• This topic has 283 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 284 total)
  • A bike build… time trialling on a budget
  • midlifecrashes

Was it TiRed?

Not unless he lives in Doncaster, I’ve only regularly seen one other ‘bent guy round here, and he’s on a more upright touring two wheeler.

It seems a bit odd to me that brake calipers and cables are still often out there in the wind, I’d have instinctively thought they would be worth tucking them into/behind the frame and forks a bit more, or it that a regulations thing about them not being allowed to be integrated?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Having them work is more important than tucking them away…….

I know that BITD it wasn’t unusual for some of the top guys (and geeks) to tuck their front calipers in behind the fork. Or modify the arms so the cable ran infront of the head tube, instead of off to one side.

All while wearing woolen jerseys and back to front caps…..

schmiken

Pro mechanics have a bit of hatred towards integrated brakes – they’re a real pain to fix in a workshop, let alone the back of a van in the middle of the night. As such, it’s kinda boiled through to the mainstream. Cav even decided last year to run the previous MY Venge as the Specialized aero brakes weren’t as well functijoning and hard for the mechanic to work on.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

umop3pisdn or however you spell it appears to be the man to talk to on here about fixed tt’ing.

Hai!

The only worry is that the ideal gear for a decent time is 53/11. Fixed. ***k my old boots…

You’ll find finding an 11t sprocket quite difficult, so go big on the chainring.

Kryton57

My bike’s just gone to have an Infocrank 53/39, praxis bb and new 28/11 & chain fitted.

I’d budgeted for a replacement bb30 😯

butcher

Oh blimey, you’ve just reminded me of my first TT build…

Haha. That’s amazing. I love the effort that’s gone into it. Total respect for that.

njee20
    Free Member

MrB – drop me a mail re the Planet X if you wouldn’t mind! There’s an itch I need to scratch…!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Njee20, it’s a dark path 😉 Email sent.

TiRed

Wasn’t me. I’m “resting” after being taken out in a race on Saturday. Chopped at 54 km/hr immediately before a bend.

My trike isn’t THAT aero and nowhere near my TT bike for CDA – plus 50% more resistance (excluding the stupid grin)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Defeated by routing through the bars. Park Tools internal routing kit ordered!

Turbo bike (that pug up there ^^^) sorted with the poles from the PX now, with a swap of seatpost and saddle and a quick fiddle with the adjustable stem it’s easily switchable between road and time trial positions. Don’t need to bother swapping bikes around now, which is cool 🙂

Wasn’t entirely straightforward as I had to source a 26.4 seatpost that I could run back to front. A quick browse of SJS Cycles and I found a suitable seatpin and separate saddle clamp that does the job nicely. Is there any “how can I get this to fit onto there” bike problem that can’t be sorted with a part from SJS?

flange
    Free Member

umop3pisdn – That, as they say is a whopper.

Do you only TT on fixed? I’m quite TT fixed curious (ahem) but have MANY questions.

And Njee – thank you. That saves me sending him an email…!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Haha flange, it’s not sold yet! If it’s not sold by the time I’ve stripped it down I’ll pop it on the classifieds.

flange
    Free Member

Bugger…

jb89
    Free Member

Budget…

My entire TT bike cost the same as your stem!!!

Nice build though 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Chap in my first ever club did everything on fixed. Had a good bike for the summer and time trials, and a mudguarded up bike for winter, commuting and touring. Everything from youth hostelling in scotland (after riding there first) to the RTTC national 12hr all on fixed………

I think he was a bit odd.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I presume it’s a bit like SSing, you just get used to it and the shortcomings aren’t as bad as they first look. Most people can pedal from 40-120rpm, which is 300%, which is only a smidgen behind the range of a 11-25 – 38/52.

Is there a better place to be looking for track bikes than ebay? Most on there seem to be Planet-X’s which is fine, but they’re £500-£700, the same as a new one or not far off!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

umop3pisdn – That, as they say is a whopper.

Do you only TT on fixed? I’m quite TT fixed curious (ahem) but have MANY questions.

Yup! Everything from 10s to 100s (3:49 last year), and also tackling a 12hr this year.

Happy to answer any questions, either on here or my email is in my profile.

