Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 953 Frames
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Don’t see many of these about? Why?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

All broken.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Only a few companies make them
    Long wait for one to be made, as most are custom only
    Expensive
    debatable why anyone would want one
    Ti is cheaper

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Only a few companies make them
    Long wait for one to be made, as most are custom only
    Expensive
    debatable why anyone would want one
    Ti is cheaper

Sounds perfik for the average STW nichemonger……

🙂

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

‘dreams’ ….If only they came in 29er…. ‘dreams’

chiefgrooveguru

Cy from Cotic addresses this in that IMechE lecture on YouTube – the gist of it is that it’s so strong you can make a frame extremely light – but also very flexy. Add material to make it stiff enough and it ends up about as heavy as 853, is way stronger than it needs to be and costs a bomb.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Here are a few: Rourke, Anderson.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, but it’s shiny! And pretty:

Doesn’t need painting, so would be lighter than an 853 frame by a little bit. As for ‘flexy’; I had a go on a Cotic once (Soul), found it too stiff. So, 953 would probbly be fine for me. And in fairness, Cotic is an importer, whereas the likes of Rourke and Anderson are actually frame builders, and their stuff is much, much nicer imo.

tonyg2003

It’s a pain to work with – according to a frame builder friend. You do see a few 953 road bikes, but apart from not rusting and going unpainted if you want, there aren’t any major advantages to it over 853 or Ti.

69er
    Free Member

I’m with Elfin, very aesthetically pleasing.

Seen too many Ti frames crack.

Keep it real (if you’re a lottery winner) 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting that steel has reached a point where it’s strength-to-weight ratio is actually greater than can be taken advantage of!

Cotic is an importer, whereas the likes of Rourke and Anderson are actually frame builders, and their stuff is much, much nicer imo

Erm I think he may design stuff?

chiefgrooveguru

Indeed he does!

I really like the idea of getting a handmade British frame – however the engineer in me says that you’re not going to get as good performance as from a frame that’s been thoroughly designed using techniques like FEA for optimisation.

This is very interesting: Reynolds alloy characteristics

Note that stiffness to weight is almost constant for all these alloys, whether they’re aluminium, steel, magnesium or titanium based.

damo2576
    Free Member

That is interesting, looks like 953 has the same stiffness and 853 say but about 30% more strength?

Does that mean you could run thinner walls?

funkynick

Yes, you can have thinner walled tubes than 853 for the same strength, but by doing so you will lose stiffness.

You can of course increase tube diameter to increase stiffness to counter this, but as the tubes would have a larger diameter there would be more metal… so increasing the weight.

So, it’d be whether the decrease in weight by thinning the ways offsets the increase in weight by increasing tube diameter…

damo2576
    Free Member

Or you add stiffness by changing tube shape?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ooh….

Gallery cos pics ain’t working.

Oh sod it bloody stupid thing.

You can keep yer FEA optimised bike. I’ll have one of these instead, and I’ll be happier and sexier. 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member
    Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ta Geetee!

geetee1972
    Free Member

You can keep yer FEA optimised bike. I’ll have one of these instead, and I’ll be happier and sexier.

Thought you were supposed to be a communist 😉

It is absolutely stunning though isn’t it.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes, you can have thinner walled tubes than 853 for the same strength, but by doing so you will lose stiffness.

but if you can have the same or larger diameter tubes (plus thinner walls and dent resistance) you can still have the stiffness.
    i have a steel road bike with oversize tubes (38mm d/t) with .5-.38 butting. would definitely go stainless if i was looking to save a bit more weight and gain corrosion resistance.

funkynick

But a tubes stiffness is dependent on the tube diameter and wall thickness… so by making the wall thickness thinner you are losing stiffness in the 953 tubes.

damos.. any tube shape that could be used for the 953 could also be used for the 853, and it’s just simpler doing the comparison using round tubes! Do they even make anything other than round tubes in 953?

cynic-al
    Free Member

A frame builder has told me it’s diameter that affects stiffness rather than wall thickness.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Thought you were supposed to be a communist

Well, as I said earlier, you are wrong.

It is absolutely stunning though isn’t it.

Oh yes. I love the way the painted bits actually accentuate the polished lugs. Gorgeous.

chiefgrooveguru

A frame builder has told me it’s diameter that affects stiffness rather than wall thickness.

Just did some quick maths on this, comparing the second moment of area vs mass for two tubes. If you double the diameter whilst halving the wall thickness the second moment of area quadruples (i.e. resistance to bending) whilst the mass stays the same.

However, that’s in a perfect world! In the real world, the thinner the tube walls, then more likely they are to buckle due to being imperfect shapes. There’s also the issue of crash damage causing dents which make this even worse, hence very thin walled tubes being a bad idea for MTBs.

So although 953 could be used to make a lighter and equally stiff frame by using larger tube profiles to make up for the reduction in stiffness allowed by the thinner walls, going to those large diameters tubes means the walls have to go thinner still to keep the weight down. Viable on-road, not so wise on anything that’s going to be crashed in the name of fun.

ampthill

chiefgroove beat me to it

Its wall thickness that is the issue with making tubes stiffer be increasing diameter. Steel tubes can already feel flexy and thin to the touch

crazy-legs

Cy had a 953 Cotic once, it was custom made for him by Reynolds to show what they could do with the tubing. It was a phenomenal bike, Cy very kindly let me ride it on a Peaks day out once and it was SO much fun. Really stiff front end with the Magura forks but the back end was light and skippy. Great bike.

