Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • 924 Porsche…tell me what you know
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Been toying for ages I know the 944 is better looking but something about the 924 is appealing

Car looking at is a 2.5 (auto) yes I know auto but they seem to be less thrashed…

2.5 is a Porsche engine not a VW

Any advice gladly taken

argoose
    Free Member

Engine in boot IIRC

damo2576
    Free Member

Postpone mid life crisis until you can get a pre 89 911?

wwaswas

Get a 928 🙂

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Postpone mid life crisis until you can get a pre 89 911?

And some skidpan time in it!

deepreddave
    Free Member

Elastic bands are the cheapest way of taming your ponytail.

NZCol

Get to know your local indy Porsche garage well. In fact DD your salary there.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

yes it is midlife crises material !

Wifes car Nissan Almera Tino

My car 2000 Nissan Micra !

Wifes car used to be a C270 that was fun I was fulfilled !

I need some fun !

mboy
    Free Member

2.5 Porsche engines are ridiculously overbuilt (blocks been known to run 1000+ bhp when tuned to the hilt), but… VERY expensive should you need to fix anything.

The 2 litre VW engined cars are much more basic, but much cheaper to run. It’s essentially the same 2 litre 8 valve as was fitted to Audi 80’s and VW Passats of the time (essentially it’s a sightly longer stroke version of the 8v Mk2 GTi engine iirc), but you can buy all your spare parts from anywhere that sells VW bits and pieces.

IMO, an Auto completely defeats the point of a car like that (lightweight and RWD with engine up front), so I’d not bother myself. But that said, if it’s immaculate and dirt cheap, it could be luxury motoring in style (sort of) on a budget.

spchantler
    Free Member

yes it is midlife crises material !

join a swingers club? it’ll be a lot cheaper and way more fun….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have a look at a late 90s Boxters. A friend bought one that had one owner with full service history that had been sitting in it’s garage for the last few years. 80000 miles. Paint a bit flat, but no mechanical issues. Price haggled down to £5k.

A weekend with some T cut and a DIY valet of the interior and it looks great.

The bodies are galvanised so no body rot to worry about and 2.7 engine is unstressed.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

^mrs not up for that ! (what club do you recommend ?)

NZCol

There are significantly more fun cars than a 924 on a budget. I have a 993 (second one, sold firt then had sellers remorse !) which is to make up for my small pe…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Poor mans Porsche back in the day!

igrf
    Free Member

I’ll tell you what I know.

They’re crap, they were an apology for a car in their day, the original hairdressers vehicle, if you happened to be female and didn’t want to drive too fast. They lost the back end at just the hint of a greasy road, too much weight in the ends. No idea if and when they ever had a proper Porsche Engine, my memory of it was a VW Audi lump, bested speed and handling wise by a Golf Gti of the period.

Nicer looking was the 944, but it’s handling wasn’t much better and was a bitter disappointment to me when I bought one having traded a perfectly decent Toyota Supra, snobbishly a victim to badge marketing as I was.

If I were looking for some genuine mid life crisis classic Porsche thing, try and find a 356 or even build one of those kit versions there are about..

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I have no advice or anything to offer, but I really really fancy a 944 – seems like a good balance of interesting and attainable.

Also one of the top 5 coolest cars on the road.

RustySpanner

There’s a great thread on Pistonheads by a young lad who has one.

They now seem to be very highly rated indeed by those in the know.
    I’d ignore most of the total arse gravy posted above and go and have a search on there.

Basil

Got very close to buying 968 (best front engined Porsche)
    Then looked at parts prices.
    You may find as I did that I could afford to buy the car,but could I afford to run it????????????

br
    Free Member

At that age, years’ MOT will probably double its value…

satchm00
    Free Member

If you haven’t seen already worth watching this fantastic video article,

http://vimeo.com/57909173

Warning Porsche related content enclosed!

