Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • A Drawing a Day
  • flyingmonkeycorps

One of my new year’s resolutions (that I haven’t quite started yet) is to draw more this year. I quite fancy doing a drawing a day, but I’d quite like some inspiration – anyone know of any email groups or similar for this? Or fancy starting one?

swiss01
    Free Member

check out matt kish’s moby dick exploits for a bit of inspiration
    http://everypageofmobydick.blogspot.com/

DezB
    Free Member

Redthunder started to get some threads going on here, but there weren’t many takers.

redthunder
    Free Member

Yeah. I did start something of towards the end of last year.

Shall we start it up again 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Well I’m up for getting involved…

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yes please Redthunder

Klunk
    Free Member

get a moleskin sketch book and carry it with you and when inspiration strikes….

further links directly after the pictures before the comment section

flyingmonkeycorps

Moleskine book is very much on the to get list, just hanging on till payday.

Yesterday’s attempt (I’m VERY MUCH out of practice, but that’s kind of the point of this!):

Jaff by Will Slater, on Flickr

wwaswas

that’s an ugly looking donkey.

flyingmonkeycorps

It has been pointed out that perhaps I should look at things prior to attempting to draw them. I bet if I tried to draw a donkey it would look like shoes.

swiss01
    Free Member

so what? i’d highly recommend drawing projects by nick maslen and jack southern, which addresses this very issue as well as providing a shedload of great drawing projects

samuri
    Free Member

I’d be up for your threads again Redthunder. I’ve actually applied myself to my drawing over the last few months as a direct result of you doing those. (I’ve not got much better but at least I’m trying properly now)

Crosshatch ironman by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

flyingmonkeycorps

They specifically address the issue of donkeys looking like shoes? Awesome!

(I’m googling your suggestions as I type)

DezB
    Free Member

Conversely, I can only draw things while I’m looking at them.
    Been a frustration all my life that I can’t draw from memory!

flyingmonkeycorps

I actually tend to struggle to draw things “from life” as it were. I can’t transpose the proportions onto the page no matter how hard I try. It’s something I aim to work on.

That book looks ace (though it’s Mick Maslen not Nick, which threw me a bit!).

portlyone

that’s an ugly looking donkey.

The real test is if it makes the fridge door or not…

swiss01
    Free Member

if you want to be absolutely specific on the donkey/shoe congruence then no, but on one thing not looking like another they have it totally dialled. it’s a fabulous book – even looking at it just now i’m thinking of the things in it i haven’t done yet. plus it’s full of handy quotes and interviews with people who’re into drawing as well as expanding the horizons of what drawing actually is. The eye that thinks…. lovely.

redthunder
    Free Member

OK. I’ll start something off.

Mayby after each put them all in gallery somewhere. I will also collect all the old threads and put them blog post.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘A Drawing a Day’ is closed to new replies.