I presume it’s a bit like SSing, you just get used to it and the shortcomings aren’t as bad as they first look. Most people can pedal from 40-120rpm, which is 300%, which is only a smidgen behind the range of a 11-25 – 38/52.

Yeah pretty much this – it’s no way near as bad as people think. The people who slate it the most tend to have never ridden fixed. That said I think you need to devote a fair amount of time to it to get the most from it, and it’s not suited for really rolling courses (but is of course perfect for hillclimbing).

LFGSS is a good place to look.

You don’t have to spend loads, a friend built this mega cheap:

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Can I do a TT on my commuter bike, this?

mrblobby
    Free Member

UCI would I think say no as there isn’t a front triangle. CTT may allow it though.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Ahhh… I see yes.. 😉

It was the clear precursor of this:

😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

New BB collect+’ed…

In keeping with the budget theme…. at least it’s not Ceramic Speed 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How do you size up TT bikes? Assuming I ride a 56cm road bike (6ft, average proportions) and can touch my toes (and get my palms flat on the floor on a good day) so pretty flexible. Seems like track and TT bikes are 74+ seat angles, but still have 56cm top tubes, so do I look for a 56cm bike (with a subsequently long reach), or a 54cm (which would put the bars in the same place relative to the BB). I’m guessing the former as you’re never out of the saddle for very long?

The obvious answer is “ask your LBS” or “get a bike fit”, but my realistic budget for a 2nd hand frame/bike is probably less than the cost of a bike fit!

umop3pisdn,
    Out of interest, is that a track frame or a TT frame with a 130mm ‘track’ hub?

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Track frame, Cervelo T3. You can use a TT frame with a 130mm fixed hub, but the track ends on TT bikes tend to be quite short so gear choice can be difficult.

Sizing is a funny one, I tend to go for a similar top tube length to my road bike cos I find a stretched out position works well for me, but plenty of people advise going for a frame at least a size smaller.

A more forward saddle position isn’t necessarily the right way forward also, that’s an influence from the Tri world. My saddle is in pretty much the same position across road and TT bikes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How do you size up TT bikes?

Was a bit of trail and error here. Had a vague idea of stack and reach from putting clip on’s on the road bike. Went for a smaller frame that I knew could be made to fit initially even if it looked a bit silly, and had plenty of scope for position change. You can get some very adjustable clip/pole/pad combinations, combined with a normal stem, that then give you a lot of scope to change pad stack and reach (the Zipp Vuka Alumina poles will go under or over the base bar, and you can get up to 50mm of extra stack from risers, and they’ve got about 100mm of fore/aft adjustment on the poles, and the pad placement is independent of the clips. Throw in stem changes and you have a huge amount of adjustment.)

For a road frame I’d probably start looking at a 56″ but it really depends on the numbers as want a long reach and low stack. I went for a medium with the Stealth and a 54″ for the Cervelo.

TINAS, as you’re so close, you’re welcome to have a play on mine if you’re curious.

A more forward saddle position isn’t necessarily the right way forward also, that’s an influence from the Tri world. My saddle is in pretty much the same position across road and TT bikes.

One consequence of TT’ing is that my road position is moving closer to that on the TT bike. Saddle position is pretty close now, hip angle is pretty close on the drops too. A fair bit faster now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer, I’d probably just find my epic beer belly gets in the way though!

I’m guessing I’m probably closer to a 56/large, which makes sense, my torso still has to fit between the saddle and bars regardless of the seat angle.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

Reading some of the earlier posts, can I just say you really dont NEED to spend a lot.
    My tips:
    Old style wheels are super cheap 2nd hand. Get an old 808 and a 19mm tyre (still possibly fastest you can get)
    Rear use a cover, tape it on with electrical tape, it will be super slippery!
    A cheap (and 2nd hand) aero bar is often the best option for a beginner as they are often the most adjustable which will gain you more speed than anything else.
    spend a few quid on a tt fit, then you can buy 2nd hand frames with confidence. Choose something with proven pedigree (p2 or similar)

Kit wise: Bell Javelin will be most peoples best bet and are around £50 if you shop around
    Velotoze are cheap
    Skinsuit- This is where I would spend money tbh. Keep an eye out for a bodypaint bioracer or nopinz suit

Despite what some people think you can make A LOT of the gains with getting an aero position without proper testing. Have a look at photos of yourself in races or even on the turbo (at the end of a session when tired). Test changes by riding club TTs. Usually enough of the same faces turn up to see moderate improvements in drag.