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…would a childs seat fit in the back of a 924 or 944 ? (3yr old and 5 yrold type of seat) ?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few for,under a grand, surely worth it at that price.

footflaps

Great link, very jealous…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Loved the film too. More envious of the shed than the car though.

stratobiker
    Free Member

We had a Porsche once.
    Never again.

I hated it like i’ve never hated any other car.

I’ve had Renaults that were better, and more fun!

Not much help!!!

Soz!

SB

starsh78
    Free Member

My 944 The best car i have ever owned.

edlong
    Free Member

944’s a better car, but depends on what you’re willing to spend – a couple of grand will get you an okay(ish) 944 or a really good 924. The problem will be finding a good 924, they weren’t well regarded back in the day, and changed hands for so little money that properly looked after ones are less common than 944s.

Don’t buy an automatic though !!

For a bit more dough, and stupid servicing costs, and crippling fuel consumption, the pick of the cheap old front engined Porsches has to be the 928. £5 – 8 K gets you on the road with a proper big V8 and serious big grins.

hora
    Free Member

How much snot and ground in stained semen must there be in those cars?

edlong
    Free Member

Owned one then hora?

starsh78
    Free Member

I paid £1200 for my 944 and it needed a new gearbox and driveshafts £400 later she was a fully sorted beast not a peep since.

my advice take on a project but get one that has had the sills done recently. as these rot like a funker.

good examples are changing hands for 3500

Brother_Will
    Free Member

If your not bothered about what you look like in it and MX5 will be infinitely more fun and a whole lot more reliable. I know its got a hair dressers image but underneath that is a fully competent chassis more than capable of bringing a smile to your face.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

924 has 4 seats though, innit.

Worth taking a look at the ebay buyers’ guide

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-924-Buying-Guide?ugid=10000000004643150

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

928 was one of my fav’s

righog
    Free Member

satchm00 – Member

This Video is well worth a watch, I will be chasing up the linked videos as well. Thanks for posting it 😀

edlong
    Free Member

Got very close to buying 968 (best front engined Porsche)
    Then looked at parts prices.

Didn’t make that many 968s though did they? 13K made, against 120K 924s and 163K 944s, so 968 parts are always going to be harder to find / more expensive. Although the 968 was sort of based on the 944, there’s not that much on them that’s common (hence the re-designated model number).

Best front engined Porsche is the 928 btw.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think you really need to be looking at one of these, best “bag per buck” I’d say.

Then you can get you and your wife one of these each. Pretend she’s your co driver when you go for a Sunday drive out. You’ll definitely get bonus points for that!

dthom3uk

I’ve owned a 944 S2 for the last ten years. If you get a good one they are excellent cars and more practical than you think. Ours gets used everyday. We’ve driven it to Austria and back and even managed to get a mountain bike, a crate of beer, my cricket bag and my wife’s luggage in it.

You’ll need to get it serviced every 12 months and you can expect to pay on average £750 each time. Our car has been serviced by Strasse in Leeds since day one and I couldn’t recommend them enough.

If you look carefully there are a few 944 Turbo’s kicking about.

There is a good ownership network, there’s plenty of advice online and parts don’t seem to be an issue.

Go for it.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

You can fit a mountain bike in a 944? That’s it, I’m definitely getting one…
    Got any pics? I always liked this one;

Matt24k
    Free Member

924 = Poor man’s Porsche or rich man’s Capri.
    At least the 2.5 is a proper Porsche engine but an auto! Don’t do it.
    As suggested above get yourself over to Pistonheads for some more serious advice.

dthom3uk

No. I basically took the wheels off and pedals to get it in.

I bought some wheel bags to try and keep the boot clean.

Like, I say once the seats are folded you have much more space than you imagine. Tiff Needell always said the 944 Turbo was one of his favorite cars as he had one during his early racing career and he drove it all over Europe with all his race gear in the back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘924 Porsche…tell me what you know’ is closed to new replies.