Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • 9/11 – where/what were you doing…
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It's not so much a matter of anticipating trouble as normal working practices.

There was no validity in their deployment. Trust me, I was there. I have also studied the law surrounding the deployment of riot police/TSG. There was no justification on this occasion (backed up by the fact that several people won cases against the police following incidents of police treatment of demonstrators). No, the Babylonians were sent in to kettle the demonstrators so that the Death Mongers could make good their escape.

Normal Working Practices my arse. Don't give me that. The police's job is to uphold Law and Order. Not kettle British Citizens exercising their legal democratic rights. The police are as beholden to the Law as is anyone. They're not a private army employed to protect foreign Death Mongers over British Citizens.

julianwilson
    Free Member

At work, then in respiratory/acute medicine. Unlike the boatman, I can't remember the patients' names but I had C and D bays on Hexworthy ward and I remember their faces like it was last week. It was before 'patient-line' so we had one telly at the end of each bay, and I remember watching the 2nd plane and the towers collapsing as I worked my way round the run-of-the-mill blood pressures/dressings/commodes etc just thinking how lucky we were to be half way round the world from it and how unbelievably easy my job was compared to anyone in an NY hospital. I didn't really think about the human cost, families etc at first, it just seemed all so unreal.

Derriford hospital is near an airport and between 7 and 12 stories high depending one whether you are at the bottom or top of the hill its built on. In the 90's one of the emergency plans/drills was based on the evacuation of complete stories or 'halves' of the tower part in the event of a plane hitting the building, using alternative lift shafts and fire control zones. I wonder what that plan looks like these days…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They obviously saw you lot as part of a global terrorist attack…

A bunch of White mainly middle class Trustafarians? I was one of the only Brown people there!

Anyway's up. Thousands of innocents died that day. Tomorrow I will spend a moment in contemplation of those lost souls. Their slaughter was utterly disgusting, as is the slaughter of innocents across the globe.

Hohum
    Free Member

Where has mastiles_fanylion gone?

I was hoping for a good debate about the USA's foreign policy and their neo-conservative leadership 😉

What happened was horrible and it shook me, but after reading up on modern geo-political history you could see it coming.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Derriford hospital

**** me I've been treated there! As was my nan before she died.

Hohum
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    They obviously saw you lot as part of a global terrorist attack…
    A bunch of White mainly middle class Trustafarians? I was one of the only Brown people there!

Anyway's up. Thousands of innocents died that day. Tomorrow I will spend a moment in contemplation of those lost souls. Their slaughter was utterly disgusting, as is the slaughter of innocents across the globe.

The …s were instead of a 😉

My remark was tongue in cheek, honestly.

Hohum
    Free Member

double post, sorry.

mooman
    Free Member

In work – guy came into work ( we call him the dinner-lady because he likes to gossip ) and said a plane had crashed into a skyscraper in USA … ignored him as usual …

Got home the wife said plane had crashed. Big news …

Turned Tv on to see one of the twin towers collapse … hmmmm

Went to pick boy up from school (rugby training) … small talk conversation …. muslims were blamed asap …. kinda correct infact.

Friend phoned bit later … been to warehouse. Couldn`t understand why bunch of pakistanis were kinda celebrating something to do with USA …

Rest is history I guess…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

S'ok Ho hum. I kind of got what you were saying!

Too often, the innocent suffer, while the guilty get away with murder.

Thousands of innocent people. When I watch the footage now, all I see is all those souls being extinguished. Without reason.

Jeeze.

And the ones you saw jumping from the burning building. 80 odd floors up. WTF man. You saw people jumping to their deaths. As though it was TV entertainment.

I'll never ever forget that image. ****.

disben

I was working in RD & E (Exeter) at the time (not a doc or nurse – sorry) as a Porter. Took a patient into a ward, and spotted it on the TV. asked the patient if he would like to see what was happening and together we watched the second plane fly in. I then carried on to take the patient to his bed. Took a break and watched some it in A&E.

I studied the subject at Uni and the next essay we wrote about was designing buildings against terrorist attacks.

I was also in London during the summer of 2005 and was very involved in the response to that incident. I hope and pray that we never have to deal with something like these events again, but unfortunately I think that some people will try again and again…

Andy-W
    Free Member

at a pool bar in Milia, like most people just thought it was a movie trailer.

brakes
    Free Member

I was driving between Newport and Cowes on the Isle of Wight, listening to Radio 1 and Mark and Lard announced the first crash.
    Got home and sat glued to the TV for the rest of the day.
    Saw the second crash live on the BBC.
    Madness.

mrchrispy

working my notice in newcastle so I spending the days bumming about in IRC channels and it all kicked off. ended up going into the northern electric shop next to our office and watching it on the TV's when the internet died (didn't take long). Was very worried as I knew the brothing-law was in NYC and that he was planning on visiting the WTC that day, turns out he was on the corner of the next block having breakfast at the time….we didn't hear from him till late that night.

the world changed that day….very much for the worse.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Standing over bike at Bathgate bmx track and someone said "have you seen that on the tv.. planes flying into the towers?"