Im no athlete, pretty average on a road bike but I paid a bit of attention to my kit and position. 19.19 on p415, 19.26 on r10/17, 19.56 and course record on U7b. 49.20 on R25/7 – not the ski slope. 280.5 miles to win the Welsh 12 hr a couple of years ago.

Kryton57

Velotoze are cheap

But tear easily

mrblobby
    Free Member

m no athlete, pretty average on a road bike but I paid a bit of attention to my kit and position.

Those results would suggest otherwise. 🙂

The aero thing is huge though, you just need to plug the numbers into a drag/power/speed calculator to see how much a small reduction in drag is worth. There’s a topic over on the time trialling forum about what power you needed to break 20 minutes on a 10 and it’s a considerable range, even for same course and same day. Some very slippy riders out there.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Balls, that’s not going to fit either…

Time for another re-think. The Park Tools routing kit is saving my sanity.

Would be so much easier if Pro had built in a nice little access cover on the underside of the base bar.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Andy Wilkinson’s bike although not cheap does go to show you do not have to follow the standard route to get a good aero position.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/andy-wilkinsons-dolan-time-trial-bike-29431

TheBrick
    Free Member

Andy Wilkinson’s bike although not cheap does go to show you do not have to follow the standard route to get a good aero position.
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/andy-wilkinsons-dolan-time-trial-bike-29431

mrblobby
    Free Member

I love that he commutes on that too!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Dragged mine out of the attic last night and had a fiddle with the gears.

They work. As long as i don’t move the handlebars……. I’m either going to need to use a tandem inner and 2 metres of outer to get a smooth run for the rear mech. Or go Di2. :/

Or get some of the segmented aluminium outer for the bar/frame interface. In fact, looking at it. It’d probably need an entire set due to the amount of cabling round there.

Doubles my budget. Bugger.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The segmented stuff is good. I went for nokon and it transformed the rear shifting on my PX from unusable to almost tolerable. Got some spare now 🙂

Got the bars routed in the end. Managed to get a junction box and all the loose cabling in each of the bull horns… but then remembered I needed to run a brake cable through there as well. All back out and try again 😕

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks to some free time babysitting for some mates tonight I got the bars all cabled up. Just a single Di2 cable and both brake cables out the exit holes to the stem. Tidy.

A junction box in each bullhorn and lots of thinking about where the loose cable is going. And remembering the brake cables too!

Next step is to plug it all together next and hope it all works.

Apologies this is taking so long. Must be finished by next weekend though as it’s first test of the season and my old bike is in bits.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It lives!

What a massive faff that was. Spent about two whole evenings just trying out various routing options. The internal routing kit was a help. As was a bit of wire taped to the end of a straw. Had to dremel the hole under the BB, the exit hole near the front mech, and the exit hole at the bottom of the down tube. Then it was a lot of fishing about to thread the cables through. There’s an annoying bulkhead just above the BB with a tiny hole in it. A massive PITA in getting into the seat tube from the BB area.

Incredibly it all seems to work 🙂

Anyway, almost done now, pretty much all Di2 internally routed. Just a hole on the top tube to drill behind the stem.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not sure if you already know this trick, or if it would work on every frame. But put a hoover upto the hole you want the cable to come out of, take a bit of cotton thread and feed it into the other end and let the hoover do the work.

Heard it on a bike forum and used it on the boat a few times for getting rope to where it needs to be.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I did have a can of compressed air and some thread that I had planned to use. Didn’t need it in the end.

Main problem was the internal bulkheads and the holes being just a little too small for the di2 connectors. Just needed to find the right combination of cables and junctions.

ferrals
    Free Member

know nothing about TT, but if you are super worried about aero, wouldn’t a 1 by system be better? the box on that front mech looks bulky.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would be, and it is tempting. If I had two bikes for racing and training I’d set the main race one up as 1x. But I don’t. Maybe later in the season I might try it.

Front mech looks bulkier in that photo than it actually is. Smaller than the old 10 speed Di2 on the road bike I think.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 284 total)

The topic ‘A bike build… time trialling on a budget’ is closed to new replies.