Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • A boat on the Broads for a week, …
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Got the chance of renting an old tub for a week on Thursday, but am I asking for trouble what with the forecast and the fact that the school hols start this week too? Never tried boating before and would like to try a week off the bike just relaxing, bit of fishing, and pub lunches.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Never done boating myself either, but i’d jump at the chance! I tried out kayaking for the first time yesterday up a loch lomond, was great fun, once i get a bit more confident and learn a few things, i think loading up an boat and heading off camping for a few days sound great! 🙂 Not quite the same as boating mind but, go for it i say.

Squidlord
    Free Member

I went on the broads once, on one of those houseboat thingies. It’ll be relaxing, apart from finding a place to moor it. And then mooring it. The best places to tie up can go pretty quickly – so you should aim to be moored and in the pub by 4-5 o’clock. 🙂

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Every boating holiday has it’s “incidents” they all add to the fun.

As long as you have someone else with you who can jump ashore, pull on ropes and tie knots you should do alright. Because you have one person driving you do need at least on other casting off, fending off, tying up.

The juntion at Yarmouth is seriously tidal and if you pass through there it has to be at the right time to make sure you get under the bridges. At high tide, (depending on your boat) there is every chance of getting jammed on the underside of the bridges.

Can’t remember the name of the water south of Yarmouth but it’s about three miles long and can be quite choppy, good fun though.

Fishing is good. Plenty of pubs.

Shops are few and far between so stock up when you get the chance.

plop_pants
    Free Member

If you don’t find a mooring can you anchor out in the water?

That Yarmouth stretch does look a bit scary, I’ve just watched all the Broads Authority videos and didn’t like the look of that bit!

chiefgrooveguru

“Waterway to have a good time…”

Junkyard
    Free Member

practice stopping/mooring go much slower than you think – barely moving. Remember you cannot steer without applying power so quick blips on the throttle then hammer it in reverse to stop!. i could get my 50 foot boat into a 50 ft mooring
    ignore all this if is very windy!!
    Just go for it crashes are usually low speed and learn the rules for passing

rOcKeTdOg

I did it, yarmouth bit is scary, some big ships use it too and dont forget that bit is tidal, i did and returned to a cruiser hanging from the bank by its moorings! Great fun though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A boat on the Broads for a week, …’ is closed to new replies.