Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 9speed 135mm spacing problem??
  • thomasraelburke
    Free Member

my 9 speed rear wheel wont fit in a 135mm dropout spacing on a new frame. the hub fits in but the tyre isnt centred and rubs the inside of chainstay? can anyone tell me why, im sure you can.. and what if any thing i can do? cheers

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

sorry should point out its a new frame to me, it was born 2002 i think

james
    Free Member

Could be a number of things:

Bent (not centred) frame (should be visible by eye)

Wheel (massively) out of true, the whole thing off to one side (again should be obvious)

I reckon most likely though is that your hub has been rebuilt wrongly. For eg if its a cup/cone (one with nuts on a threaded axle) and the spacers/nuts/etc.. have been rebuilt in the wrong order/sides shoving the whole wheel off centre when in the frame

Could be something else though, or a combination?

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

its a deore xt hub fh-m765 and is like you say i think. frame seems ok wheel is ok and fits in my other frame with 135mm spacing. do some 135 not take 9 speed?

singlespeedstu

Try putting the wheel in the other way round with the disc on the drive side.

If it's still off center on the same side the frame's out if it's off center on the opposite side it's your wheel that's out.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

cheers did that, it was off centre to the opposite side as before, so my wheel is out? what do i do about that then…ha

james
    Free Member

Its probably either the wheel trueing is out loads (All to one side) or the spacers/nuts/etc are arranged in the wrong order/on the wrong sides on the axle. Have a look through the tech documents for your hub on shimanos website and try to figure out if its been (re)assembled correctly?

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

good man cheers.

carlosg
    Free Member

Asymmetric chainstays?

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

carlosg, not familier with what youre on about?

hub seems fine though… as i said it fits straight into my jump bike

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

the frame is a giant nrs dont think it has asymetric chainstays. i think i had a old marin before which had the same problem…

rootes1

dish on the wheel is wrong it needs redishing.

you can do this yourself – if you not done anything wheel related you shoudl take a look at this:

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

money back if you think it is rubbish.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

thanks rootes1, i havent really done much to wheels before so if i attempt it, it may be worth having a look at that e book.
    is it definatly just out of dish though.
    i would have thought, granted from my limited knowledge about bikes, that if the wheel was out of dish it wouldnt fit in any frame i put it in, but it fits fine in my commencal cromo?
    after raking my memory i do remember a old marin having the same problem a few years back. i eventually took it into a shop and they just said it was a 8 speed or 7 speed frame i cant remember which, and showed me by putting a 7/8 speed wheel in it and it fit perfect. dont know how reliable the shop was though as lbs around me arnt great.
    are 7/ 8 speed wheels aligned differently to 9? although all fit in 135mm of space?

coatesy
    Free Member

7,8 or 9 shouldn't affect the frame fit as long as its a 135mm, unless somebody has fitted a 7 freehub body to a 8/9 hub(or vice-versa)without re-dishing the wheel to suit the different freehub widths.

james
    Free Member

"but it fits fine in my commencal cromo?"

Perhaps that is bent (it is steel)? But in such a way the wheel fits (either the wheel being out of dish, or perhaps the spacers are wrong

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

thanks i'll go down the dished wheel route… maybe try and borrow another 9 speed and try that in it.

thomasraelburke
    Free Member

think i may have figured out why it was fitting in my commencal… the commy has horizontal drop outs so was easy to hide the dish. bit pissed really since it was a lbs who put the wheel on for me after he wanted to buy former said marin frame!!! seems probable that wheel was out of dish all the time and he just fed me a load of bs about old 8 speed frames 135 not taking 9 speed…etc.
    havent managed to put a wheel in the giant yet though so just wonder what other walls im gonna come across haha i love building bikes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘9speed 135mm spacing problem??’ is closed to new replies.