyds Travel First Aid Kit which I bought mostly for the case as it sits in my bag nicely. I’ve changed the contents a bit and added a few personal choice items (spare contacts, eye wash, foil blanket, a couple of extra self adhesive dressings and zinc oxide tape). If I need anything more than the contents of this first aid kit then I think it’s more serious than I can cope with!

Premier Icon rene59
    Free Member

https://www.lifesystems.co.uk/products/first-aid-kits

Take your pick, I have the mountain one and is quite comprehensive.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zfnwN-bZuU[/video]

Premier Icon pymwymis
    Free Member

Good call rene59. Ta for that.

Premier Icon fourbanger
    Free Member

Duck tape, Opinel (no.7), Buff.

Premier Icon nickc

well, if it’s just incidental, and your out on the hill all day (just seen you’re marshalling the trans Sav) then I’d pack the following;

normal plasters, blister plasters, paracetamol, aspirin, rehydration tabs, sun screen, antihistamine.

More than that, and your back to my earlier suggestions THB

Premier Icon fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Duct tape
    Climbers finger tape
    Zip ties
    Codine

If it’s too bad to use that to make do/get you home then

Mobile phone

Premier Icon mattsccm
    Free Member

I would take a few tablets for a headache and some midge bite soother. Small holes in the body can be left to congeal. Big ones will bleed more than a first aid kit will fix. (Tampons are damn good at patching holes made by handlebars or sticks etc)Nothing will go septic in a day.

Premier Icon roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

For a bleed that’s too big for plasters (which it will be if you slide some way) I suggest having a couple of these on you:
    http://www.kitmonster.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/1033

Secondly, even in the summer a roll mat and survival blanket isn’t a bad idea for when you’re waiting for a rescue to show up, should you find yourself in that situation.

Finally, whatever you end up taking, know how to use it.

Premier Icon discoduck
    Free Member

Isreali shell dressing, silver blanket like after a marathon to help stop piling in whilst waiting for the chopper, Duct tape, steri strips, that sort of shit, depends how fussy you are about keeping it clean washing crap out of gravel rash etc but I don’t generally travel far without a decent first aid kit.

Back at the ranch you can leave spray iodene for clearing up scrapes the yellow stuff that stings. Spray plaster also quite good for keeping crap out of wounds and speeds up the healing process, contact lense cleaner in a spray can is good at getting crap out of slices in the skin, ear buds, needle & cotton for skin not for sewing buttons on your dress and some Imodium incase you get the squirts !

Broken ribs and collar bones are mostly sit it out and the hospital never really bother with those, bones out of skin are nasty that’s where the shell dressings are helpfull cos their sterile and you can make a donut round it and apply pressure.

It’s mostly common sense stuff

HOWEVER, if you take it and prepare for a spill IN MY EXPERIENCE *
    You will have one

Premier Icon discoduck
    Free Member

Mattsccm, were you in the Army ?

Premier Icon hilldodger
    Free Member

Big strip of “cut to size” sticky plaster, some sterile gauze dressing and small bottle of saline for washing wounds or eyes. Should cover most first aid situations.

Premier Icon grahamt1980

Assuming you already have good first aid training, then just take a standard first aid kit.
    I always have got a roll of gaffa tape on me too as that can improvise lots of stuff.
    Unless it is a seriously bad issue then most biking stuff can be used to improvise a temporary repair.
    If it is that bad then get the heli fast

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Knowledge, that’s your number one requirement. You’ll notice that the more knowledge someone has, the less they carry.

I’ve only got a 2 day outdoor ITC qualification so carry a fair bit. It’s stuff I choose to carry and self selected rather than a formal kit.

Tick twister
    Asprin
    Ibuprofen
    Antihistamine
    Paracetamol
    Triangular bandage
    Israeli dressing
    Butterfly stitches
    Antiseptic wipes
    Duck tape
    Mini pallet wrap
    Nitrile gloves
    Note pad and pen.

Small stuff, mtfu
    Really big stuff, you u st can’t carry.
    What I carry is stuff I can make use of if someone can’t mtfu plus a few small “feel good” items.

Premier Icon freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said – knowledge is power..

I’ve got a pound shop pencil case with a few plasters, a few bigger dressings, roll of tape, triangular bandage, antiseptic wipes, eyewash and scissors.

If it can’t be fixed with the above, you’re probably going to hospital, so you only need to consider limiting blood loss/keeping the patient comfortable while you work out how you are going to get to hospital.

Yes – I’ve had plenty of first aid training, and yes, I’ve had to use it in several dire situations.

Premier Icon superfli

Packet of Polos.
    No wait, this is the Alps. Packet of Extra Strong Mints

😆
    Sorry

Premier Icon grahamt1980

Polo’s?
    Thats the St John first aid kit isn’t it?

Premier Icon pymwymis
    Free Member

Superfli – genius !

Premier Icon maracucho
    Free Member

If you’re going to the alps think carefully about insurance.

You’ve absolutely got to take duct tape. Knife and/or scissors.

What is going to kill you? Bleeding? Hypothermia? Heart attack? Think about what you need to deal with that.

What else might you specifically need? Do you wear glasses or contacts? Do you suffer migraines? etc.

Take a mobile phone but make sure (a) you know what number to call, and (b) that it have battery when you need it.