Cy broke it a few months later. 953 just isn’t strong enough for MTBs yet. Mind you it wasn’t that long ago that they said the same about 853 – you could get 853 road bikes way before you they’d worked out how to make strong, light MTBs out of it.

clwydrider
    Free Member

I think that my Rourkie 953 road bike was worth every penny. The tubes are ovalised to add stiffness around the bottom bracket so I cannot see why they could not be shaped to suit a MTB.
    I not sure that a 953 frame would add that much over an 853 on a mtb as the main advantage on the road is the ride quality(which is unbelievable) as the tyre pressure/volume would probably effect this more than frame material given identicle geometry.
    Anyhow I don’t need much of an excuse to post a picture of my Rourkie!

Rourkie on Viaduct 100 2 by needsc, on Flickr

epicyclo

What I like about Ti and 953 isn’t their superiority as a material, although that’s a plus, but the lack of a need for a painted finish which inevitably gets scratched or faded.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Non oversized 953 tubes are already down to 0.3mm thick,thinner and you start getting serious problems with denting.If you just went oversized and kept the same wall thickness it would just be heavier.

cy

The main problem I found with 953 is that for MTB’s it’s not possible to get thick enough tubing (almost regardless of diameter) to take the loads a compact frame and 400mm seatpost + offroad riding put on a frame. The seat tube is where mine went, and I didn’t do another one because Reynolds can’t get material any thicker I was used on that frame. The head tube also suffers from this problem. All the other tubes were much lighter than their 853 counterparts on the Soul, and the whole frame weighed in at 3.7lbs for the large. Not quite Soda weight, but giggly light nonetheless. And it looked GORGEOUS. I’m not normally one for this kind of outpouring, but it is a lovely thing. It’s hanging up on the wall at the workshop in fact. The main drawback at the time was a lack of a cromo equivalent tubing in thicker walls to get around these problems. It was either crazy strong/thin/expensive 953, or 304 grade which is basically chemical pipe and is really weak. Shame though. I’d love to do something more with it. I should give Reynolds a call and find out where they are with it.

You’ll see road frames out there because it allows trad steel builders to build nearly ti weight frames without having to learn too much in the way of different manufacturing techniques. It works for those frames because the seat tube and head tube loads are that much lower that you can build lovely long lasting frames.

damo2576
    Free Member

What was the max thickness they can get with 953?

MrSmith
    Free Member

leggyblonde
    Free Member

what about building MTBs out of this stuff?

http://www.kvastainless.com/shop/

similar yield strength and young’s modulus to 953 but available in thicker tube walls and larger diameters.

I want a kva/953 cross bike, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

compositepro
    Free Member

953 corrodes…..well stains….it needs the same carefully purging as ti to weld….tube sizes and wall thickness at Reynolds current list is mainly for road

epicyclo

I’ve got an old The Flying Scot frame (Nervex Pro lugs). I’d love to have it retubed with 953 shiny stuff.

This possible, or do I have to settle for 853?

aP
    Free Member

Isn’t it an American produced tubing anyway?

MisterT

Don’t forget the alternative to 953 stainless is Columbus XcR Stainless… made in Italy… makes a wonderfully light and strong frame. But iirc neither are designed for MTB builds… guess they can be used for lightweight XC use, but nothing burlier. XcR brought out an oversized tubeset last year officialy for road use, but guess it’s potential for a MTB frame build.

jameso

had a 953 Genesis MTB made a couple of years ago, rode nicer than anything else i’d ridden inc a ti version with same angles, passed CEN but broke in further testing ( it was of the earlier-produced 953 tubesets so may well have broken on the trail.

Some improvements in production method and metallurgy mean it’s far less crack-prone now though.

woodsman
    Free Member

The reason we’re not seeing mtb frames in stainless is that the manufacturers aren’t producing the butting profiles suitable for mtb frames yet. As it is a new (difficult to believe I know) material for bike frames, all the manufacturers have started by producing road tubing only. There is no reason other than economics and market testing as to why mtb tubing isn’t produced in the suitable butting at the moment. It will happen.

On the frame builders forum there are a few custom builders who have started to incorporate stainless into mtb builds, but they are using a mixture of steel and stainless to produce a frame of the correct butting strength. Another issue these builders have found, is that the tubing isn’t as easy to bend and shape (chainstays/seatstays) so again it is necessary to wait for the correct tubing to be manufactured with the tyre clearance for mtb’s.

The ultimate would be to fillet braze the tubes with silver solder – none of this vulgar TIG welding! 😉 Again it boils down to cost.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

KVA do heavier guage than reynolds as well as plain guage tubes. At NHBS this year there were a few KVA MTBs.

The difficulty in bending to shape is a valid point and it will be interesting to see what happens with further tube shapes and profiles.

it needs the same carefully purging as ti to weld

does this apply to brazing of 953?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘953 Frames’ is closed to new replies.