Didnt know much else about it for the next couple of hours then it was all there to be seen on tv when i arrived home.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I was a t work. To be honest I didn't think that much of it. I do have compassion so I thought it was terrible thing but I was much less shocked by it than I am when I see some of the shit that is going off in the Congo / Rwanda or when I've read about incidence that happened by pol pot, or the issues in eastern Europe e.t.c. It just never seem like that big a deal compared to most of the other atrocities that occurred over the previous decade.

white101

I was lying in bed and woke at around 5pm (nightshft)with the radio alarm clock ging off, thinking to myself CIA. Then I woke up a bit and saw the tv, still can't get my head around it.
    Spent the next few weeks waiting to get called up, having not long left forces

tandemwarriors

I was in Toulouse in a meeting at Airbus.
    French guy came running into the room talking at a million miles an hour to his French colleagues before one of them translated for us. Went back to the hotel and watched the news (in French), jaw on the floor.
    That night met some guys in the restaraunt from Pratt & Whitney who were stuck in Toulouse due to all the flights being grounded. They had family who worked in the WTC and couldn't get in contact.

Scary.
    Rob

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

It just never seem like that big a deal compared to most of the other atrocities that occurred over the previous decade.

I can understand that, and of course it gets more coverage than the conflicts in Rwanda and congo etc. And n no way should it be considered any greater a tragedy; all Human Life is equal.

But it was the instantaneous nature of the destruction; you're watching thousands die when you see those towers collapse. Thousands. That's what will always stand out for me. Utterly sickening.

andytherocketeer

Was at Alenia Spazio in Turin, 1st week of new job. Think it was a Thursday, flew back to Holland for the weekend, the next day, which was spooky.
    Someone on the team, who was surfing rather than working, mentioned a plane crashing in to first tower, and we just assumed it was a Cessna or something… until we saw BBC News24 and CNN that evening in major breaking news loop mode.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

But yeah; there are horrific things happening all over the World, and we should all be acutely aware of these atrocities in the same way as we were of 9/11. Too much 'out of sight, out of mind'.

colnagokid

got up off night shift at about 2pm, never moved from the telly untill had to go back to work at 9.45pm

Staberind
    Free Member

9/11 has no strong meaning to me, maybe a slide show, compared to the more immediate 7/7 bombs, especially considering that my bank (co-op)was in the Angel, Islington.
    My personal banker was among those murdered on a bus going to work,
    A really nice woman, with a habit of wearing scary blue contact lenses, they really stood out, considering she was a Muslim.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

On holiday in Halkidiki, Greece.

it didn't seem real or even imaginable that people would do such a thing.

The plane home was Ok as most folk had got the message from the papers / holiday rep regarding all the no scissors in your hand luggage rules etc.

The whole affair seems even stranger if you read "The New Pearl Harbor" by David Ray Griffin.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It was an event waiting to happen on the soils of the arguably the largest terrorist country in the world.

You're a c0ck

Where has mastiles_fanylion gone?

Went to bed and judging by your post, it was past your bedtime too…

TheFlyingOx

Sat in front of a balance, divvying up 1kg of 100% pure, weapons-grade cocaine into smaller portions.

bol

I'd found out that my dad had a terminal brain tumour three days earlier, so wasn't in the best of spirits. When my wife rang me at work and told me a plane had flown into the side of the world trade centre and that it was a terrorist attack, my first thought was that flying a light aircraft into the side of such a huge building was a rather odd way to make a point.
    I can remember the sinking feeling I had when I realised what had actually happened – partly for the poor people in the planes and buildings, and partly (and selfishly) for the fact that the huge grief that I and my family were feeling had been so comprehensively overshadowed (or put into perspective, as I later felt).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Having our 2nd wedding anniversary while stuck in a hotel in Norwich 200 miles from the missus!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Watching it unfold on TV at home. I had the day off to pack ready for our flight on September 12th to…America. Needless to say, that didn't happen!

grumm
    Free Member

Very weird day for me

Started by dropping someone off at work a prison which was a little odd, then as I was driving back an old guy on a bike hit a pothole and went over the bars in front of me – landed on his head and was bleeding pretty badly out of his ear. Didn't look good.

I stopped to help, call an ambulance etc – there was a woman who also stopped who went over the road to get a towel to try and stop the bleeding, and as she was crossing the road got run over by a car.

Came home and the news was on – at that point they thought it was probably an accident as only the first plane had hit, but then the second plane hit.

