Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • A chinese Nuclear Reactor… what could possibly go wrong?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

El-bent – Member

that could be built by 100% UK investment, without any involvement from another country is beyond my comprehension.

Current UK Government won’t invest long term as they are the enemies of the state, following the short termism lunacy emanating from the cancer at the heart of London. [/quote]

How much does it cost to build?

Oh well … we need more energy but we don’t want to spend our money perhaps because we need the money else where?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why TF Cameron wants to build something (like this) with the chinese, in this country, that could be built by 100% UK investment, without any involvement from another country is beyond my comprehension.

Maybe because neither British companies nor the government want to invest rather than any other reason. We certainly could do it but there isn’t the political or financial will.

As for zero outside involvement, not happening, that horse bolted decades ago.

OK, not necessarily overridden, but poor handling of the situation. The commission that wrote the report pulled no punches.

As I said, latent errors. The facts presented there are also misleading, whilst it is true that public dosage should be no more than 1mSv per year the safe dose limit for workers is 20mSv per year (with special exceptions granted to allow 50mSv in a year with no more than 100mSv accumulated over a 5 year period). 5mSv, whilst clearly over the limit, is not considered an unsafe dosage (for healthy adults).

Aye, at fukushima it was was a very different issue, and it wasn’t even a mistake- the operators knew that flooding the reactors would prevent meltdown but would destroy them, so delayed and delayed in the hope of saving them, til eventually they were overruled- but too late. Even after the completely avoidable flooding the meltdowns were still completely avoidable, if not for TEPCO’s greed.

Source? I’ve never heard this before and any account I’ve heard completely contradicts this. Yes, there were delays, but that was down to the general condition of the entire prefecture rather than a man made issue. Are you sure you’re not thinking of Chernobyl as that seems more likely?

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Full disclosure up front: I work on this project. My real name is also fairly easy to guess from my name on here so for that reason I’ll not be saying too much, except to note a few things:

1) I’ll never stop being surprised at how nuclear can turn normally sensible people into complete tin foil hatters.

2) Quite right this project could have been a boon for the steel industry. In fact, we could have had only the second forge in the world (first being in Japan) capable of producing the largest forging for these reactors. But the current government cancelled the loan to the company that was going to make it shortly after being elected.

3) The fear of radiation is more dangerous than radiation itself: “Interestingly, even the upper bound projection of the lives saved from the evacuation is lower than the number of deaths already caused by the evacuation itself.” Source.

Which, incidentally, gives the approximate number of evacuation deaths at 600, which given that it’s in a peer-reviewed journal leads me to believe (perhaps optimistically) that the 1600 figure is likely to be a mis-quote of this paper.

timba
    Free Member

2) Quite right this project could have been a boon for the steel industry. In fact, we could have had only the second forge in the world (first being in Japan) capable of producing the largest forging for these reactors. But the current government cancelled the loan to the company that was going to make it shortly after being elected.

…second forge in the world…so, in theory Forgemasters should have at least a 50% chance of gaining contracts in this area?
    £80m isn’t so much that it couldn’t be funded commercially, airlines seem to manage Boeing’s price list
    Why should the the tax-payer fund what would be an easily attained commercial loan to one company, and set a precedent in the process?

squirrelking
    Free Member

My real name is also fairly easy to guess

Your outlook contact information is rather sparse, you could at least put a job title in 😉

I remember that Forgemasters pull out, bloody madness…

Timba – it wasn’t an isolated loan, it was one of many that were offered as development loans at the time. It was also part of a larger package including £50m from Westinghouse and £20m in bank loans.

timba
    Free Member

Yep, I see that now, it wasn’t in the article linked to ^^
    £70m was commercially attainable, t’was the other £80m that was needed and it wasn’t as if we were planning to build our own nuclear power plants or anything…

Rich_s

Lifer – Member
    The first line of the wiki is

Westinghouse Electric Company LLC is a US based nuclear power company
    ?

…and yet only a few lines below that it says:

Westinghouse Electric Company’s history 1999–present[edit]
    1999: Westinghouse Electric Company officially began operations as BNFL’s nuclear power business.
    2000: BNFL bought ABB Group’s nuclear power business, and merged into Westinghouse.
    2004: Westinghouse bids for two Chinese reactor sites; the US Export-Import bank approved $5 billion in loan guarantees[11]
    2006: Westinghouse acquired PaR Nuclear/Ederer Nuclear Cranes, providing fuel and cask handling equipment systems. Westinghouse Electric Company was sold by BNFL to Toshiba,

badllama
    Free Member

Nealglover

We don’t have any quality issues that you describe.

I didn’t describe any 🙄

T1000
    Free Member

The dismantling of the UK nuclear industry and shameful sale of the expertise necessary to undertake these projects was undertaken by Labour under the Blair/Brown government. The necessity to buy in the design from oversea is their fault.

sharki
    Free Member

I think it’s great as I’m only 4 miles from it. The French side of the deal has already improved many local properties and offered education to all those wanting to benefit from the project. And they helped the mess up an already struggling road system to get all the gear through the nearest metropolis that is Bilgewater to get to the coastal building site.

And the thought of the Chinese being able to make Nuclear arms on my doorstep is fantastic. That should make it feel a little more cosy during the dark and cold winter nights now that rough cider is so unpopular these days. At least when they side with the Russians, they already have a Nuc in the area which will save on transportation costs. And I’ll be able to get some more Mushroom pics.

slowoldman

Theres people on here that won’t trust the Chinese to make a battery charger without it blowing up.