Knowledge is vital. Prevention is better than cure. Remember that major disasters usually have more than one contributing factor.

Premier Icon rene59
    Free Member

Knowledge, that’s your number one requirement. You’ll notice that the more knowledge someone has, the less they carry.

Hmmmn. Dummies carry very little, paramedics carry quite a lot.

Premier Icon maxtorque

I like to take this man with me whenever i ride in the Alps:

Not only does he come equipped with a well stocked backpack, he can be used as a crash test dummy to “scope out” particularly iffy lines before you have a go yourself. 😉

Premier Icon Northwind

I think he’s got a fulltime job rebuilding Pat.

It depends on your alps really. Like, you could be in some bikeparky location and really no more remote than at glentress. Or you could be in the middle of nowhere and hours from help.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Free Member

Couple of Tramadol
    Something to stop bleeding
    Something to cover wounds
    Something to sling with

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why do you need plasters ? Bleeds stop if you leave them alone.

Slings are uncomfortable.

If your bleeding lots take your shirt off and stick it in the hole.

Pain killers, well just mtfu and get on with it, over the counter drugs wont help for proper pain.

carry a mobile, whistle, some form of bivvy bag, insurance doc and credit card, they will do more to help.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Free Member

Slings are uncomforatable but really quite good if you need to walk out a long way with a dislocated shoulder or something like that.
    If you take off your shirt to stuff in a wound then you have no shirt on, weather can change and you may need more clothes to keep warm.
    Some decent drugs will make a huge difference if your sat there with a broken arm, something is better than nothing.

carry a mobile, whistle, some form of bivvy bag, insurance doc and credit card, they will do more to help.

Mobile is great in signal, pointless otherwise (smashed mine in my last alpine crash)
    Whistle, great if there is somebody near by not much use otherwise
    Bivvy bag, good thing to have in additon to some useful first aid stuff.
    Insurance an CC are good to have but again not much use at pain management or stopping bleeding.

Premier Icon Nick-Scots
    Free Member

Use a spare inner tube or long sleeve on a shirt for a sling.

As said above, it’s the knowledge of what to do and how to manage the casualty not the actual kit that counts.

If high up you tend to get a very good signal in the alps. At 3600m on top of Les Deuxs Alpes for instance.

Premier Icon Sandwich

Stick Echo112 on your smartphone. Press the buttons and presto a rescue team turn up.
    Stuff that allows you to get off the hill with minor injuries (broken ribs, arms, collar bones for example) will keep the bills low and let the emergency services deal with more serious cases. (I’m thinking of you giving the triage people an easy time if there’s more than one incident on the day you have a problem). The 16 hour outdoor first aid course is a good basis (the one I did taught dislocation reduction and other stuff that HSE don’t recommend).

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny

We have found over the past few years injuries that the following are extremely helpful and get used
    1) some kind of dressing patches in a few different sizes
    2) Duct tape – plenty of duct tape, but in multiple small roles. In fact, we wrap them around…
    3) a few reasonable sized bottles of sterile eyewash (maybe 20mm or something? quite big, one use, carry a few)
    4) a sling
    5) Iodine spray
    6) emergency blanket/bivy bag thing
    7) head torch

good insurance and a mobile phone of course!

Premier Icon B.A.Nana
    Free Member

IMO one of the key thing is a vacuum packed survival bag (not blanket). Otherwise, I’m in the carpet tape, zip ties, small scissors/pen knife and strongest pain killers you can buy over the counter, camp.

The only other thing I can think of is knowing the international hand signals for directing a rescue heli pilot. 🙂

Premier Icon Grump
    Free Member

My year round 1st aid kit (living in the alps n all that) is a wee red bag which everyone I ride and ski with knows is red and in my bag (incase it needs to be used on me) and has been tested a bit (2x broken legs, 1x shattered knee cap and lots of cuts and burns) contains:

1x foil blanket (tiny pack size, but huge difference to victims comfort)
    1x roll cling film (cut to 10cm, sterile, can be used to wrap any cut or burn or to hold bits of body in place. Or to kill off irritating people)
    1x roll duct tape (wrapped round pencil, to hold stuff in place that clingfilm can’t)
    1x tampon (stuffed inside the clingfilm roll, put inside particularly big cuts)
    1x wee tub of suncream (because I always forget to pack suncream)

Doesn’t take up much space and covers everything I have the knowledge to deal with, which gets to the most important part of a 1st aid kit. You. Training is very cheap compared to watching a friend or loved one suffer and having nothing to do until rescue arrives. Helicopters can’t always fly in the alps…..

Premier Icon stevomcd

maxtorque:

That man carries:

A big f-off military/ambulance dressing
    Medical tape
    Swabs
    Iodine
    Duct tape
    Knife
    Steri-strips
    Spray plaster (for entertainment purposes)
    Triangular bandage (have used more of these than anything else – collar-bones are our most common serious injury by miles)
    Assorted small dressings/plasters
    Re-sus mask (of the extremely small, packable type)
    Tube of rule 5 cream

EDIT: No drugs as we’re not allowed to hand them out (except aspirin for heart attacks and epi-pens for allergies).

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Your recommendations for the perfect Alpine first aid kit.’ is closed to new replies.