Really fecked up day.

edit: I know this sounds awful – but it was probably one of the most amazing, if not the most amazing thing on TV I've ever seen – and I don't mean that as in celebrating it.

organic355
    Free Member

I was at work in San Francisco, got sent home from work as there were fears the golden gate bridge, BART or the financial district could also be targets!! Pretty scary stuff.

slimtubing
    Free Member

heard about it at 5.30 am on the radio as me and 3 mates were off for a couple of days snowboarding, the cheery morning "crew" were clearly shaken and apologised for not being able to make anyone laugh as they were so freaked out, initial reports estimated 35,000 deaths so i figured i'd better get a good day in on the slopes as the northern hemisphere was probbly gonna be toast by the end of the day. realy didn't feel like I should have been frivoulously enjoying myself as thousands met an awful death.

petrieboy

I was a student so watched the whole thing on rolling news. Remember thinking what a terrible accident but then when the second plane hit it all came into focus and it was obviously a terrorist attack. I'll never forget the sick feeling in my stomach as I considered who the chimp in charge of Americas big red nuclear button was! I genuinely feared I was witnessing the beginning of the end of the world. Maybe it was.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

In Amsterdam with my then girlfriend.

The girl behind the counter in Global Chillage told us about it, but we were pretty far gone and didn't really take it in. I think she thought we were Americans because my girlfriend was wearing an LA Lakers tee shirt.

Watched the footage on Sky News at the hotel, then went and watched an American comedy troupe. Discussed the events with a nice Irish couple who were sat beside us.

coogan
    Free Member

Was at work when guy I work with walked in saying he'd heard on his car radio about a plane hitting the twin towers. Thought it was a light aircraft or something. Looked online just as they said another one hit. Knew right away it wasn't no accident. Stood in the boardroom with the rest of the office in complete silence watching it all on the news for hours. Plus I'd been standing underneath the towers about 3 weeks previous.

Alcopop
    Free Member

house sale had fallen through that morning so on a bit of a downer,went to the beach with my wife and daughter
    to lift our spirits met a guy in the car park on our way home who mentioned he'd heard on the news about a plane crashing into the twin towers like a few people before i assumed it was a light aircraft accident,got home flicked on the TV couldn't believe what i was seeing sat up all night watching it on CNN
    i'll spare a thought for those who lost there lives that day

ourmaninthenorth

Receiving text messages from Mrs North scared stiff for her father.

Her father was in working in New York that day. He had flow down from Boston the day before and had been working in the World Trade Centre on 10th september.

Lucky man, though he's completely sanguine about it.

(He and four other colleagues from the UK then tried to leave the USA. Somone suggested splitting up. He told them that was foolish, not least because one coleague was a Muslim with a big beard….)

geoffj

Camping in St Davids, Pembrokeshire.
    Listened to the coverage on Radio 5 and then stood in the Farmers Arms gawping at the TV for a couple of hours.

The most vivid memory were the pictures on the fronts of the papers on 12th though.

Nearly as vivid as when I heard about the Dunblane massacre.

crazy-legs

I was at a hotel in Heathrow. Specialized were having a dealer roadshow at this hotel, in a load of big basement rooms. Bike shop staff from all over that area went to the hotel and had a look at the shiny 2002 bikes due into their shops, few informal presentations etc. Anyway, about lunchtime I headed off with a journalist mate I'd met there, got a lift back into London with him. We were listening to some cassette he had on then it finished and on the news was Tony Blair speaking to the Teachers Union and saying that "in light of these terrible happenings I obviously can't give my speech…" We were screaming "WHAT'S HAPPENED?!" at the radio and it was AGES before it was announced that a plane had hit the WTC. Even then I was thinking Cessna or similar and wondering why TB would cancel a speech for that. Facts were still really scarce, no-one knew anything so the channels were jammed with speculation.

He dropped me off at Waterloo and I got the bus home, turned the TV on in time to see the first tower fall. Just sat there in complete disbelief.

Edit: a uni friend of mine had flown out of NY on the same flight the previous day! 😯

brant
    Free Member

I was driving to H&J wholesalers in Manchester, and heard it on the radio that the first plane hit. Bought some stuff, came back to Tod, picked son up from childminders, after the 2nd plane had hit.
    Got home, son wanted to watch "Bear in the Big Blue House" on the video, and at the time we only had one telly!

Incredibly, the day after I got an email from a New York based Planet X customer who was "very dissapointed" that the head tube badge had fallen off his Planet X Zebdi Trials frame.

jeff

I was riding on Exmoor, only heard the news back at the campsite that evening then saw a few pictures on the tv with no sound in the pub later on that day.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘9/11 – where/what were you doing…’ is closed to new replies.