But are happy to buy Chinese carbon frames.

I don’t think we have the right to unleash this kind of thing on the planet as it’s not ours. Same goes for our fossil fuel consumption and release of pollution.

So turn off that computer, flick the circuit breaker in your fuse cupboard and light a candle.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I think it’s great as I’m only 4 miles from it. The French side of the deal has already improved many local properties and offered education to all those wanting to benefit from the project. And they helped the mess up an already struggling road system to get all the gear through the nearest metropolis that is Bilgewater to get to the coastal building site.

And the thought of the Chinese being able to make Nuclear arms on my doorstep is fantastic. That should make it feel a little more cosy during the dark and cold winter nights now that rough cider is so unpopular these days. At least when they side with the Russians, they already have a Nuc in the area which will save on transportation costs. And I’ll be able to get some more Mushroom pics.

I was under the impression that a new bypass had been built to handle construction traffic, is this not the case?

Education, yes, there is a whole new development centre, is that also a complete fabrication?

Nuclear arms? Who told you that? You are obviously unaware that the operators will be EDF and reprocessing will either be in France (most likely), Sellafield or like Sizewell, non existant. You obviously seem quite unaware of the necessary fuel cycling and reprocessing necessary to extract weapons grade plutonium never mind the fact that they will have plenty of domestic reactors to do this if they choose without having to rely on getting out of a country halfway around the world.

Like mike says, so many arguments are clouded with bullshit it just gets ridiculous.

andyl
    Free Member

So turn off that computer, flick the circuit breaker in your fuse cupboard and light a candle.

Other sources of electricity are available. But lets not let get in the way of making a sensationalist comment.

muddy@rseguy

I thought this was Chinese finance not the power station tech.

Main Technology and design for the new reactor is French from EDF plus a sizeable chunk from the UK

Chinese-made technology isn’t so bad, using it right now to view this website and type this,

as is probably everyone else….

squirrelking
    Free Member

Other sources of electricity are available. But lets not let get in the way of making a sensationalist comment.

So beyond any thermal sources what is the solution?

sharki
    Free Member

They are building a bypass for the local village but it all still has to battle its way through the main town that seems to come to stand still the very moment a stray shopping trolley drops off a kerb. So I can’t see it coping well with the extra volume of traffic heading to the point.

Anything else I said was said with a tongue firmly placed in cheek.

mt
    Free Member

Given the questioning of material quality comming out of china is deamed racist by some. Perhaps all the large oil project specifications I’ve seen in the last few years are written by racists? We even have to supply metal samples for confirmation before production so as to ensure quality and source. I’m not complaining just concerned that someone will see it as a good idea to build a nuclear plant from the stuff.

andyl
    Free Member

So beyond any thermal sources what is the solution?

To name a few:

PV, wind, hydro, tidal, wave, reverse electro-dialysis, pressure retarded osmosis, microbial fuel cell.

And then there is renewable thermal means using biomass, biomethane, bioethanol, solar turbine…

And lots more.

squirrelking
    Free Member

And of all those how many are at a stage where they are either compatible with our present grid system or viable on the sort of scale needed?

I’m well aware of the existence of all these technologies, what I’m not aware of is any way to integrate them reliably with our present grid system until such time as they can be depended upon without the need for a thermal base load.

Mt it’s not racist, more a case of look how far its come, much like Korean, Taiwanese and Japanese manufacturing before that. From my own experiences I certainly have reservations about Chinese parts especially where knockoffs are concerned (not unknown for trusted suppliers to send us boxes of convincing looking garbage with faked QC certificates).FWIW though I don’t think the materials will be imported, just the reactor design.

Sharki – apologies, looking at it it does read differently but I assumed you were being serious.

mt
    Free Member

Squirrelling. I can only base my views on what I’ve seen. Some of the the QC docs are amazing for stainless steel particularly. Ask Shell what happens when you buy miles of 316L pipe for an offshore project, had to be replaced in less than a year.

Lifer
    Free Member

Rich_s – Member – Block User
    Lifer – Member
    The first line of the wiki is
    Westinghouse Electric Company LLC is a US based nuclear power company
    ?

…and yet only a few lines below that it says:

Westinghouse Electric Company’s history 1999–present[edit]
    1999: Westinghouse Electric Company officially began operations as BNFL’s nuclear power business.
    2000: BNFL bought ABB Group’s nuclear power business, and merged into Westinghouse.
    2004: Westinghouse bids for two Chinese reactor sites; the US Export-Import bank approved $5 billion in loan guarantees[11]
    2006: Westinghouse acquired PaR Nuclear/Ederer Nuclear Cranes, providing fuel and cask handling equipment systems. Westinghouse Electric Company was sold by BNFL to Toshiba,

😳 TL:DR

squirrelking
    Free Member

Squirrelling. I can only base my views on what I’ve seen. Some of the the QC docs are amazing for stainless steel particularly. Ask Shell what happens when you buy miles of 316L pipe for an offshore project, had to be replaced in less than a year.

As I said, I also have reservations. From experience in the marine industry the pattern parts are bad enough never mind the out and out fakes. That said, it would appear that there are good suppliers out there 😕

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘A chinese Nuclear Reactor… what could possibly go wrong?’ is closed to new replies.