• This topic has 283 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 284 total)
  • A bike build… time trialling on a budget
  • Kryton57

TT isn’t a glamour competition though is it.

Kryton57

?

Kryton57

PF30 too – my M30 praxis / infocrank should go straight in there.

DT78
    Free Member

Eye of the beholder I suppose. I’m tempted by it too, but I would have to get it resprayed….might be my next project

cynic-al
    Free Member

Argh you made me read a bike review!

My God that is so full of shit!

Garry_Lager

PX Exocets are an ebay staple, always a few up there, and it’s a well-quoted bike. You’d get one for just under a grand with a TT wheelset if you are prepared to be patient, wait for one local etc.

Kryton57

Full of sit about the bike or the General journalist vocabulary?

cynic-al
    Free Member

the notion that one bike is so much better. fork flex. faster.

youve got a road bike don’t you?

the notion that one NEEDS a TT bike ton do tts.

seems this place is about buying bikes rather than riding them.

Kryton57

I don’t NEED one. I WANT one though. 🙂

TiRed

Get ye over. The TT forum. This is he time to buy. TT bikes have a very easy life. Or if you want some kind hing classic, go for steel And a disc wheel.

simondbarnes

I don’t really see the point of buying a TT bike unless you’re already doing properly fast times on a standard road bike.

tpbiker
    Free Member

no intrest in tt trialing whatsoever…

but the bikes look awesome, that build looks so fast it almost looks like cheating!

mattbee

Same as there being no point buying a full sus bike unless your properly fast already in your rigid bike?
    Since when has ‘need’ been the prerequisite rationale for buying a new bike? There is no need. Only want…

simondbarnes

Same as there being no point buying a full sus bike unless your properly fast already in your rigid bike?

Far more reasons for getting a full sus, only one of which may be going faster.

There is no need. Only want…

Very true

Kryton57

I don’t really see the point of buying a TT bike unless you’re already doing properly fast times on a standard road bike.

There’s a lot of people on here on with mountain bikes way above thier station. If your genuine weekend warrior can go and by a £5k Santa Cruz, or splash £3k on the latest de facto small English business named Ti Long travel HT, why can’t a rider with an interest in time trials spend £700 on an appropriate bike?

Not your money, is it.

simondbarnes

Not your money, is it.

You’re right, it’s not 🙂

Kryton57

@TiRed – where, Bikeradar?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Timetriallingforum.co.uk

Kryton57

CRC have a Fuji Aloha 1.1 for £549. Oval concepts kit, mix of 2015 105 and tiagra but a Compact chainset. Not sure I’m down with the Blue colours, looks even more budget than the boardman.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I don’t think the aloha would be much better than a decent road bike with aero bars?

Kryton57

I got fed up with my own dithering over the past few weeks, so I just bought the Boardman.

Lets hope it takes at least 10secs of my 10 next year, otherwise I’ll throw a Diva strop 😀

Kryton57

Picked up he bike yeaterday. Very pleased despite the ignomy of having to be seen collecting and carrying a bike through Halfords.

Much better in the flesh, and the garden test reveals so much more of a comfortable postion than clip ons on the Road bike – i think due to the shorter TT in the main. The tube profiles are amazing, with a real knife like shape to the down tube and deep yet narrow forks. The bike looks less green in real life also. Tomorrow morning shall be an exercise fit and in torque wrenching everything after tha Halfords Expert build though, just to be sure 🙂

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Photos????!!!

Kryton57

You can see it just as well on the website, I’m not a good photographer so probably couldn’t do it justice. Besides, I’m in a strop at the moment (see other thread of this date/time)

Kryton57
    Kryton57

Ok, so my Infocrank PM wont fit on my Boardman TT. I got quite used to working with power last year. What the scoop for a TTer on a budget? Is there a budget crank/pedal PM or qhats the best way without power – RPE?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Why would you drop straight to RPE if you couldb’t fit a PM? For a fairly steady state effort, I’ve found that heart rate will get you in the right kind of ball park and then possibly RPE and experience of having ridden a few.

Cheapest power meter that I know of is a 4iii 105 crank arm for £350?

Kryton57

Of course i can use HR i forgot to mention that. Barring being cautious as the start, i guess i can monitor HR and use RPE on the 10’s. I know my threshold HR & associated levels so should be able to roughly ascertain a level for 25’s using the “bit over on the ups, bit under on the downs” methods.

schmiken

Why won’t your Infocrank fit? Isn’t the frame BB30? Should just need a new bottom bracket.

Kryton57

This is a good point which i cant understand either, The Bianchi is BB30 and has the praxis BB to go with the Infocrank. The Boardman is PF30, I dont understand why one wont go in the other. I really wanted the PM on the Boardman.

I pick the up from the shop tomorrow. The Infocrank will be out as the Bianchi has to go for warranty inspection without it. Ill try to get an explanation.

Kryton57

Pick up the bikes and understand the issue now.

The BB30/Praxis/Infocrank system has a tapered crank shaft, 30mm on the drive side and 28mm on the non drive side. Its also “long” to accommodate the Praxis external cups. Therefore, it won’t fit in the PF30 on the TT bike becuase that has a 30mm non drive side bearing (FSA BB30) and of course no external cups. The trick of course is replace the PF30 with the relevant Praxis BB. However this is only sold in this way as a “system” with Infocrank and the shop couldnt convince them to supply the BB separately.

So now the road bike (carbon, snapped chainstay) goes back to Wiggle for warranty inspection, and the TT bike is back in one piece and I’ll have to use HR & RPE for TTing.

Edit: But now Ive looked at the Praxis Site the BB for BB30/PF30 seems to be the same one even though the shell diameter is different, so why didnt they move the BB across. *is confused*

mrblobby
    Free Member

Eh? Confused! Is there some sort of insert for different shells?

Wonder why they use a non-standard tapered crank, that’s just odd.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Well what do you do when you need a new bb then?

Sounds like a good reason not to buy an infocrank if you can’t easily swap them between bikes using different bb systems. Not good customer service from the manufacturer’s perspective surely?

Kryton57

Thanks schmiken. Good to see that – it qualifies it for the infocrank spindle only which is a pain in the arse, yes MrBlobby it appears Infocrank use a non standard Praxis BB FFS why?

So, im annoyed. Ive found the Bb30 / FSA crankset to be loose – you can move it side to side about 2mm with your hand so its either loose or missing a spacer. Back to the LBS I go, this is poor for mechanics, if I had the right proprietary tool I’d have done the job myself.

And still the question – why didnt they take the Praxis BB out of the Bianchi and stick it in the Boardman?

winterfold
    Free Member

“simondbarnes – Member
    I don’t really see the point of buying a TT bike unless you’re already doing properly fast times on a standard road bike.”

Er, because with a TT bike and some attention to aeroness you can go quick on a couple of hours training a week without the genetics of a husky?

An old good frame, like a P2/P3 or Trek TTX with a threaded BB for £400, and simple aerobars like the Zipps which are easy to adjust (£99 for them I think now, bargain) means you can fettle your position until you barely cast a shadow and ride without a creak. Beats slogging your guts out to go fast.

MrBlobby – I would call that a budget build – ie its a build, based on a budget frame 😉

TiRed

Thought we’d go seriously “budget” this season. So a set of used but immaculate Hed Jet6/9 wheels running tubeless Corsa Speed tyres#, and a plan for a wheel cover to convert to a disc. I needed a new front wheel so a disc was a little too much.

I was mulling over what to use for the cover, carbon fibre, abs, buy a ready made one (no Raltec anymore), and some measurements showed that I need to discs of only 24 cm radius. A nice tough, material suitable for fashioning into a cover – with low friction?

Teflon!!! Ordered two teflon oven sheets 50cm x 50cm for £9 each to trim down for next week’s Hillingdon TT. Will post pictures if they look even remotely reasonable. I’ll need an oddly-placed valve cover as the wheel is already very deep, or I could just peel back and retape the cover.

Quite excited by the prospect of some bike DIY – see last thing you made thread 😉

#Note – bought 80 mm tubeless valves, but still needed an extension for the rear – only Stan’s are threaded for deep section wheels, but the extender worked perfectly.

matts
    Free Member

Bike Science used to import Wheelbuilder covers. The category is there on their site without any products at the moment, but it may be worth contacting them.

TiRed

If my diy solution fails I’ll import a set. Just playing at the moment. The He’d wheels are a great ride.

matts
    Free Member

You’ve got me thinking now. There are some really neat examples of DIY discs on the forums.

I’m down to do the 7k at the ECCA festival on Monday. I went to recce the course last weekend and given my current setup (road bike, 45/55mm wheels, clips-ons) I reckon my best possible performance could be about 25-30 seconds off what my clubmates have been doing on their Uberbikes the last couple of years. It’s going to need more than just a skinsuit to make that up over 7k. 🙁

(I realise most of the benefit from the mega tt bikes is from the position it allows you to adopt)

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 284 total)

The topic ‘A bike build… time trialling on a budget’ is closed to new replies.